Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Attach a Access Point or a Wireless Router to a Cable Modem?

I've got a new cable install with a Motorola 2201 cable modem (wired) hooked up and working at my daughter's new house. Now I want to create a wireless network. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point laying around and am wondering if I can use that, or if I have to buy a wireless router instead? I tried attaching the Access Point but it didn't work without a config, and I am going to try later today with the config disk and a USB cable and see if I can get it working (if you guys say I don't actually need a router).

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Attach a Access Point or a Wireless Router to a Cable Modem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Attach a Access Point or a Wireless Router to a Cable Modem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't tell.

In reply to: Attach a Access Point or a Wireless Router to a Cable Modem?

But since I can't find your cable modem I can't answer this yet. Give up a link to that model.
Bob

Collapse -
Here's the link

In reply to: Can't tell.

Collapse -
You wrote the 2201.

In reply to: Here's the link

I could have found the 2210...

On page 15 I see we can have a BRIDGE mode or not. Is the Internet light GREEN? If so you can use a WAP.

If the light is off then you use any old wifi router.
If the light is on then you can use any old wifi router but follow the directions in post #17 of this forum's sticky.
Bob

Collapse -
We have an access point, not a wireless router

In reply to: You wrote the 2201.

The light is indeed on, and we can connect a computer to it directly with an ethernet cable and it works, so I know the internet is working.

As for "using a wireless router as an access point." I don't have a wireless router, I have an access point only. I just need to know if they are designed to be plugged right into a cable modem like this, or if I instead need to purchase a wireless router.

Collapse -
I gave 3 solutions.

In reply to: We have an access point, not a wireless router

One of them was to use your WAP. Sorry if I was unclear.

Collapse -
One of my options?

In reply to: I gave 3 solutions.

Not sure what you mean "one of them was to use your WAP". Do you mean, one of my options is to use my WAP attached directly to the cable modem.

I do appreciate your help, by the way. Happy

Collapse -
Yes. Three ways to use this modem.

In reply to: One of my options?

"On page 15 I see we can have a BRIDGE mode or not. Is the Internet light GREEN? If so you can use a WAP."

You had the green light so why not move forward?

Collapse -
Green light

In reply to: Yes. Three ways to use this modem.

I knew I had the green light on for the internet; I just did not know if I could simply attach a WAP to it or if I needed a wireless router instead. Sounds like I will just attach the WAP.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry about that.

In reply to: Green light

I thought "If so you can use a WAP." was enough.

Collapse -
You're right.

In reply to: Sorry about that.

You're right! Sorry, I was out of coffee this morning. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.