Phones forum

General discussion

AT&T Reception Problem

by Ace78611 / November 15, 2008 10:03 PM PST

I got a Motorola Q9h last month and signed up for AT&T when I did. Before then I was using an AT&T Tilt on T-Mobile, and reception was terrible then too. AT&T was amazing for about a month, I had full 3G everywhere, even elevators and old Philadelphia buildings. After about a month, the reception is only good when I'm outside or near my window, and reception in building is full EDGE at best.

I drop my phone a lot, could I have damaged the radio by doing so? Does anyone know if AT&T gives you great reception for the first month and then doesn't afterwards? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT&T Reception Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT&T Reception Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drop your phone and expect consequences
by Pepe7 / November 16, 2008 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: AT&T Reception Problem

It very likely IMO that you did mess up something under the hood, as the Tilt is a real brick compared to the lighter Nokia candybar style handsets that could really take a beating. I've only dropped my Tilt once and it was on relatively thick carpet with padding underneath.

OTOH, it is possible that they're doing work on a cell site near you- it will take a call to tech support to get them to address the issue. If you don't call and complain, nothing will likely happen.

Before bothering with this step though, as we aren't 100% certain you've damaged your Tilt, I suggest borrowing a friend's ATT 3G handset (any brand will do) and test the signal out with your SIM using their phone in the locations you've complaining about. This will likely give you the best indication of what's going on and eliminate some things.

-Pedro

Collapse -
I know here
by PudgyOne / November 16, 2008 1:15 PM PST

in Lancaster, we have them working on the network trying to make more 3G coverage, so around the weekends, I notice different types of connections.

The customer service rep told me that you should turn your phone off for around 30 seconds, twice a week and if they have any updates, it then comes to your phone automatically.

Rick

Collapse -
Reception
by lalo1968 / November 18, 2008 10:57 AM PST

Att & T-mobile suck!!! Reception Is Limited!!! Try Verizon And See The Differce Like The Saying Goes You Get What You Pay For!!

Collapse -
ridiculous generalization
by Pepe7 / November 18, 2008 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Reception

Feh. Don't be so silly and frankly, uninformed. It all depends on where you are using the phone. As is the case with all wireless carriers, Verizon is also not without its holes in coverage.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!