TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Audio and Video Wiring

by raildew / June 22, 2005 6:35 AM PDT

OK - I am pretty new at all this tech stuff, so some of these questions may be redundant (ie asked already at this forum), and very simple...but here goes.

So for sound (AUDIO), going from my DVD player or CD player to a reciver, what is the best way to get the best quality and surround sound possible. Obviously the standard, red and white (left and right) or composite is not as good as multiple composite, but is digital better than multiple composite or are the 2 equal. I have also noticed while looking around that most recievers that have an optical audio imput always have an RCA input labled "Audio Output Digital - Coaxial" - do optical imput and this other imput get used together? If you did use a multicomposite cord for audio, which splits up the signal to each individual speaker, if you have a reciever that has only Front, R, C and L speakers, and 2 surround sounds R, L and a sub input, but you have a 6:1 speaker system, do you get true 6:1 surround sound if you use an optical input?

For video, are there optical capabilities for this yet? All I have seen are component imputs, the standard Green, BLue, Red cords. Is this the best way to go? Is S-video better?

Thanks for the info and help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio and Video Wiring
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio and Video Wiring
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which cables to use.
by slmosqueda / June 22, 2005 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio and Video Wiring

Hello,

For audio, Optical is always the best way to go. All signals are transmitted by light and have the lowest resistance than its digital coaxial counterpart. They cannot be assigned to the same source at the same time. The Optical cable (Toslink) is cable of trasmitting all the different sound formats. Your left/right composite audio cables are capable of only transmitting one channel of audio per connection.

In order to get 6.1 surround sound from a multi-composite input you would need to have 7 connections. 2 - front, 2- surround, 1 rear-surround, 1 center and 1 sub. Best to use a optical cable.

For video, in the following order from least quality to highest. Composite (Yellow), S-Video, Component (Red, Blue, Green), DVI (Digital Video Interface) and finally HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) which is capable of handeling all audio and video formats and bi-directional communication between the different components that are connected via the HDMI cable.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Thanks
by raildew / June 23, 2005 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Which cables to use.

Thanks for the info - it was very helpful.

For the video, and I guess audio too, side of things - is everything moving towards HDMI cables? Where everything is combined? Or do you think that there will ever be optical video cables??? For now though, my reciever is the limiting factor, but I know that Onkyos newest recievers all have the HDMI ports, but then their CD/DVD players have yet to make that leap yet. Thanks for your help and you have a nice webstie.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.