Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Audible Books vs. Overdrive Media

Please let me know if there's another discussion on this topic. I'm trying to fiond an MP3 player that will read both audible and overdrive media formats. Looks like many players can handle one or the other, but are there any out there that can do both? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audible Books vs. Overdrive Media
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audible Books vs. Overdrive Media
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recorded Books

In reply to: Audible Books vs. Overdrive Media

I was looking for an MP3 player to use for recorded books. Very difficult to find much info because most reviews talk about using them for music. From what I understand I needed something that is able to download info in WMA format. Creative Labs's Zen Nano Plus was recommended. I purchased one and been using it for several months now. I have had up to 8 books on my Zen Nano plus at one time. I download from the public library website into the Overdrive Media software and then transfer to the Zen Nano plus. As long as I transfer the books to the Zen Nano Plus before the expiration of the library loan I can listen to it after the expiration date. The Zen Nano Plus was featured on Audible.com when I was doing my research six months ago.

Collapse -
Recorded books

In reply to: Recorded Books

Thanks, nlb-14! That's just what my wife is looking for. DO you have to convert the overdrive books from the library into WMA? O guess the better wuestion is "what do you have to do to be able to listen to Overdrive books (and audible as well) on the Zen? I'm assuming you have the 1GB.

Collapse -
Recorded books with Zen

In reply to: Recorded books

It's quite easy. I download the book(s) into Overdrive. Plug in the Zen to the computer. After downloading click on the "transfer/burn" button which opens Windows Media Player. Stop the play of the book. As I remember you have to upgrade the Windows Media Player Security first. Click on the "Sync" button on Media Player, then click on "edit sync list". Go to "fresh tracks yet to be played." All books you have transferred from Overdrive should appear. Uncheck items you don't want transferred to the Zen. Click on "Start Sync". Everything will be transferred to the Zen. To delete items from the Zen you go to the Creative organizer (software comes with the Zen). Unplug the Zen from the computer. You are ready to listen to the books. As long as all the parts of the book are downloaded in order they will transfer in order and then sync in order.

Collapse -
Ease of use of the Zen Nano Plus

In reply to: Recorded books with Zen

Hi nlb-14, and thanks for your replies! If I may impose a bit more and ask a few more questions, I'd appreciate your opinions and feedback. I have yet to see a Nano Plus in a store, but my impression is that they are quite small. Do you find that you can read the screen well enough to navigate through the books, tracks, etc.? Does it show you all the info that you need, and is it easy to use?
Also, have you ever gotten the accessories, like the portable speakers, or the FM Transmitter so you can listen in the car, or listen to the radio at the gym?
It seems pretty nifty, I just hesitate to get someting so small... I guess my old eyes are getting the best of me!
Again, thank you for responding to our questions!

Collapse -
Audible v Overdrive

In reply to: Audible Books vs. Overdrive Media

I procured a Sansa View for a person with low vision and no computer experience back in February. The main purpose was to download books from my library through Overdrive for free. The View also showed photos, had an FM tuner, voice recorder and played music. It was easy to download, it sounded terrific and we got hooked on it.

When Overdrive files are placed in the menu they go into the music file rather than into the dedicated "audiobooks" where audiobooks, which you pay for go. I find this strange, but manageable.

If you are planning on going the extensive free book route, please check directly with your library. They should be able to advise which players they know DO NOT work with Overdrive as it is too difficult for them to keep up with all the new portable players coming out.

Best of luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!