HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

athlon 64 processor good for what?

by Howlleo / October 10, 2005 4:25 AM PDT

2 years ago (almost) I purchased a computer with an Athlon 64 2800 processor, based on the theory that if I buy a processor more powerful than I need now, it will be approximately what i need in around 4 years, and save me the trouble of replacing.

I recently decided to find out exactly how fast this processor actually is, but for some reason the Athlon 64 seems to have dropped off the market, and no CPU clocking sites acknowledge its existence.

Can anyone answer me, what happened to the Athlon 64, and how many hertz my processor is running at?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: athlon 64 processor good for what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: athlon 64 processor good for what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me, the video tools that use 64-bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 4:37 AM PDT

Also, SUSE 10.0 should be here tomorrow and I'll put that in it's 64-bit form.

So far, my 64-bit machines seem nice, stable, fast and running very nicely. I don't have any complaints today.

Bob

Collapse -
things come in 64 bit versions now?
by Howlleo / October 10, 2005 4:42 AM PDT

things come in 64 bit versions?

dont you need a 64 bit bus and 64 bit everything else in there to really take advantage of it?

How can I know the hertz my cpu is running at?

How can I find out the bus speed, while I'm at it?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) CPU-Z??? Google and download
by damasta55r / October 10, 2005 4:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes. 64 lane highway.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 4:58 AM PDT

For example Virtual Dub has a 64-bit mode. Really something to use. As to the bus, if you have an AMD 64, you have the right bus and "bus ticket".

I'll write again tomorrow if Suse 10.0 64-bit arrives and I get it installed.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
so the motherboard has nothing to do with the bus?
by Howlleo / October 10, 2005 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes. 64 lane highway.

my processor is 64 bit, therefore my bus is 64 bit.

correct?

OK. anything else need to be 64-bit to reduce bottlenecking?

how can I find out if a program has 64 bit mode?

Most boringly ordinary programs, like microsoft office, dont come in 64 bit - only the photo processing ones, right?

what does the 2800 after Athlon 64 mean?

Collapse -
RE:
by nerdyboy1234 / October 10, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

64-bit bus? I do believe its higher than that. All you need to run 64-bit is a 64-bit capable processor and a 64-bit os. The motherboard is needed because every type of processor has a motherboard requirement, they aren't interchangeable or compatible with each other. You can't put a Pentium 4 processor into an athlon 64 motherboard. Though the os, for some programs is an exception. Unlikely that there are many programs with a 64-bit mode. Photo processing? I don't think so. The 2800 is the model number. i.e Amd 64 3000+, etc..

Collapse -
Don't confuse "BUS" with number of bits a CPU can fling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

Many years ago I was on a design team with the project using a 32-bit CPU but the bus was all of 8-bits. At first that sounds confusing but it all makes sense as you learn what is what and where things connect.

As to Office in 64-bit, there is little reason for that. However OPEN OFFICE may appear there first if for no other reason that "it can be done."

Bob

Collapse -
64 bit vs 32 bit
by dwarth / October 22, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

The number of bits refers to how much data can be flowing at the same time. On a 64 bit processor, twice as much data can be flowing than on a 32 bit processor. It really doesn't have anything to do with clock speed of the CPU. FYI, there are other 64 nit processors out their. AMD has several flavors of 64 bit and then there are the Intel Xeons. However, you will typically find these on servers that are running CPU intenseive processes (database transaction systems, Citrix, etc.), not home PCs

I suppose you might say that a 64 bit processor that was 1 Ghz could be as fast as a 32 bit processor at 2 Ghz, but I think more goes in to it in that. I am not an engineer, or electronics expert.

Bits are also used to described how much data can flow to your other devices (sound card, video card, etc.) For an example, the old ISA buses were 8 bit.

You also have to consider software. And this is really what you need to think about to get the most out of your processor. Right now, there is not a lot of 64 bit software; that is software that takes advantage of the bigger CPU. There is a 64 bit version of XP (I am not sure if it is in beta still, or not). I know there is a 64 bit version of Linux ... I run Fedora Core 3 with MySQL ... all 64 bit on a 64 bit AMD processor and it is much faster than my Windows box running MySQL (I am a programmer).

I hope this helps!!!

Collapse -
Athlon64 is alive and well!!!
by jcrobso / October 11, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

''but for some reason the Athlon 64 seems to have dropped off the market, and no CPU clocking sites''
Where have you looked????????? Try overclockers.com
AMD has MANY 64 bit models!!! And many 64 bit dual core processors.
Check here for info. John
http://planetamd64.com/

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) not the 2800
by Howlleo / October 12, 2005 2:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
not the 2800
by jcrobso / October 17, 2005 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) not the 2800

OK, AMD did drop that model from the line, but it will still do everything a 3000+ will do, just a little slower. John

Collapse -
Athlon 64 2800+
by stonehkm / October 17, 2005 7:29 PM PDT

I didn't see anyone answer your question about clock speed. The nominal clock speed of the Athlon 64 2800+ is 1.8Meg. It uses a socket 754 motherboard. The trend now is toward socket 939 and AMD starts with the Athlon 64 3000+, which is also 1.8Meg but runs at a higher FSB. The Athlon 64 2800+ (socket 754) is no longer made, but us a good CPU and will support Windows Vista 64 bit when it becomes available next year.

Collapse -
*groan*
by Howlleo / October 22, 2005 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Athlon 64 2800+

So you mean I wont just be able to upgrade my processor one day- assuming the whole machine doesnt need an upgrade?

1.8 mghz doesnt sound too fast, when a pentium 4 runs at 3.8 mghz

Collapse -
1.8GHz Athlon 64 does more work per clock cycle
by wicker_man / October 28, 2005 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: *groan*

It's 1.8GHz actual clock speed, but AMD Athlons do more work per clock cycle than Pentium 4.

So the 2800 running at 1.8GHz would be similar to a 2.8GHz Pentium 4.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.