PC Hardware forum

General discussion

ATI Raedon 9550 HUGE PROBLEM

by miketrnt3 / May 5, 2005 11:25 AM PDT

256mb card brand new in box

When i install it Windows autmatically asks me what to do i say cancel and then start the disk (like the book tells to to)... After i do "easy install" and it installs drivers and everything directx and what not it aks to reboot. This is the funky part... After rebooting it shows the windows bar... about 26 times across =\ and then it goes to the black screen for about 6 seconds while you hear the hd kicking in, and then it shows the mouse with the busy icon next to it for about half a second, then it disappears and then nothing =( the screen just sits there and does nothing. Ok let me tell you how i have my BIOS set up, the agp is read first and then the aperture size was 128 cause i just had a 9200se but then i changed it to 256 for this new 9550. okay ALSO when i uninstall all the drivers and hydravision etc from the add/remove (HAVE TO BE IN SAFE MODE)it will work once more on regular mode, yet as soon as windows installs it's default OR i install any one of the two drivers on the retail disk, it screws the same again, and again. another weird thing i noticed is the driver says 9600 series yet when i do a manual install to the driver and UNCHECK compatible devises there are dirvers for the 9550 but when u CHECK compatible devices then it only shows "9600 Series" ONE MORE WEIRD THING.... ok my monitor is VGA and when it installs either default or through disk... it comes up that there is TWO display drivers... one is "9600 Series" and the other is "9600 Series-Secondary" that is how it show on my system hardware... i am not sure why my computer just goes black with any drivers installed.. but i have tried to play ut2004 with just default drivers and it tells me something about directx which i have 9c right now, or it says something about my drivers... =\ i am very confused. PLEASE HELP SUMONE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATI Raedon 9550 HUGE PROBLEM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATI Raedon 9550 HUGE PROBLEM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re only the two driver part.
by Ray Harinec / May 5, 2005 11:32 AM PDT

That is standard for the ATI drivers. Look in display properties and it will show two monitors. I am not going to try to explain anything else about ATI drivers. They confuse the H out of me. LOL

Collapse -
by miketrnt3 / May 5, 2005 11:36 AM PDT

there was only one tie when i actually had all those advanced options and that was the first time i installed it... then when i actually went to one of those top tabs it just froze my stuff up and then it didn't work since then i hve no clue =\

Collapse -
Forget the driver disk
by Steven Haninger / May 5, 2005 12:13 PM PDT

Go to the ATI site and download the basic, no frills package first. Uninstall everything you have put on so far and run the basic driver file. Now, the two monitors means your card has two video ports. I am guessing one VGA and one DVI so this is ok. You did not mention if your board was ATI built or from another manufacturer (such as Sapphire) that uses their chipset. I can't speak for this card but had a similar experience where the a card was finiky about who supplied the drivers. In short, don't add all the features and controls until you get a basic driver working.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!