Laptops forum

Question

AUDIO AND VIDEO NOT WORKING IN BRAND-NEW DELL INSPIRON 5566

by PeculiarE / August 28, 2017 2:29 PM PDT

Hello All. I'm new to this forum, so my apologies if something like this has been treated already. I couldn't seem to find it, so I had to start a thread myself. I purchased a brand-new Dell Inspiron 5556 laptop quite recently. It comes with Windows 10 software already installed. During my first use, I noticed the audio wasn't working and the display neither dimmed nor brightened when I pressed the appropriate buttons. I searched online and the solution from most users was to upgrade the concerned drivers (audio and display). So, I went to Device Manager and upgraded.the display driver from Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (or something like that) to Intel HD Graphics (Windows said it was the latest update). DId the same for the audio, and everything seemed to work fine. But a few minutes later, bam! BSODs started. All sorts of errors (kernel check security failure, iqrl less or equal, dps watchdog bla bla bla). The point is these blue screens popped up repeatedly and my system had to restart everytime

I panicked and went online to check the source of these errors, and the consensus was that it was the upgraded drivers: they were either corrupt or outdated. I tried every fix suggested, and another blue screen error appeared. I tried rolling back the drivers and upgrading again. It was still the same story of BSODs. So I restored my system back to the original point where the audio and video weren't working.

I asked some IT guys, and they said rather than upgrade just two out of the dozen drivers on the system, I was supposed to perform a total WIndows update of every driver or thing needing an update. since the system is brand-new and lacks some key updates. They claimed that was why the system was having those blue screen crashes anytime i updated only the audio and video drivers

This actually makes sense, but I'm afraid. What if I do this complete update overhaul of the system and the BSODs get worse. Is their diagnosis actually correct? Or something else is the cause of these problems? Please, any advice, explanation or suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I'm sorry this post is this long. But I'm nervous about the situation and I really really need help. Thanks guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AUDIO AND VIDEO NOT WORKING IN BRAND-NEW DELL INSPIRON 5566
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AUDIO AND VIDEO NOT WORKING IN BRAND-NEW DELL INSPIRON 5566
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Warranty!
by Dafydd Forum moderator / August 28, 2017 2:50 PM PDT

I'd not mess about. I'd get it replaced.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
None of that actually.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2017 2:51 PM PDT

All our dells work when they arrive. I get the feeling there's more to this story such as this is new to you, refurb or other.

Even if I was to send you to Dell, I will still send you to Dell.com. Hit Dell.com, input your Service Tag to find your model's drivers and apps.

What is a Dell Service Tag? Read https://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+a+Dell+Service+Tag

Microsoft for drivers? No. Never except as a last resort. But the BUTTONS are not a driver issue but an APP issue. Here my Dell needs the Dell app called "Dell Quickset Application" for me to control things.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.