General discussion

At least 89 dead in Joplin Missouri

The Apocalypse arrived, but later than expected;

Missouri tornado: Joplin storm kills dozens. Hundreds injured.

The Deadliest single tornado in more than 50 years.

One report said it looks like a war zone!

It is sad to see that this has been a terrible year so far with hundreds dead in tornadoes across the southern states.

I see Alabama was hit. Isn't that where Angeline lives?

Mark

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: At least 89 dead in Joplin Missouri
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: At least 89 dead in Joplin Missouri
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Angeline's last residence was in Tennessee

- Collapse -
(NT) Hopefully safe then.
- Collapse -
Mark F, & James D. Mark, the only true funnel cloud

I ever saw touching the ground, I saw was in Essex, not far from Hawker Restorations (no longer in business) at ?North Audley airfield close to the glorious remains of a Jacobean mansion called Audley End. It's huge, although it is only 1/8th of the original, and perhaps the only Jacobean survivor of the great mansions.

James. There were several (?6?) tornadoes in Maryland last month along with the ones that hit Virginia. The worst was an F2 (130 mph). Hope there wasn't too much destruction?

Have you driven the Savage River Road? I used to love that road. We drove it to and from our summer place.

Rob

- Collapse -
I've not been to Savage River in awhile

A great nature walk there along the river.

- Collapse -
Absolutely and the Nature Reserve too. Our summer place

(and fall winter and spring too) was a farm about 600 yards or so away from it, and we had permission to walk across our neighbour's land to it so long as we stayed along the fence line. When I think of Home, that's what I think of half the time, and Ft. McHenry, and Silver Hill and a dozen other places too. But Polecat Road doesn't figure, even though we drove by it often enough Laugh .

I propose a deal. Whenever we're tempted to take a chunk out of one another, let's both think of the Savage River. It should help us both.

Rob

- Collapse -
there is a particular spot

I've noticed along it where every year either monarch or similar looking butterflies come to suck at the mud. I don't know what's in the mud at that spot, but every year they are attracted to it. Some mineral I'd suppose they find there that is "tasty" to them. It's not near the mill, but just down from where the river is split into two beds for awhile, making a small narrow island in the center.

- Collapse -
Mud puddling.
- Collapse -
that's very interesting

I figured must be something like a salt lick of sorts. Never knew that much about why they did it though. The site is upstream from what used to be an old mill. The mill pond still exists. I believe there was a rail track near that spot too. Maybe it's something naturally seeping from the ground there, or something dumped on the ground higher up that years later still runs off or seeps to that area of the stream. It's always the same spot.

- Collapse -
Neat, thanks. I'm trying to inveigle a Canadian friend

into a trip down home, partly to see the Capitol, because he's a history junkie, partly for the Smithsonian and the National Air and Space Museum, and partly for what used to be called Silver Hill, but is the new-ish annex to the NASM. I have a friend in Williamsburg Virginny, (you want a complicated personal history? Born in Texas of parents of Norwegian stock from Saskatchewan, raised partly in Houston then in Oxford, then in Toronto. She is therefore American and Canadian. She married a Physicist from South Houston who went to CalTech and Berkley before coming up here to complete his PhD. One son born in Toronto has returned to the U of Toronto where his father taught to do his PhD in Mathematics. Other son, born in Virginia is going to William and Mary. She has the oddest Mid Atlantic accent yet with a twang you've ever heard.)

Anyway, if I get down there, I'm going to hike a portion of the Savage River for old time's sake.

Rob

- Collapse -
It's heart rending Mark....

I've had relatives who live in tornado alley tell me that it's hard to understand what it's like until you've lived through it.The noise and absolute power that's impossible to defend against!The only hope you have is adequate warning so you can take shelter.The majority of death occurs from getting hit by flying debris.

To give an idea of the power generated,a Diesel Locomotive weighs in the neighborhood of 250 tons and freight cars range from 30 tons empty to 140 tons loaded.This video shows a train getting slammed by a tornado!The power that was generated is left up to the imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADnriWzJes

- Collapse -
And the Governor agrees with you:
But the governor said many people likely were unable to get to shelter in time. "The bottom line was the storm was so loud you probably couldn't hear the sirens going off."

And, this MSN news headline JUST in:
"City 'cut in half,' death toll hits at least 116"

Sad
- Collapse -
We lived in tornado alley for five years

Our first Texas thunderstorm was also the first time I'd been scared by weather since I was a little kid. Those storms are bigger, badder and louder than anything I'd ever seen firsthand before. Cloud-to-ground lightning, hail the size of baseballs, rotating clouds, it's really frightening. More than once we had to take cover in a bathtub in the middle of the night because the tornado sirens went off.

