Speakeasy forum

General discussion

At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/01/politics/campaign/01protest.html

At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash With Police
By DIANE CARDWELL and MARC SANTORA

Published: September 1, 2004

A series of demonstrations rippled across Manhattan last night when protesters tried to converge on the Republican National Convention, as a day of planned civil disobedience erupted into clashes with police officers and led to the arrest of more than 900 people.

The wave of confrontations - which included a brawl with the police at the New York Public Library, marauding crowds cursing at delegates in Midtown and the detention of hundreds of protesters near ground zero - created a day of disorder in a convention week already marked by sustained protests against the Bush administration and the war in Iraq.

Now what were some of you saying about law enforcement personnel asking questions of people about plans to participate in violent demonstrations?

Responding to word that anarchists planned to somehow disrupt the morning's trading, hundreds of police officers flooded the blocks surrounding the New York Stock Exchange before 8 a.m.

Not exactly a pro America activity. More like the Communist sponsored protests designed for lawless confrontation to be used to demonize law enforcement. Rather telling that such anti-American activities were not noted during the DNC convention in Boston.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash

In reply to: At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash

Rather telling that such anti-American activities were not noted during the DNC convention in Boston.

Not really, since Kerry is not the incumbent and the Democrats don't control the House or Senate. The protests in '68 were also at the convention of the incumbent party even though LBJ was already out of the race.

And I did hear something about some people burning Kerry in effigy at the DNC. I'm sure you consider that anti-American in spirit; at least I hope so.
Collapse -

In reply to: Re: At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash

As is you norm lately you reply out of context.

What is anti-American is the intentional violent and illegal activies.

The initial Demonstration with the most demonstrators was peaceful and orderly and although I have a personal opinion of the lack of intellect among then I can't fault their doing it legitimately although I can fault them for aiding the enemy with their activies EXACTLY as Giap has acknowledged American Protestors including Kerry and Fionda aided him and his agenda. Interestingly enough Al Quaeda is adhering to the basic tenets of Giap's plan used against both the French and the US--wonder why?

The same type of peaceful demonstrating happened at the Democratic Convention. Anarchists were not to be seen--understandable though sinde various of the Heinz foundations are funding the anarchist groups as well as some of the peaceful law abiding protestors.

Collapse -

Well, I'll join you in condemning violent and illegal behavior by demonstrators.

Beyond that....well, I think I'll skip it. Too nice a day.

Collapse -
Slight edit to my previous post

(I'm not a mod anymore so I can't delete and resubmit my own posts any longer)

While I oppose violence, I won't automatically condemn all illegal behavior. Some things fall within the scope of "civil disobedience," a term with which I know you're familiar.

Wink

Collapse -
Now that I inow that the protestors are all

"commies" I will use my AMERICAN right of choice and no longer bother to read posts by EO!

Collapse -
I've always wondered,

don't any of these thousands of protestors have jobs? Are the majority of them living on government handouts?

Collapse -
Re: I've always wondered

In reply to: I've always wondered,

Hi, Brian.

A lot are students (schools generally start here next week), others think it important enough to use vacation time.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: I've always wondered -- PS And many are indeed jobless

In reply to: Re: I've always wondered

thanks to GWB's economic policies, which is why they dislike him so much!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: I've always wondered,

BWideGrin, don't believe it is like it used to be in Japan, but who knows..

The demonstrators when I was in Japan were hired and the leaders were professionals. They were huge with wild loud noise and people using dragon costumes snaking through colorful groups of people. It was sort of like a parade with spectators. Sometimes it was intimidating, especially the hired communist demonstrations, but the US Military asked all to go about their normal business, no one was harmed, and no one arrested, as they knew their boundaries.

Collapse -
Read Dave's response...he speaks from experience

but didn't bother mentioning that most will have income provided by their hard working parents who don't know what they are up to instead of the studies they are paying for.

Some too are on the payroll of various groups getting funded through various foundations.

Most of course are simply followers like previous protestors who have been fed a line and lack the talent or desire to investigate on their own.

Collapse -
There is a difference between............

.....conservatism and liberalism, and it is being adequately displayed in New York, as it was in Boston.

Yep, this is a very important election, and it transcends any individual candidate, IMO.

Collapse -

*Rather telling that such anti-American activities were not noted during the DNC convention in Boston.*

Well, no one in the Bush camp paid the protesters to stay away...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.