Desktops forum

General discussion

Athlon 64, 256mb video, 2 gigs, good setup?

by biglonstud / July 6, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

I am thinking about building a computer, and I thought I would ask what you think about the following setup.(are all the parts compatible? Any parts I should get that would be more worthwhile? ect)

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DW-D26A BLK - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JD 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Logitech Elite 967234-0403 Black USB + PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX2048-3200PRO - Retail

Logitech MX510 931162-0403 Blue 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM

Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Price for above items: Some where near $1350

I cant decide which Athlon 64 (939 pin) chip I should get. Any recommendations?

I also cant decide which LCD Moniter would be good. Any you would recommend?

Also, I would like it if the total cost of the computer stayed under $2000.

And, do you think the Powersupply(420W) could support the above items.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Athlon 64, 256mb video, 2 gigs, good setup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Athlon 64, 256mb video, 2 gigs, good setup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 6, 2005 2:58 AM PDT

Corsair 1GB should be sufficient 3200C2PT (2x512)-116
creative soulnd blaster audigy zs gamer editiom
Mitsumi USB2.0 Digital Card Reader/Writer W/FD INTERNAL, Model FA404A/404M-20
3x Antec LED80XFAN 80mm Blue LED Light Cooling Fan-24
LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL 30CM COLD CATHODE Light-5
athlon 64 3000+-146 Socket 939 Venice Core
Maybe you might want to get a better mobo top-of the line abit one costs $205
Samsung or SOny monitor that has lower than 14ms refresh rate.
PSU, if you're not going sli, than should be enough.
Roger

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)all compatable, nice setup, go with an amd 3800+
by AKonny47 / July 6, 2005 3:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Extra Info
by biglonstud / July 6, 2005 5:19 AM PDT

The reason I want SLI is so that later I can buy a 2nd 256mb video card(when the upgrade would be pratical). I thought getting 2x 1 gig rams sticks would be good because then, if I ever wanted to upgrade to 4 gigs, I could just buy 2 more, instead of having to replace any ram, and having to buy 4x 1 gig ram sticks.

Do you think that 420W will be enough to run all the stuff?

Oh, I should buy some more fans and stuff, shouldnt I?

Do you recommend getting the San Diego or the Veince chip?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)go higher in the psu, get 2GB, and get venice
by AKonny47 / July 6, 2005 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Extra Info
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no need 2gb...one gb is enough but psu upgrade would be good
by nerdyboy1234 / July 6, 2005 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have Athlon64...
by jackintucson / July 7, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

but software has yet to catch up with 64-bit processing. Unless you are configuring for the future (2-3 yrs), you aren't going to see much of an increase in speed. Microsoft has announced XP64 and if you have XP you can download the 64 free. All your drivers have to be rewritten for 64 bit. Until all this happens, everything will run as 32-bit.

BTW..I just traded my 64 for a P4C800-E (ASUS) w/3.4ghz. 800fsb, 3gb, x800pro (ATI), SATA/RAID, and it screams.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
LCD Monitor
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 5:17 AM PDT

I just bought a Planar. They have a 3 year 2 day replacement policy.

Collapse -
Sounds good...
by ihop4no1 / July 7, 2005 2:53 PM PDT

I bought a new machine in April and have since upgraded with 3 of the items you've upgraded with.

1. Logitech MX510 931162-0403 Blue 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail

2. CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM

3. Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

I really like all the products, but here's a few tips;

1. On the Logitech mouse, set a RESTORE POINT before installing it. It mucked with my keyboard driver and I ended up uninstalling it and then reinstalling the drivers ONLY. (Logitech has gotten into the bad habit of including advertisements and self-promotions in their software). ONLY INSTALL WHAT YOU NEED.

2. The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 OEM - compare prices at (A) newegg (B) ChiefValue and (C) UpgradeSource. They're all 3 always running specials. I ended up buying from UpgradeSource for $45 with free FedEx. Creative also has some funky extra stuff. Also, set a restore point prior to installation. Also, remove ALL remnants of ANY previously installed sound card, including disabling onboard sound from the BIOS. Once done, the Creative Sounds Sweet and their ''Creative MediaSource'' player sounds far superior to Windows Media Player 10

3. The Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speakers sound GREAT out of the box! The extra thick cable on the right front speaker is a little awkward as far as limiting where you can place the speaker. The cord is SO thick that it topples the speaker. I had to wrap mine around a desk support to hold it in place. Also, the rear speaker conections are short - 8 feet I think. Plan on getting some RCA extensions if you have a large room.

I picked up a 17'' LCD from SVA (Korean company) and it works fine. The refresh rate is only 75 Hz though. Just shop around and by the way, the 420W power supply should be sufficient.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it all comes together!

Collapse -
my only concern
by scottinindy / July 7, 2005 3:54 PM PDT

I think the power supply is suspect. I guess it would do for now, However with you wanting to go Sli in the future a better Psu would be high on my priority list, No sense in spending over a grand on a system and chance having a lower quality PSU take out some components. Frankly Aspire is not noted for making quality Psu's.

Collapse -
A Larger Power Supply is a MUST...
by jackintucson / July 8, 2005 4:35 AM PDT

With today's power chips, power graphics cards, power USB2.0 ports, SATA, etc..etc.. , power supplies no less than 500w should be used. The Athlon64 alone will use over 100w. You can buy now or double buy later. Up to you.

and life goes on...

Jack

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?