Desktops forum

General discussion

Athlon 64 4000+ vs. Athlon 64 X2 4200+

by engelasche / April 6, 2006 8:49 PM PDT

i was wondering which processor is better. the 64 4000+ or the X2 4200+, if the 4000+ is better then would it be better to get the 64 3800+? The 4000+ is only a bit cheaper that the 4200+.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Athlon 64 4000+ vs. Athlon 64 X2 4200+
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Athlon 64 4000+ vs. Athlon 64 X2 4200+
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
better...
by jackintucson / April 7, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

The X2 4200 is certainly better than a non-X2 4000.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) .Better for what ???
by VAPCMD / April 7, 2006 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
go w/ the x2 3800
by blazerdude20 / April 7, 2006 5:20 PM PDT

you want to try and get dual core if u can but the x2 4200+ runs very hot i have it in my computer and it works great but it has some major heating issues...

this is actually my second 4200+ the first fried from overheating.

Collapse -
Runs very hot?
by tneelon / April 8, 2006 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: go w/ the x2 3800

Do you have a PC manufactured by Gateway, HP or someother company or have you designed your own system. I was wondering how these systems were working and if there were any problems. I'm thinking about purchasing an X2 or Pentium D based system.

I'm also wondering about Sony, HP etc. After using my Sony Notebook w/PII for over six years with out a problem and My P4 1.5 Sony Desktop for the last 5 years. I purchased a Compaq Notebook w a 64bit AMD I have nothing against AMD but am not happy with the noteboods quality, ie: the transformer power cord falls out of the back of the computer. I've also had to replace the transformer after one year. My Sony notebook never had one problem. Send me any feedback you can.

Collapse -
I don't like any prebuilt computers...
by nathanpsz2 / April 8, 2006 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Runs very hot?

...especially HP. I've had tons of problems with it overheating and shutting down.

I put it in a new, bigger case with better airflow, and it still shut down randomly.

I gave it to another nerd that I know, and he tried another P4 in it, and had to shut it down because the CPU reached like 200 degrees Farenheit. He put my chip (P4 540; 3.2GHz) on his motherboard, and it shut down on him as he was reinstalling Windows.

The comptuer was an overstock, so there's no warranty.

So far, I've paid $76 for the case and $60 to the nerd. I'll probably have to spend about $300 to replace the CPU and motherboard, and another $50 to replace the crappy no-name-brand power supply (if a power supply fails, the system goes; bad).

Lesson learned: **** happens, and sometimes you're the one paying for it. Also, I'm never buying another comptuer; from now on, I'm building my own.

Collapse -
hp media center
by blazerdude20 / April 8, 2006 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Runs very hot?

i got the temp to go down by replacing the 92 fan in the back with two highpowered 80's

Collapse -
That's irrelevant...
by nathanpsz2 / April 11, 2006 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: hp media center

...because I've put it in a new case with an 80mm front fan, and a 120mm rear fan.

Collapse -
huh
by blazerdude20 / April 11, 2006 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: That's irrelevant...

i wasnt replying to your post nathan. i was replying to the one u replyed too. look at the thread.

Collapse -
Will the X2 4200+ be cool enough
by engelasche / April 8, 2006 11:58 AM PDT

i am going to get the Antec P180 as my case and to cool the CPU a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or mini Typhoon. Will the Big Typhoon or Mini Typhoon cool the X2 4200+ enough?

Collapse -
big typhoon, yes; mini typhoon probably
by ramarc / April 9, 2006 2:38 AM PDT

the mini typhoon is getting somewhat so-so reviews (only a bit better cooling than the amd stock hs/fan). if you want a quieter system, it'll do that; but if you want a quieter and cooler system, look elsewhere. have you consider arctic cooling's freezer 64 pro?

Collapse -
better for what?multimedia?Gaming be more specific plz
by koolman51 / April 10, 2006 5:03 AM PDT

well i would suggest that if its for gaming get the 4000+ well get the x2 4200+ for mutimedia etc.but u must get a least water cooling if u get the x2 4200+.

Collapse -
water cooling vs. Fans
by engelasche / April 11, 2006 5:01 PM PDT

I don't think that there is a need for water cooling if a fan can do the job. It's a waste of money and personally it takes up to much room in the Pc case, and wateer cooling is to fiddly.

Collapse -
Exactly.
by WhyFi / April 11, 2006 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: water cooling vs. Fans

Especially with an AMD X2! AMD features their 'cool 'n' quiet' technology which does indeed keep things cool and quiet. Unless you're going to lock the multiplier and overclock, etc, there shouldn't be any problems with overheating on the stock HSF, unless you've got some other issues going on. (Incidentally, I hear that the new HSFs that AMD is sending out with their CPUs are pretty decent and that spending 50 bucks to replace it with an aftermarket HSF is a waste of 50 bucks.)

One of my PCs is an HP with a 4200 X2, an ATI graphics card, a 400W PSU and a little more memory- everything else is stock. I've had no problems with the system, even with moderate ('very high' settings, not the highest settings) gaming.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.