Samsung forum

General discussion

ATTN, Samsung techs: un55b6000 ghosting

by Bixby75 / December 3, 2009 6:22 AM PST

hello,
I just picked up the 55" 6000 series led last week and have been struggling with motion artifacts. I've played with all the AMP settings (from the preset one to the custom setting) and can't seem to eliminate the ghosting. Unfortunaltely its not just during fast moving images, an actor can simply turn their head at a moderate speed and this ghosting will occur. Keep in mind this isn't a blur but rather a choppy trail; at times its subtle and others it's not but it's poor quality to say the least.
I've dug around some forums and found that I'm not the only one experiencing this, and this isn't the only LED model that suffers from this image latency. The 7000 and 71000 in particular suffered from this and a firmware was released to help solve the image processing. After several calls to the service center I was able to confirm that this is an issue with the 6000 series but they couldn't offer info on wether a firmware will be released to solve it.
I'm really hoping that someone out there, an samsung tech rep in particular, that may be able to offer a fix, let me know if it can be fixed through the service menu by a technician, or if an firmware fix, like the one for the 7000 series, will be released for the 6000. I'm coming to a close on my return policy and need a plan quick.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATTN, Samsung techs: un55b6000 ghosting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATTN, Samsung techs: un55b6000 ghosting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
doing more research on this and...
by Bixby75 / December 3, 2009 7:12 AM PST

I'm reading about what is called the "triple puck effect" which happens to be related to 120hz. How it causes this I have no idea and there is no indication of this being related to a specific model, LED or otherwise, but seems to be related to samsung sets. Basically the image is being broken up during fast movements and then the image "reassembles" itself when the object on screen slows.
Please, if there is a Samsung tech on right now please give me some advice.

Collapse -
anybody?
by Bixby75 / December 3, 2009 9:29 AM PST

Anyone out there that can help?

Collapse -
doing more research on this and...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2009 1:22 PM PST

Bixby75,

I'm not aware of any "ghosting issues" on the LEDs, so if the service department says that they are, that's not something I'd be aware of.

Often times, HD images can "break up", much like the symptoms you described on some channels more than others due to a digital signal compression used to transmit the signal from the cable/sat provider. The more compression that is used, the more artifacts will appear on the screen, and are most prominent during fast motion.

If turning off AutoMotion Plus didn't solve the issue, then it's likely signal compression. There's no way to know - at least for consumers or manufacturers - how much compression is being used.

I won't advise either way on what you should do, but if you feel that this is a serious issue, you should probably talk with your retailer about this problem and see if they can address the situation with you, and maybe together decide on a solution.

If it was the TV, then it's likely that this issue would also appear with Blu-Ray or HD content. I don't know if you've tried a Blu-Ray disc to compare, and it's rare that this picture construction is even an issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks for responding and...
by Bixby75 / December 3, 2009 10:47 PM PST

I have also tried HD channels with the same resulting "ghosting" or "break up". I have also done a bunch of tests with upscaled DVDs and with Blu ray. The effect is less frequent with the Blu-ray disc, as well as with an upscaled DVD, but still present.
I do have to say that during scenes where an actor or object is still, and the camera isn't panning or tracking up or down, that this set has one of the best pics I've ever seen. I think that a lot of it is a combo of when there is action on the screen as well as movement of the camera. Having said that a simple turn of an actors head can produce the phenomenon as well.
I took a quick trip to Best Buy (where I purchased the set) to view more closely how other sets were performing. What I found was that most of the sets, LCD or LED LCD including their 6000 series that is on display, all have a little judder to them but for what ever reason its not as noticeable as what I find in home on my set. I though it could be my viewing distance at home (10-11') which would allow me to see more screen at a time thus more of the "break up" during motion. Yet, after viewing the displays at BB at a much shorter distance (4-5') the break up was still less noticeable; so that kinda killed my theory on viewing distance.
I've found a few other posts on this at cnet forums and avsforums. I'm just hoping that someone may have some setting tips or a suggestion on a new HDTV that has fewer problems.

Collapse -
120HZ Ghostling
by megayoyo / December 7, 2009 10:45 AM PST

Hi Bixbt 75 : Thanks god Im not alone, As Iv posted in another thread, I have exactly the same problem while watching BD Movies on my PS3... its really frustrating knowinh that there is no way to solve this flaw, that I believe is very anoying.
I cut and copied what Iv posted before:
" Iwas the happy owner of a 55 Lg fullHD LCD Tv (with NO 120/240HZ), but I was amazed by the 120HZ and the way movies looked with this Thechnology on other TVs (Im among those few that wanted to rewatch his entire BD collection with this technollogy and Love the soap opera efect ) that I decided to upgrade my TV set to a more sophisticated one, so I bought a Samsung Led TV Model UN55B60000 with 120HZ, and I had a bitterSweet experience with it. First off all I loved the picture clarity and Image, the contrast its greate, but when I decided to turn ON the AutoMotion Plus 120H, at first I was stonished by how smoth the movie it looked, but then I started to notice some anoing ghostly edges around some characters. after calibrated and reduced the settings ( blur and Judder reduction) or turning of the AutoM.,the fail disaperared sligthly. My frustration on this issue is that I bougth this tv set only cause the 120HZ motion efect,and even though the image is better than my previous LG TV, I regreat the upgrade. I have a very good relation with my retailer, so he said that he could change the TV or refound my money.. its up to me. My question is, does the Samsung Led TV series 8 with 240HZ is free of this anoing flaw???? cause I dont mind paying some more money extra if while watching my favorite movies with the Blur and judder reduction set both on 10.this ghostly noise around indiana jones disapears definetly..
and if not, wich LED or LCD Tv has the 120/240HZ technology flawless??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?