Speakeasy forum

General discussion

At least we don't have to worry about the Mongols

by Ziks511 / December 29, 2008 12:09 PM PST

Since the discussion of Israel versus Hamas has resulted in my writing about the Moslem incursions into Europe (the battle of Tours in the middle of France came only 100 years after the death of Mohammed) I thought we should consider the other major shaping force that is even less known or more ignored, the Mongolian invasions from Ghengis Khan forward.

But first, Atilla the Hun was not unrelated to the Mongols and led the Yellow Horde. All subsequent armies of Mongols were named after colours, Ghengis Khan led the Golden Horde, Batu Khan the Blue Horde.

Chin Shih Huang (259-210 BCE) who gave his name to China, was a Mongol warrior whose troops united most of the warring provinces of China, then attempted to close the door on the other Mongol tribes via the Great Wall. This succeeded for roughly a millenium. The next era of expansionism began in 1205. there's a really nice animation of Mongol expansionism

to a patch just north of China all the way east and west including roughly half of the Soviet Union Iran Iraq Afghanistan and Pakistan and Turkey, and all of Poland and Hungary in 90 years. During that time the slaughter of conquered peoples was unprecedented and nearly total. The process including the conquest of China began with Ghengis Khan who also took a shot at Japan while he was at it. His heirs Batu Khan (his grandson) who displaced Ogotai Khan and was succeeded by Berke who spread the empire to Poland and Hungary.

Another unrelated warrior who has come down to us as Tamerlane the Great, or Timur the Lame, was responsible for the conquest of India, Pakistan Afghanistan Iran Irag Syria and Turkey. He was not a Mongol per se in that he was of Turkic stock, and this is how the Indo European language came to enter India, Pakistan, Iran and Turkey.
His grave was excavated during the spring of 1941 and was opened on June 19th despite the curse written on the tomb, "Whoever disturbs my tomb will bring demons of war into his land". The German invasion began on June 22nd. Wikipedia credits him with the death of about 17 million people. Stalin must have studied these people.

Timur is the national hero of Uzbekistan, and has a statue replacing Stalin's in the main square of Tashkent.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: At least we don't have to worry about the Mongols
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: At least we don't have to worry about the Mongols
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very interesting.
by James Denison / December 29, 2008 1:31 PM PST

You forgot to mention the European horde that invaded America, and swept across the continent. One of the more successful ones, wouldn't you say?

Collapse -
Probably the most successful invasion in history
by Ziks511 / December 29, 2008 4:17 PM PST
In reply to: Very interesting.

though the death toll through unexpected disease was very high, it at least wasn't intentional. The actual death tolls due to combat were relatively low.

The Spanish, having introduced the various pestilences (things like measles and chicken pox carried off millions) were primarily concerned with Mexico and South America. By the time explorers looking for the Seven Cities of Cibola reached the Mississipian culture in Missouri large cities were virtually deserted because the sickness carried off nearly 90% of the inhabitants. The Mississipian culture was at least as advanced as the Aztec and has left serpent mounds in Ohio and large earthen pyramids all over the central parts of the States.

And certainly the newcomers flourished both financially and philosophically. In my opinion 2 of the great democracies flourish here.

And thanks James for pointing out my omission.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?