Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Attempts to blame Bush are failing...

by Edward ODaniel / September 4, 2005 4:23 AM PDT

as more and more people start thinking for themselves and disregard the media slant. The disregard of the slanted "news" seems to have begun as people were informed (not by the media I might add) that the Federal Government can only do so much and much of what it can do is dependent upon Governors speedy actions.

As you read the Washington Post article it is hard to miss the author's attempt to portray Bush and his admin's statements as regard local and state government problems as an attempt to shift the blame although even in his own article he mentions "Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680.html

Many Evacuated, but Thousands Still Waiting
White House Shifts Blame to State and Local Officials

By Manuel Roig-Franzia and Spencer Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, September 4, 2005; Page A01

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 3 -- Tens of thousands of people spent a fifth day awaiting evacuation from this ruined city, as Bush administration officials blamed state and local authorities for what leaders at all levels have called a failure of the country's emergency management.

President Bush authorized the dispatch of 7,200 active-duty ground troops to the area -- the first major commitment of regular ground forces in the crisis -- and the Pentagon announced that an additional 10,000 National Guard troops will be sent to Louisiana and Mississippi, raising the total Guard contingent to about 40,000.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Attempts to blame Bush are failing...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Attempts to blame Bush are failing...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rose colored classes from head buried in the sand, Ed.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 4, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

The New Hampshire (formerly Manchester) Union Leader wrote a scathing indictment of the Bush Administration Friday, as did a prominent Arizona Republican newspaper today. Here's an example of what average (non right-wing ideological) Americans are thinking on the matter these days: Americans right to ask: Where was President Bush's plan?
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

>> Throughout the four years since Sept. 11, 2001, President Bush has been telling us that his number one No. 1 priority is protecting the nation against a WMD terrorist attack and, if efforts to protect us fail, preparing to respond with full force.

Last week, a major American city, New Orleans, fell victim to the natural version of such an attack. The effects of Hurricane Katrina ? widespread physical destruction and contamination rendering an entire city virtually uninhabitable ? are virtually the same as the effects that might result from an attack by terrorists wielding weapons of mass destruction.

So, Mr. President, where is "the plan"? <<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
simple plan
by marinetbryant / September 4, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

Someone should have just stuck a finger in the levee like the little dutch boy. Of course, just because the mayor didn't implement his end of the plan let's blame Bush.

Collapse -
So the mayor is responsible for the failure to heed all thos
by Ziks511 / September 5, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: simple plan

federal studies over the last 40years predicting this and reccommending action?

So the Mayor cut funding by 40% to the New Orleans office of the Corps of Engineers?

Wake up and smell the sewage.

Rob

Collapse -
Yes...he was responsible
by TONI H / September 5, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

As I posted to you in another thread.......billions of dollars were allocated to rebuild/fortify those levees over the last 30 years and local/state representatives did NOTHING with the money. So it was cut nine weeks too soon......would THIS Mayor have used it to rebuild/fortify in time when nobody knew Katrina would be coming? NOOOOOOOOOOOO....the money was there PRIOR to nine weeks ago and went nowhere, even with THIS Mayor and Governor seated.

Smell your own rotting sewage when pointing fingers, Rob.....that finger is still pointing at the wrong person, as usual.

TONI

Collapse -
You should wake up and smell it Rob
by Evie / September 5, 2005 1:38 AM PDT

There would be no people trapped without resources had the Mayor and Governor had an evacuation plan in place. Combine that with the fact that they ahve had dry runs and still didn't stock the shelters with supplies and it is almost downright criminal how their incompetance has cost lives.

Psssst. Clinton cut funding before Bush did too.

N.O. has taken in a lot of $$$ from gambling and tourism. They COULD do something to protect themselves rather than suckling at the teat of the US taxpayer.

Collapse -
LOL! As usual
by Glenda / September 5, 2005 2:05 AM PDT

Put the blame on anyone but the Democrats in charge!!!
If you can't hold the Mayor of that City responsible how on earth do you jump to Bush being at fault??? Wait don't answer, you don't need a reason to Bush Bash! I almost forgot]:)

Collapse -
smell the sewage?
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2005 2:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sounds like alot of money and hard work went into the...
by caktus / September 5, 2005 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: smell the sewage?

"City of New Orleans Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan".

