Computer Help forum

General discussion

AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Installeris unable to detec

by joshua63 / August 7, 2010 4:51 PM PDT

AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Installer is unable to detect your modem.
So my computer has been wiped out and that stuff so i am trying to install internet in my computer again. But everytime i get the ATT yahoo unable to detect modem with the yahoo high speed internet disk. I use a motorola modem style MSTATEA and a Netgear router WGR614 v9 for the internet. Everything is connected properly and the green lights are everywhere they should be but i just can't seem to find the problem. It also says No Modem Found which i have no idea why they aren't able to. On the installer it says:
No Modem Found
AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet is unable to detect your modem.

1) Make sure that your modem is turned on (the button on the back of the modem should be pressed in).
2) Insure that the yellow Ethernet cable is connected from the yellow port on the back of the modem to the Ethernet port on your computer.

Please select Help<-(bold) to see how your modem should be connected, or Retry<-(bold) to try and detect the modem again immediately. I have triple checked and everything and 1) and 2) is in and everything. So i still can't find the problem and always get the same No modem found. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Installeris unable to detec
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Installeris unable to detec
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My solution...
by Willy / August 7, 2010 7:24 PM PDT

I had run across this problem earlier this week. When returned to the client, the system flat out wouldn't see the ATT modem. No matter what I did, it refused to proceed further even after using the ATT-SST(self-support tool) s/w, it also didn't see the modem. Calling ATT only got the customer help in that they were too busy with current clients, call back later. I finally did a complete reload of the OS and pgms. to include the ATT stuff. What was different, was the registration of the modem and customer info in order to complete the install. Once that was done, it acted as its suppose to. The modem info is the decal of the S/N# for that modem and customer details which weren't asked when the system was up and running before. Doing all this got the system to proceed. While, I can't be sure, it maybe an outside issue with ATT having to supply this info and maybe why they were so busy. Their database may have been corrupted or compromised as the required links couldn't be reached and broadband was denied. It seemed strange unable to get support which wasn't a problem in the past.

If, during the reload of the system, it didn't ask for such ATT info, then then hopefully that's the crux of your problem. I exclude any true modem damage, which does happen. Use the disc supplied when the modem was shipped to install or get your SST pgm. from ATT support website. You will need to know password and client ID, etc. in order to be 100% install.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
how??
by joshua63 / August 8, 2010 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: My solution...

how do you reload the pgms and OS?It's windows Xp

Collapse -
Re: reloading Windows
by Kees Bakker / August 8, 2010 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: how??

The easiest way: follow the 'system recovery' procedures that came with your PC. They refer to either a system recovery partition on the hard disk or one or more system recovery CD's.
The result is that the machine is restored to the state it was in when it left the factory and you bought it.

Kees

Collapse -
my pc
by joshua63 / August 9, 2010 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: reloading Windows

my pc was home made and it didnt ahve any system recovery procedures

Collapse -
OS discs?
by Willy / August 9, 2010 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: how??

Let's be clear, you do have the SST s/w from ATT, correct? If so, try to reload that s/w in order to connect the modem. If no power sw., then simply unplug the modem for 1min. then reconnect. Run the SST s/w to reattach modem. If that doesn't work then use the XP restore feature.

The XP restore feature is using a restore point(date) when the system was running OK. Google for restore details. Once you understand that, pick a restore point when it was OK, and allow it to complete the task, it will take awhile. Once done, Try your ATT stuff again and see if it works. If not, then re-use the SST s/w to try again to reconnect modem.

If none of this works, then call ATT support. It should be a free call for support.

Now, you didn't explain why your ATT s/w isn't working other than trying to reload it. I suspect it got corrupted or hosed in some way. If as I stated before it doesn't ask for the modem info s/n#, etc. it will won't complete its task.

As for reloading the OS from scratch, you will need the OS discs whether original retail/upgrade or OEM type, you WILL NEED THEM. You can also try the "repair option", google for details on that for XP. This should also refresh the OS as well of any MS type corrupted files, etc.. Otherwise, a complete reload the OS maybe the only recovery mode left to you. This a serious consideration, thus you need the discs. Save/back-up any critial data you like before doing a OS reload. If not required, then proceed at your own risk.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thoughts
by Bob__B / August 7, 2010 11:02 PM PDT

Does device manager show a network adapter/nic?

Any error flags in device manager?

Bypass the router....test.

Collapse -
??
by joshua63 / August 8, 2010 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts

I dont know how to do any of that bob

Collapse -
Its in control panel
by cheeserinoo1 / August 8, 2010 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: ??

go to start>control panel>(Classic view if you dont already have it)>Device Manager

Collapse -
dont have it
by joshua63 / August 8, 2010 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Its in control panel

cant find classic view or device manager

Collapse -
what os are you runnning?
by cheeserinoo1 / August 8, 2010 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: dont have it

If its vista in control panel home to the left there should be a classic view.

Collapse -
no no
by joshua63 / August 8, 2010 2:57 PM PDT

its windows Xp

Collapse -
Was looking for your os in op
by cheeserinoo1 / August 9, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: no no

If its xp then Click on Start and then Control Panel. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link. If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link, so simply double-click on the System icon. If you are in the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.

Collapse -
what it shows
by joshua63 / August 9, 2010 6:54 AM PDT

All it shows is a 1394 networkk adapter no error flags. . so what do i do?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?