Computer Help forum

General discussion

Audio And Video not being detected

today i decided to reformat my computer. after i finished installing windows xp, i found out that i had nither a video or audio card according to my computer. i ran my system restore disk that came with the computer but it did nothing. how can i fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio And Video not being detected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio And Video not being detected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Audio And Video not being detected

In reply to: Audio And Video not being detected

Did you install the mobo drivers from the mobo cd?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Audio And Video not being detected

mobo?

Collapse -
Yes. Motherboard.

You may not be aware that Microsoft doesn't fetch or install drivers for you. You get to do that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Yes. Motherboard.

In reply to: Yes. Motherboard.

i guess the recovery disk i had mislead me, it said it will restore al the thigs the computer wwas shipped with. thanks anyway.

Collapse -

In reply to: Audio And Video not being detected

i am trying to install the driver for my soundblaster card, but it says that the card is not installed properly. how do i fix this?

Collapse -

Indeed the restore CD should bring the machine into the original state, with everything working. If it doesn't, it might be a hardware problem or a BIOS settings problem.
There should be no need to install the Soundblaster card drivers, unless that card was installed later, because it won't be supported by the original configuration, of course.

So it's not clear what you do and why you do it. Without knowing anything more, I can only advice to delete all the soundcard devices from Device Manager, and then let Windows detect the 'new' device when rebooting. That's generally a good way to install drivers, although it's still better to do it per the original installation instructions.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

Not all restore CDs are created equal. And almost none will install drivers for any items you add later.

If this was my machine, I'd install the motherboard drivers and try again.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.