General discussion

ATI and Realtek HD

I use two Ati Radeon 5770 graphic cards MSI and XFX(crosfire, I use the MSI HDMI port, when I use the XFX there is no signal on the monitor. Sometimes the Ati is the default sound device and sometimes the Realtek HD is the default sound device. In fact I do not use Realtek HD, I use ATI with HDMI.When the Realtek HD was the default sound device I checked the sound devices and I found that the Ati Sound device is not connected but it is always connected. To solve the problem is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it again or restart the computer. So how can I use only the Ati as the default sound device without uninstall or disable the Realtek HD built in on Asus Rampage III extreme.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ATI and Realtek HD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ATI and Realtek HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Go to

Control Panel Sound and select the default among devices listed. Alternatively if you are not going to use the analog out or front panel ports or mics, disable audio in mobo BIOS and there will be no confusion for Windows.

- Collapse -
More details

Playback Devices in the control Panel Sound are only active Realtek Digital Output with a green tick mark and the others are dim:

ATI HDMI Output
2-ATI High Definition Audio Device
Not Plugged in (with red downward arrow mark)

ATI HDMI Output
ATI High Definition Audio Device
Not Plugged in (with red downward arrow mark)

Speakers
Realtek High Definition Audio
Not Plugged in

The active playback device is only the Realtek Digital Output: Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device.

So I am not able to select the listed playback devices to make it default.

I also checked the BIOS and the setup is:

Onboard Device-- Standard
High Definition Audio -- Enabled
Front Panel Type Audio -- HD Audio
SPDIF out Mode Setting -- SPDIF (I changed to HDMI)

What I did in the past was I changed the graphic card PCIE Port such as the first time I used was the MSI Graphic Card in the PCIEX16_1 port and XFX was in PCIEX16_2 port then I changed it MSI was in the PCIE16_2 and the XFX was in the PCIEX16_1. After I have problem of Playback sound device then I've changed like before.

When I tried to open the playback devices is also always slow.

- Collapse -
What OS

are you using and have you installed the proper ATI HD Audio driver? For XP you have to download a separate audio, for W7 it's included in CCC pkg. Go to amd.com and look around.

- Collapse -
OS

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I installed the latest version of the ATI Drivers ATI Catalyst Control Center Version 2010.0825.2146.37182.

CNET Forums

Forum Info