General discussion

ATI driver 10.3 won't install on Windows 7 64-bit

Hello,

I just purchased an ATI 5570 to install on my machine with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I went to ATI's site to download the 10.3 driver with CCC. I started the install process and right after I choose the option to "Install," windows chimes saying that the program was not installed correctly. I try again using the recommended settings according to Windows. I get back to the point where I can choose to "Install" or "UnInstall." I of course choose "Install." It appears that something is about to load for a few seconds then nothing. I have done a bit of research on the issue and one of the common fixes seems to be that the Visual C++ redistributable needs to be downloaded and installed. I went ahead and did that with both the 2005 and 2008 versions with no success.

Is there anything else that needs to be done? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: ATI driver 10.3 won't install on Windows 7 64-bit
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ATI driver 10.3 won't install on Windows 7 64-bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I found the fix, but I'm puzzled...

I found the fix. It turns out you need a hotfix version of the Visual C++ 2205 redistributable. Here is a link to it. http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894

I noticed that there was an issue that appeared in the Action Center on the lower right side of the screen. My question is why does this error occur in the first place? I'm surprised that this version of the redistributable isn't included in the installation package of ATI's display driver.

- Collapse -
I agree.

It would be nice if such things would just work. But then again this is Windows and the driver hunts and troubles are legendary.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info