Phones forum

General discussion

ATT/Cingular merger from an ATT(TDMA) Customer Support View

by itwasntme / February 17, 2005 9:09 PM PST

I work in Customer Support for ATT and beleive me I can empathize with what you are going through getting the run around. The whole mix up with the merger between ATT & Cingular sucks (and that's from an ATT standpoint) since the merger, it has been nothing but hell...
People call for customer support on their ATT Wireless account and end up talking to the support for Cingular (which is a joke) then they make a payment for their ATT acct with Cingular, thinking that due to the merger they are still paying their ATT acct...not so...the pain of it all is that Cingular will hold that money for 60 days before transfering the balance to ATT, meanwhile their acct goes into collections for pastdue balances...IT'S STUPID!!! and not only frustrating for the ATT Wireless customers but also for the ATT customer service reps that have to deal with it because we know what's going on and it doesn't help when the customers are already mad when they call in and we have to tell them that...Cingulars policies suck. I get customers that get the run around for a long time on the phone trying to find out about their acct and transfered from one dept to another then when they do get to where they need to be, they are livid by that time and understandably so.
The Cingular care that I receive as an ATT Customer Care Rep is attrocious, they are quick to transfer (and not always to the correct dept), unpolite. I have heard AAT Wireless customers tell me when they call in that they have been hung up on and told by Cingular reps that ATT doesn't exist anymore and that if they don't migrate to Cingular they won't be able to come over(funny, if ATT doesn't exist, then where are they migrating from), which is a crock of (well you know).
It's very confusing for the customers when they are told that due to the merger we are now one company which is not so, we are still acting as 2 seperate entities, each with their own customers, but corporate policies change day to day:( The ATT Wireless customer support is 24hrs were as Cingulars support is closed at 9pm which is a real pain when you have a Cingular customer call in after having to go through that awfull voice prompt just to get a simple thing done then have to tell them that "I'am sorry Cingular care is closed, you will have to call back tomorrow" and offer them the 1-800#. I hate doing that from a Customer Support viewpoint and I can just imagine what the customer is going through. Our scripting which we have to go through for customers is confusing too, we now say "Thank you for calling Cingular Wireless" which is dumb when we tell the customers who need to reach Cingular care after 9pm, because they reply "why do you say thanks for calling Cingular when you can't help me with my Cingular acct.?".
Please, if you are a Cingular and/or still ATT Wireless customer, there is nobody forcing you to migrate to Cingular, if you are still on a contract with ATT then you will be on that contract until you decide when to go...not when Cingular says you have to; Cingular reps will disagree, but beleive me when I say I've heard it comming from customers mouths. You have a choice and a right to be heard...make Cingular listen, write them.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATT/Cingular merger from an ATT(TDMA) Customer Support View
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATT/Cingular merger from an ATT(TDMA) Customer Support View
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ATT customers
by Jerry562 / February 17, 2005 9:43 PM PST

don't know where to pay their bills? They are paying them to Cingular instead of ATT? Don't they get bills with the name and address on a provided envelope? The sounds like a little sour grapes in this post.

My contract expired already and I'm doing the month to month thing. I have never had to contact tech support yet.

Collapse -
ATT customers beware of new 9pm start time Unlimited Nights
by lgiessinger / February 17, 2005 11:38 PM PST

Cingular admitted a "glitch" in their system on my past bills that included calls starting at 8pm; offered me at $50 credit. "That's all they could do".. Notes: 30 days notice required to cancel service. AT&T Wireless customers: Cingular nights & weekends start at 9pm and they will claim it has "always been that way" - you can prove otherwise if you review your past bills.

Collapse -
Let's talk facts about N&W
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 9:50 AM PST

If you had 8:00pm N&W and never changed your rate plan, you will keep your N&W as is. If you change your plan, you are subject to the features of the new plan. Cingular has not offered 8:00 N&W since 2002. Quit whining!!

Collapse -
Contract question
by dlflyboy / February 19, 2005 9:00 PM PST

I currently have an ATT 2 year contract. If I switch to Cingular (they state that I have 30 days to cancel) and am not happy I can cancel and they will not charge any activation fees. I have been with cingular in the past and canceled within the 15 day grace period they gave me. Then I switched to ATT. I HATE Cingular. Their customer service reps are AWLFUL they know nothing about customer service (or their products for that matter). Everytime I deal with one I get their name and location. I too work in customer service for a major airline and know how things work. They just want to put you on hold (without asking or telling you first) and transfer you around. I want to switch back to them and take them up on their offer to just cancel it after the first day I get the cingular phones/plan. Then I'm going to go back to T-mobile (I've never been mistreated with them in the 3 years I had them). My question is. Is it true I can switch to Cingular from ATT and later cancel it (say after the first day I get the new phones) and I will be out of the att and cingular contract? I was told over the phone by cingular that's is how it would work. I really liked ATT. But, want no part of cingular. And also if I kept my ATT what happens to my phone if it breaks down or gets lost or stolen. How could I get a replacement? I was also told by cingular that there are no more ATT phones. I would then have to make the switch. Thanks!!

