Storage forum

General discussion

by dontjee / March 10, 2007 7:31 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATA to SATA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATA to SATA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That will work
by linkit / March 10, 2007 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: ATA to SATA
Collapse -
another question
by dontjee / March 10, 2007 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: That will work

I like the idea of the controller card better. Will those work with windows vista? Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, if the card maker provides a Vista compatible driver
by linkit / March 10, 2007 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: another question
Collapse -
ata to sata
by toap / March 16, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

HI check your motherboard it should have 2 ide connetors one for two hard drives and one for two dvd or cd drives i don`t know of any dvd drives that use sata, plug your ata drive to the primary slot hope this helps; check your motherboard manual if you got one or take a look at the motherboard web site regards Toap

Collapse -
new developments
by linkit / March 16, 2007 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: ata to sata

Many new motherboards have only one IDE connector and some have none. Also, there are lots of new SATA optical drives.

Collapse -
The adapter is the answer
by jcg20 / March 16, 2007 5:36 PM PDT

I recently was faced with this same problem. After 4 years with my old computer it was time for a change. I bought all the parts and splurged on an EVGA 680i motherboard. While I had 3 SATA drives to put in it, I also wanted to use my old Ultra ATA drive. The problem was I had 2 DVD burners that were IDE which consumed the single built in IDE controller on the motherboard. I decided to see if my old friend Adaptec had a controller card that would allow me to plug in my old hard drive. They did for about $50, so I bought it.

I plugged it in and while it worked ok, it caused a resource issue with other components in the system. It would hang on boot up and I never really did get it to work right with the 680i board. So, while there are others here who have suggested you get a controller card, I believe you will be dissatisfied with that option as I and many others have not gotten that to work well in systems with a built in IDE controller.

The alternative, I found, that works exceptionally well is a mini SATA to Ultra ATA-133 converter board. The one I bought says it is made by Extremely - yes that's the name on the box. I literally plugged it in, fired up the computer, checked the BIOS and away I went. It worked GREAT. I can't tell you how pleased I was to find a solution that was this cheap (under $25 with shipping) and this easy to install. You do have to be a little careful with the adapter. It plugs into the IDE connector on the hard drive and has a power adapter to power the drive from the existing wiring harness.

I have tried them both - the adapter is definitely the way to go. If you want to try the other way I have an Adapter PCI 4 drive controller board for sale cheap Wink

Collapse -
A less expensive solution to this problem....
by pezmastergeneral / March 16, 2007 7:35 PM PDT

You could have just used your 2 DVD drives in a master/slave configuration with a $3 dual ATA cable on a single IDE Port, and have the other one free for your old hard drive.

Collapse -
Right, I did that
by jcg20 / March 17, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

The board only has 1 IDE connector on it. The two DVD drives are connected though a single cable to that single connector. Hence, no place to plug in a third device.

Collapse -
Problems with IDE to Sata Adapter
by Kristian7734 / June 1, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

I recently bought a new machine with 6 SATA connections on the motherboard. The system came with 1 320gb sata drive that works fine. But I wanted to add 4 other older ide drives 2x300GB and 2x750GB. I bought the 4 adapter mini-cards, plugged them in, plugged in the seperate floppy disk sized power cables, & sata cables. The lights on the cards light up, but the system does not see a single drive. The bios only shows the original sata drive, none of my other 'converted' drives. Any ideas why? BTW, doing all this with Vista Ultimate 64bit version, though since the hardware bios sees nothing, neither does Windows Vista...

Collapse -
I've seen issues from...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2007 9:24 PM PDT

Missing drivers to disabled SATA ports to outright cable errors (no power, bad SATA cable) and the wrong jumper on the hard disks. There are so many details that it keeps the tech busy correcting all the details.

Collapse -
What should the jumpers look like?
by Kristian7734 / June 2, 2007 9:51 AM PDT

The cables are brand new. I checked the bios and each of the ports is set to automatically detect the HD. I have a 1000w power supply, though it has to go through several splitter adapters before it gets to the drives (both floppy power for the mini-card, and full power for the drives). But I have no idea what the jumpers are currently set to, my guess is they were left as they were in the original IDE settings. Anything new SATA requires?

Collapse -
no idea what the jumpers are currently set to, my guess is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2007 9:56 AM PDT

"no idea what the jumpers are currently set to, my guess is they were left as they were in the original IDE settings. Anything new SATA requires?"

Sorry I can't guess as I didn't buy your adapters. They should tell you what to set the IDE drives to. I think this being an unknown is a fine clue to the issue.

Collapse -
no way
by pezmastergeneral / March 16, 2007 7:37 PM PDT

Your motherboard has IDE connectors. C'mon now...

Collapse -
use a PCI card to connect drives/opticals
by Mr Mink / March 17, 2007 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: no way

I had a similar problem with the computer I build myself about three months ago. Brand new up to the minute ASUS P5E board and I was aware of the single IDE socket on the board (I think DFI has about the only main board round which has two IDE sockets on it). It is quite unbelievable that the new Intel chip sets apparently do not support IDE at all and in fact the IDE sockets are supported by third-party vendors! Okay so there are six SATA ports on the board -- and E-SATA out the back as well, but this is one case where the computer industry (or some sector of it anyway) has got well ahead of themselves and the buying public -- doing away with IDE almost and pretending that SATA is the substitute. Yes there are plenty of SATA hard drives out there -- I bought a new 250Gb drive myself, but I still had 2 quite large IDE drives (160Gb and 200Gb)to connect and of course I had 2 optical devices, a DVD burner and a CD burner to somehow connect (don't get me started on how SATA optical devices are only now just starting to appear with the Pioneer 212 etc and apparently by the end of 2007 they will be dominant). I thought I would be able to use the old Promise ATA 100 PCI card I have had for some years to connect the drives-- but it would simply not connect. I wanted to keep the optical devices on the motherboard otherwise you cannot boot from CD/DVD - don't forget about that.

so I went to a computer meet and bought a PCI IDE card ATA 133 (it also supposedly does RAID as well with a Silicon Image controller). It glories in the well-known brand of Connectland and it cost me all of $25 (that's in Australia too) and it was gloriously simple and just plug and play - isn't that how connection of computer peripherals are supposed to be?! No drivers to install, it was just simply recognised under XP and the 2 IDE drives connected to it (on one cable) appeared instantly without difficulty. As it has 2 IDE slots you can therefore connect up to 4 devices, 2 on each port. I must admit I haven't tried the optical devices on it (as I say they are on the motherboard for potential boot up purposes) but from what I have read elsewhere sometimes there can be a problem with optical devices being recognised (Promise in particular apparently doesn't tell you about this little snag!).

This is definitely a solution I would recommend that works. I did have a look at those silly IDE to SATA connectors (only spottily available here anyway) -- but in my setup with drives mounted sideways in the Antec Sonata case there would simply not have been room because they project out the back an inch or so-- plus the very idea of having to contact floppy drive power connectors to them (for why??) is just so antediluvian!!

Apart from that, it probably would have cost me $30 or so for each IDE/SATA connector - there would have been the need for two floppy power connectors - just so inconvenient and more expensive, as well as the fact that they would simply not fit in my case. At $25 the Connectland PCI-IDE card was a cheap option, even if it did not work, and it worked perfectly first-time - I have absolutely nothing to complain about and this 'option' is recommended. YMMV as they say.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?