I wonder what happened.

Collapse -
Just a guess:
by Paul C / September 5, 2005 8:12 PM PDT

After writing a plan that was vague and not at all good, NO failed to exercise the plan under controlled conditions to ID the problem areas (and there were many).

We know that when NO tried to implement the plan when Hurricane Ivan threatened the city, there were numerous breakdowns. However, the mayor and his staff did nothing to correct the deficiencies - an act of gross negligence, IMO.

If you fail to plan....you plan to fail, which is exactly what NO did when its people needed help the most.

Collapse -
In it I see alot of references to...
by caktus / September 6, 2005 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a guess:

"self?assessments" regarding training and exercises.

Sounds like mabe it was designed to prevent anyone from keeping an eye on the hen house.

Collapse -
Yes Rob, the Mayor is responsible. It was his job to have
by Kiddpeat / September 5, 2005 2:37 AM PDT

an evacuation plan and resources in place. They were there. All he had to do was identify them, and use them. He didn't. As a result, many people died.

40 years of recommendations? Perhaps you would like to comment on why the Boston Big Dig was given priority over New Orleans? Does the name Teddy ring any bells? How long has Teddy been in the Senate? How about Tip O'Neil?

Are you smelling anything yet?

Collapse -
I see your point but...
by grimgraphix / September 5, 2005 2:44 PM PDT

what does Tip O'Neil have to do with anything ? He's been dead for 11 years.

grim

Collapse -
Things like the Big Dig take a long time to get planned and
by Kiddpeat / September 5, 2005 5:47 PM PDT

approved. I'm suspecting that O'Neil was around for some of that activity.

Collapse -
You need to wake up and smell yourself...
by John Robie / September 5, 2005 2:45 AM PDT

It was not and is not the President being the bottleneck for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The former retired General of the Engineers (1964) was on TV a day or so ago trying to explain the frustration of getting funds to upgrade the levies from a Cat 3. Did you read my post:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=123397&messageID=1400137&tag=

Also these:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=123472&messageID=1403207

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=123766&messageID=1403198

Collapse -
Bush shouldn't need a plan
by dirtyrich / September 4, 2005 2:30 PM PDT

This was a limited scope natural disaster... supposedly which the mayors and governer of LA should have already planned for and implemented. They spent more time worrying about moving their offices to a safe place than they did moving citizens to a safe place... and are now blaming the Feds for the inaction.
My grandparents live in Florida, and my grandfather is part of his town's emergency planning board. They have extensive (and practiced) plans for multiple situations associated with hurricanes, all of which can be executed at the local level and ensure that everyone evacuates safely.
Natural Disaster planning is something that should be done at the local level with ASSISTANCE from FEMA...

Collapse -
Ever hear the term...
by J. Vega / September 4, 2005 3:10 PM PDT

Ever hear the term "dancing on graves"? It's still a disgusting thing, even if it's a political dance.

Collapse -
Try as they may.................
by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 4:36 PM PDT

About the Plan.........
(From elsewhere WITH PERMISSION of the author)
It wouldn't have mattered if GWB himself had been out on Canal St. in a rowboat picking up people... some would have still have bitched and complained about it IMO.

I was >cough< bemused by the following commentary from this one woman standing outside the Astrodome in Houston Thursday night... complaining to Ted Koppel that, "Day give me tis here Ahmee food... dat I had ta eat cold... I tells ya... it was HOR-E-BULL!"

Perhaps this scenario would help... but I doubt if it would be good enough for some:

Maybe what we need is a United States Disaster Corps... on call 24/7, able to be on-scene in 24 hours or less... anywhere, anytime, baby!... probably at least 2-3 "divisions" in strength... equipped with hundreds if not thousands of tilt-rotor Greyhound busses... pre-positioned on amphibious ships waiting in secure, non-hurricane affected areas... with over-water speeds of 100 knots or more... carrying fully staffed hospitals, doctors & nurses livin' onboard as well... with Emeril Lagasse in charge of the food (which would be pre-loaded of course)!!!!!!! BAM!!!!!!

Did I mention the need to have thousands and thousands of pre-built housing projects in the middle of Tornado Alley for evacuation purposes... just in case a hurricane gets us first?

