General discussion

Athlon Overheating

Hey i'm in Jamaica.

I don't Have air conditioning and my athlon 2200+ is overheating. If it wasn't for the motherboard protection the chip would be fried. I basically compute with the risk of the machine shutting down at any moment because of the processor reaching critical temperatures. What can i do. and is 65 degrees celsius a good average operating temperature.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Athlon Overheating
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Athlon Overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Here's what I've done...

65C isn't good but within what the cpu can handle, but 45-55C is more within tolerances. To increase cooling, simply open(leave open) the case and check all those fans. Inspect the current cpu heatsink fan setup(HSF). You can replace the OEM or factory HSF with a copper core if not already. Plus, install or replace entire HSF with copper core and larger fan setup. Get, what seems to fit and work for you, spend a few $$$, and certainly check the rest of the fans. Plus, make sure all dust is removed for best operation. The quickest and surest short term cure is to use a household fan place at open case and blow-in. I use a simple 6in. desktop fan and that works well and quiet. No central A/C here but my temp is 52C in summer, around 48C in winter. lower if window open. Arrange any wire harness.cabling is routed to allow best "air circulation" of what you do have, plus if possible add a 2nd case fan, possibly in an open spot for that. Of cosue if you can decrease the room temp, that's a plus.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
overheat

Although K7 chips can operate as high as 90C, even 65C can still cause overheating to your parts. First, make sure that the heatsink is secured. If it's not, re-secure it, but remember to replace the pad or paste with a new one. Also, if it is a stock fan, I recommend replacing it.

- Collapse -
Athlon Overheating

In addition to what Willy suggested. With the side of the case off get a small AC desk fan 6~8" and have it blowing directly in the open side of the caes. John

- Collapse -
Athlon Overheating

P.S. In your case water cooling might be worth it. John

CNET Forums