Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Audio: Buy an XLR adapter or go with ex mic with 1/8in plug

I just bought a Panasonic AG-DVC30 and know I need an external mic but am wondering if it is really worth buying an XLR adapter considering the panasonic option (AG-MYA30G) runs a cool $230 and it seems even something from a 3rd party would still be at least $150. Couldn't I just put some of that money towards a good shotgun mic that has a 1/8 in plug? It will have to run off batteries but so what? Would I be compromising sound quality? I know most of these adapters give you two inputs but that's not super important to me at this point. Please advise. Any recommendations as far as mics (or cheaper adapters) would be very much appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio: Buy an XLR adapter or go with ex mic with 1/8in plug
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio: Buy an XLR adapter or go with ex mic with 1/8in plug
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From the pictures I see and what I read,

In reply to: Audio: Buy an XLR adapter or go with ex mic with 1/8in plug

that AG-MYA30G looks pretty cool - phantom power and all. It seems to have many of the features of the BeachTek DXA-6 I use (they are about the same price). One of the reasons I like the BeachTek is that is mounts to the bottom of my Sony HDR-HC1. Its cousin, the Sony HVR-A1 mounts the XLR adapter on the lens barrel (where the flip-up flash is on my HC1). That, with the mic, would be top and front-heavy - so I am happy with my current set up. My tripod or a cold shoe accessory handle to mount a mic, mounts to the bottom of the BeachTek. (If I use the accessory handle, I can mount the tripod to it...)

One of the main reasons for using balanced - XLR - connections is long cable runs. Balanced cables (XLR) substantially reduce the potential of picking up magnetically or electrically induced noise. If your mic is always stuck to your camera, then you don't need a long cable run. Another reason is splitting out the stereo connector (1/8 inch jack), though I am confident there are much cheaper ways to split that jack out to stereo than an XLR adapter, but you know you won't get phantom power (1/8 inch jacked mics don't do phantom power) and good shotguns with 1/8 inch jacks will likely use a battery.

That said, your camera is a good one. There is no reason for the mic to always be stuck to the camera - so you could end up with long cable runs...

A GOOD shotgun mic - like a Sennheiser - can cost over $1,000... Since I don't know what your definition of "good" is, I can only dance around your budget... Here's what I have in my kit:
BeachTek DXA-6
NRG Research SA-568 switchable mic
Shure wireless (UHF) lavalier
Shure wireless (UHF) SM-58 handheld (2)

I have used the SA-568 and the Shure lav simultaneously through the DXA-6 filming a short... and if I could have afforded it at the time, I would have gotten the DXA-6vu... The SA-568 can do 1/8 inch self-powered OR phantom powered XLR in "tele" or normal modes.

I have also heard and read good things about the Rode Video mic (the mono and stereo versions) - and their NT4 has made my short list for stereo mics, but I am currently leaning in the direction of the Audio Technica AT-825 (the Shure VP-88 is just too expensive but I have used one and it is a GREAT stereo mic)... The AT-822 is essentially the same mic in a 1/8 inch jack config.

Your advantage is your camera uses a standard cold-shoe accessory mount unlike the stupid Sony propriertary hot shoe I am stuck with...

Collapse -
Yes, you would be compromising quality.

In reply to: Audio: Buy an XLR adapter or go with ex mic with 1/8in plug

A good shotgun mic costs several hundred dollars, and is so directional that it should not be mounted on a camera.

That means using a lesser mic that is really not a shotgun at all. Unless you use a VERY GOOD isolation mount, it will pick up camera noise very easily. It will also never sound like it is very close to the sound source. An adaptor plus cable and mic stands will allow you to get the mics close to the sound source.

However, an external mic such as you describe will probably do a better job than the built in mic.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.