As for those of us in California... well... we're waiting for the Big One to hit here so we can ***** about the fact that our house wasn't built to withstand a 10... all the while blaming GWB for his failure to act in time to stop the earthquake.

Collapse -
Here's something I wonder about...
by EdH / September 4, 2005 9:05 PM PDT

in all those pictures of people wading through water after the hurricane, what do you see lots of? CARS! Cars in parking lots, in the street, parked here and there, some obviously moved to what would have higher ground. Who owns those cars?

I have been in and lived in poor neighborhoods. A lot of poor people do own cars. I think that the reason a lot of them were stranded wasn't that they didn't have any means to get out; it was because for whatever reason, they didn't want to. And don't tell me it was high gas prices.

Collapse -
I saw one picture of buses
by Dragon / September 4, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

A lot of school buses, just parked as they normally would be. Now theyll just be going to a scrap yard, unless they are cleaned up and illegally sold to some school, elsewhere.

Collapse -
That's the bad planning
by EdH / September 4, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

I'm not in any danger of flooding, but I do live fairly close to a nuclear power plant.

In the unlikely event of an accident there are evacuation plans in place for the communities in the area. There are centers you are supposed to go to and routes determined to get out depending on where you live. They are reviewed and updated every year and the power company sends out calendars every year with the instructions printed on them. They have also provided everyone with special alert radios (I have to confess mine is unplugged) and replacement batteries for it every year.

I know it's not the same thing as Katrina, but it indicates that they are thinking about what to do in an emergency.

Collapse -
I posted a link to one picture previously ...
by Evie / September 4, 2005 11:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
Disgusting and pathetic
by TONI H / September 4, 2005 11:22 PM PDT

and I truly hope that that picture is used by any opposition running against Nagin in the next election....whoever that person is would be a shoe-in.

TONI

Collapse -
City owned 580 plus buses......
by Mac McMullen / September 5, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

....available to move the sick and the poorest of the poor to higher ground, days before landfall, during the time the Mayor ordered an evacuation. Don't know where the drivers might have been, but drivers would not have been difficult to find, at least for the original outbound trip, unless of course we stood on ceremony and required they have a current CDL. And this is the same Mayor who, days later, on live TV/Radio was cursing and screaming because the Federal Government has not provided him with 500 buses, and demanded the that all Greyhound buses be mobilized.

Seems to me that watching the City and State Governments' failure to act responsibly in a timely fashion, and the follow-on failure to react any differently, is certainly a clear display of abject incompetence.

Collapse -
My brother e-mailed me with a point about the buses...
by EdH / September 5, 2005 4:25 AM PDT

they sure know how to use them on Election Day!

Collapse -
Hi Ed...I would point out...
by grimgraphix / September 5, 2005 3:13 PM PDT

That just because you see a lot of cars, it doesn't mean that they were all in working condition before the storm. I had a couple cars while in college that some times had to be pushed when the cops chalked my tires. I even missed it one time and got towed. The tow bill cost more than I paid for the car.

I also saw one man who discussed this same point while sitting on the curb in NOLA at the Superdome... he mentioned that he could have driven out but had no money for a hotel to put his family up in. Hind sight is 20/20 and he didn't say whether he regretted his decision. He did say his car was underwater by then.

grim

Collapse -
No money for a hotel
by Evie / September 5, 2005 10:41 PM PDT

Surely an able bodied man can be expected to have the resourcefulness to find shelter.

Collapse -
Those would seem to be exceptions rather than the rule...
by EdH / September 6, 2005 12:09 AM PDT

I can't believe a majority of thise cars were not running.

And the hotel room excuse is just lame.

Collapse -
Yes, hotel/motel excuse lame. In
by John Robie / September 6, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

San Antonio alone, which is 500 miles from N.O., we had 550 people from Lousiana & Mississippi in a shelter before the hurricane hit the coast. Whenever there is a hurricane near our Gulf Coast there are always shelters set up for evacuatees off the coast. Our Salvation Army and Red Cross also does not turn away people fleeing before a hurricane.

Collapse -
And even if they didn't know that...
by EdH / September 6, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

When a locomotive is bearing down on you jump out of the way! Don't worry that there may be poison ivy growing beside the track bed.

Collapse -
Yup. Some people LIVE in their cars
by Cindi Haynes / September 6, 2005 3:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.