Computer Help forum

General discussion

AT Power Supply Help

I have an old motherboard with an AT form factor. (Its a Compaq Presario 5220). I unplugged the power cord that connects the power supply to the motherboard. Does anyone know the general pattern to connect it. (There are three plugs that need to be connected and each are label P1, P2, and P3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AT Power Supply Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AT Power Supply Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Leave it to Compaq. every other one

In reply to: AT Power Supply Help

use two connectors. Look as one when they are plugged in. For the two, they plug in such that the black leads are next to each other. No idea about three, so I'm wasting your time except to say email the Compaq [now hp] website and ask. I understand that they can be very helpful.

Collapse -
Re: AT Power Supply Help

Collapse -
Re: AT Power Supply Help *update*

If it helps, here is a picture of the situation.
http://www.geocities.com/josh2925/motherboard.jpg

I already tried contacting the HP site, the tech support offered no help. They said I should take a prehistoric 6 year-old computer to a Compaq repair center. Anyways... if anyone knows of a good site that has Compaq manuals it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: AT Power Supply Help *update*

In reply to: Re: AT Power Supply Help *update*

I looked and the connectors are KEYED so you can't get it wrong...

Bob

Collapse -

Look at the connection area vs the plug, there should be "silk-screened" on mtrbd. corresponding numbers for P1, P2, P3 in order to help in connection. Yeah, Compaq does things differently, so next time jot down what goes where to reduce confusion factor. Sad

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -

Thanks for your help... I just sort of guessed and it worked. I wouldnt advise anyone doing this with a good computer but if it is over 5 years old it doesnt matter. Only God really matters.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!