Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Attachments open on Notepad

I have checked prior forums for this problem and I have yet to find a cure. When I open an e-mail attachment in OutLook Express, it opens using Note Pad. How can I change this back to the way it was originally? The grand kids have been using this HP with XP (sp 2) Model # is a450n This Note Pad thing is driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This problem has just started after this last week end. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Attachments open on Notepad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Attachments open on Notepad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: attachements open with Notepad.

In reply to: Attachments open on Notepad

First, save such an attachment to any folder you like. Than use Windows Explorer to find out what the extension is. That's the part of the filename behind the last . (like doc in letter.doc). You might have to set an option to show extensions (not hide them) for known file types in Config Panel>Folder options.
Then, in Config Panel>Folder options>Filetyps search that extension, and find out what program is used to open it by default.

Post back what you find, and probably someone will be able to help you.

Kees

Collapse -
Attachments open with Notepad

In reply to: Re: attachements open with Notepad.

I did as you asked. The file extension is an eml. As noted when I searched that extension, I found this.....Files with extension 'EML' are of type 'EML File' and it uses Notepad to open it. Where do these eml extensions come from? Right now I have two attachments with that extension on it.

Collapse -
Re: EML

In reply to: Attachments open with Notepad

EML is Outlook Express mail (e-mail). And it should open with Outlook Express. Simple to do: change the file association.

Find the file in Windows Explorer. Right click>Open with...>Choose program. Either choose Outlook Express from the list (if present) or browse to it (it's something like c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe) if not in the list. Don't forget to check the box with "Always use this program to open files of this type". Then OK and you're done.

If you can't follow my instructions for some reason (probably because they are faulty) do a google search for XP "FILE ASSOCIATIONS" and you'll find plenty of helpful guides to do it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
EML is the email itself.

In reply to: Attachments open with Notepad

Do you have an anti-virus program running in the background, and if so, does it check your incoming and outgoing emails?

EML is the email itself, and this may show up as an attachment if the anti-virus program is checking the incoming email, and appending a message on the end saying the email has been scanned. That makes the email software think there is an attachment.

Nothing to worry about if this is the case with you. Just read the email as always.

Mark

Collapse -
Attachments open with Notepad

In reply to: EML is the email itself.

Thanks Mark and Klees. I do believe I now have this figured out. And yes Mark, my anti-virus scans incoming and outgoing mail. And it is always on. Along with my anti spyware too. Again, thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.