Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Att : Dawillie

by cockerel / February 12, 2006 10:38 PM PST

Eventually managed to run a full on-line housecall, with out going on standby, found 14 items + cookies, most were labeled adw_se. numbers varied, removed all apart from 1 item, that was adw_se.1841, tried to find it but no luck there. Manually removed all the cookies.
Ran a second on-line scan from BitDefender, this came up clean.
A funny thing happened when i downloaded Spybot, while saving i noticed it was saving spybot FROM C:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll, at the top of the dialogue box it also said ' x% dnserror completed',
tried a second time for spybot and it downloaded from software files download.com, now i'm not too sure what to do with the first one! Any ideas?
Downloaded The Cleaner ran it and it came up clean.
No probs at the moment but that blue face is still in the left hand corner when windows is about to kick in.
Thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Att : Dawillie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Att : Dawillie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would
by dawillie / February 12, 2006 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Att : Dawillie

try and un install the first Spybot.

No idea what the blue face means but would like it if you could connect back to your original post as it makes it a little easier to walk you through the process.

The Cleaner says you are clean so that is good.

as for adw_se 1841 can you do a 'find' or 'search' to determine where it is located?

Post back please in your original thread so we can have a look at this phenomenon.

FYI I googled adw_se and it looks like some sort of virus or what some are calling greyware.

Here is the link

One of the suggestions is to d/l 'Hijack this' and post your log in one of the 'Hijack this' forums.

Here is the link to the Hijack this d/l

And here is one of the forums you can post your log in

Please post back with all results.

Collapse -
Jo's original post..
by Carol~ Moderator / February 13, 2006 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Att : Dawillie

I would like to help you out, but as you said yourself, I don't know where to start. I'm not even sure if it's a V&S issue and not a problem with your computer - or possibly both. (Maybe one of the Moderator's can make that decision.. when they have time! Wink )

For those able to help, I'll post the link and copy Jo's original post. (The only reply was David's, which was to download The Cleaner.)

Good luck, Jo..

Original post:

Body of request:

Hello to all
I think i have a big problem. I am running win 98se, win 200 dual boot AMD Athlon processor with 128 mb RAM.
Towards the end of the boot process, just as windows is about to kick in, when it tells you - To make a boot diskette ......- behind the T of to, appears an electric blue face and it appears to be smiling! It's only there for a fraction af asecon, swear if you blink you will miss it. Is this normal? I don't recall ever having seen this before.
My problems began about 3 weeks ago, just small things at the beginning, like freezing, keyboard locking, object windows exception would pop up now and again, not it seem to of become a much larger problem.
I have AVG Boot scanner ver1.2 it doesn't detect anything, i have kaspersky, it also detect nothing.
/When i attempt to use an on-line scanner my pc then decides to go into stand-by mode even though it is set up to NEVER go into stand-by mode, this isn't the first time it has gone into stand-by by the way! This has happened just after i have entered my password and before windows even loads, when i am running different programs, infact it can happen at any time...

It appears to of taken control of my samsung dvd-rom sd-612, which eject itself, starts track, stops tracks, loads again, ejects again all this with no cd in the drive, this goes on & on which in turn opens up my jukeboxbut not just once, When i press Alt + CTRL + DEL the jukebox has opened up around a dozen times, then mp PC tells me itslow on system resources! My keyboard gets taken over, when i type M i get Minimise, with R i get Run opening up and all the other keyboard shortcuts, i'm not even holdig the ctrl key and it's not stuck, i checked that!
I haven't a clue where to start with this any help would be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
thank you Carol
by dawillie / February 13, 2006 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Jo's original post..

on the same Webpage, so to speak.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?