Collapse -
Contract question
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 19, 2005 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Contract question

Yes, it is true if you change to Cingular and change your mind, there is no penalty within 30 days. However, if you keep your AT&T phone as is and it breaks, you won't be able to purchase a new one without switching your service to Cingular. It is just like the analog phones that Cingular used to sell, keep it as long as your equipment still works. Only other option is to purch a used phone from another AT&T customer. There will be no new phones sold under the AT&T wireless brand name.

Collapse -
What the?
by pj5399 / May 4, 2005 2:28 PM PDT

From a true (former I guess) ATT wireless customer. This is just insane from a customer service standpoint.
Two companies decide to merge. One of the most obvious benefits is a combinatiion of customer bases. Why would you want to alienate a single one of them.

As an ATT wireless customer I was able to visit their website and view new hardware and rate plans. Choose what I wanted and be on my way.

I have been receiving Cingular bills, Cingular emails touting the merger, routed to the Cingular website, and now told that I have to pay extra in order to upgrade hardware and plans to become a Cingular customer? You're kidding me!!!!

I'm sitting here ready to guarantee 2 more years, increased recurring income, from an existing customer and I can't get cooperation on making it happen.

NUTS!!!

Collapse -
Cingular Merger - Not good for ATT customers
by blackmanon / June 6, 2005 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: What the?

I'm in total agreement. If you want to sound off to the CEO (Stanley Sigman)go to "about us" on Cingular's website. Hidden in there are profiles of the top officers and email hyperlinks to send them messages. I fired one off today. (In fact my next message will be to my Senators and Congressmen and whoever else).

In summary my message to Sigman said the following:

I want a refund of migration fees for the following reasons. Cingular is charging all former ATT customers an $18 (per line) migration fee to switch to a Cingular plan. The migration fee is a poor way to foster customer loyalty. I think it is going to hurt Cingular as ATTWS subsribers choose to switch rather than be so blantantly taken advantage of.

There shouldn't be any activation/migration fee since it's all one company now. The internal cost of migration should have been factored into the benefit capture plan for the merger, not taken out of the pockets of ATT subscribers. Think about it $360 million ($18 times 20 million subscribers from ATT) in migration fees. Where does the FCC or FTC or the Justice Dept come down on this fleecing of the consumer with anti-competitive tactics.

Second there should be some special incentives for ATT customers who are forced to buy a new phone. ATT customers must buy a new phone even if they already have a GSM phone. Unlocked GSM phones should work fine on the Cingular network.

The final insult is that all of the old ATT customer services have been shut down. In effect, even if you keep your old phone/plan/network, you now can't really get any customer service unless you switch to a Cingular plan. This is an outrage!

What's your position?

Collapse -
REPLY CINGULAR MERGER
by HOPPY305 / June 6, 2005 9:20 AM PDT

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I JUST SENT E-MAIL TO THE PRESIDENT.

Collapse -
PLEASE CALL YOUR NEWSPAPER's business editor
by cingularripoff / June 6, 2005 1:58 PM PDT

If you read the number of varied problems we're all having, perhaps the press will start reviewing these forums as well as "complaints.com". This company's CEO needs to see what is going on with his company and their attitude toward ATT and their own customers. It's an outrage. Thanks for pointing out the "About Us", section. Hope to get a few lines out to him myself in the next couple of days.
You can reach me at "semperfi7x@aol.com", if you need to add a name to any class action complaint.

Collapse -
To ATT Rep

YOUR MESSAGE WAS GREAT! IF YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO GET YOUR EXECUTIVE OFFICE TO READ SOME OF THE EXCHANGES ON THIS AND "COMPLAINTS.COM", MAYBE SOME GOOD WILL COME OF IT. ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO CONTACT YOUR LOCAL PAPER'S BUSINESS EDITOR. RIPOFF COMPANIES LIKE cingular HATE TO HEAR FROM THE MEDIA.

Collapse -
Xfer
by Opopanax / August 15, 2005 5:32 PM PDT

If you get someone after hours, just xfer to BEUC. Victoria and Greensboro are 24 hours, and are usually willing to assist. (Vic is, anyways)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?