Spring weather is one thing I absolutely do not miss about Texas.

- Collapse -
Josh, and it's flat as a billiard table in most areas.

Nothing to slow a storm once it starts.

- Collapse -
video at Telegraph
- Collapse -
Reporter's Emotional Reaction In Joplin
- Collapse -
I have relatives in that area

but they are all OK. My grandmother is buried there along with my Aunt Glenn.

We lived just north of Tulsa for four years and used to watch the tornadoes form in the distance. It was scarey watching them come down from the clouds and go back up. And we didn't have a basement.

Diana

- Collapse -
President Obama, who is in Europe at the moment

will be visiting Joplin, Mo on Sunday.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/05/24/obama-to-visit-joplin-mo/

I note that Obama has visited tornado ruined communities and ensured the timely arrival rescue supplies unlike the response to Hurricane Katrina, where it took Bush days to wake up and stop playing golf while on holidays, as opposed to an official state across the Atlantic.

But politics is the new religion, and belief rather than reason leads. Republicans see Moderation as error, Progressivism (the program of Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 campaign), the Democrats and particularly Obama as the Anti-Christ. The Democratic Party believing in its own rightness and puzzling over why nobody is listening, having trouble connecting to its base despite the obvious benefits it offers the vast majority. It's wondrous what money can do to confuse the issue.

Rob

- Collapse -
Ziks

You don't make converts by bashing people all the time.

- Collapse -
Have it your way Roger. My point was the difference in

response of two different Presidents with two very different approaches to similar circumstances.

It was supposed to have been seen as being followed by a completely separate (And I wish I had posted it elsewhere and separately) view of the "blood sport" nature of modern politics. I shouldn't have muddied the first by connecting it to the second, though I'm sure people would have viewed it as a shot at Bush, when it was simply a statement of what I understood to be fact.

I don't see anyone in the Republican base being moved by President Obama's actions or his words or anything connected to him. There was too much conflict generated over the death of Osama bin Laden to hope for movement there. Conservative feet seem to be too set in concrete, but it remains to be seen where the Independents and the Moderate Republicans will cast their votes in 2012.

My Apologies for a poorly constructed previous post.

Rob

- Collapse -
Roger, please note attempted peace making with James Denison

which pre-dates the objectionable post (and I admit there were legitimate grounds to object to it). It is not my intention to persistently and irrevocably be a PITA. I have views which irritate, but then others here have views which irritated me, so we're even. However, I shall endeavour to handle things less heavy handedly. I can't promise not to revert, since I read so much anti-Obama drivel here, but I will at least try. It would be nice if others could be persuaded to tone down the rhetoric as well.

I learned the art of political zingers at my parents', and grandparents' knees. We were modestly political, and I can remember watching the 1956 Republican Convention on TV with my cousin, now living in California, and probably a Republican if she followed her parents. I can remember the 1952 election too, but we didn't have a television then. We were Stevenson folk for all the good it did, and I still think he was the smartest man in politics at the time. I sort of have memories of the '48 Truman victory, but the real memories are hard to separate from the pictures I've seen since. I do remember my parents being wildly happy a day late.

Rob

- Collapse -
I'm not deeply religious, though I can quote scripture that

I learnt in Sunday School. Nevertheless, my prayers are with her, and I hope that she is well and safe, and that she has not lost anything to the horrors of weather. She has had so much to deal with in recent years, and I still feel great affection for her and great hopes for her happiness and well-being for the future.

Rob

- Collapse -
It's one thing to hear and read about the Joplin tornado,

It's quite another to see reporters (CNN) on the ground, and the view from helicopters, and to read that there are at least 1200 unaccounted for (most of them will be I hope) and that it's an F5 tornado.

There's a line from Twister, for a while my son's favourite movie in England, about the Fujita scale of tornadoes, and Jamie Gertz character says "What's an F5 (or is it F6) like?" And another character says "The finger of God."

That's what it looks like on the Television. I try not to look at Television before 7PM, but when I did it looked like the Apocalypse. My heart goes out to everyone in that area, and my hopes and prayers go to them too.

Rob

- Collapse -
Last I heard (Thursday) the missing toll was down to 232

which is still bad, but not 1,200. Continued hopes for more survivors.

Is there anywhere which researches truly tornado-proof buildings?? Even a solid first storey which wouldn't fragment or let debris in would be a big improvement.

Rob

- Collapse -
concrete domes

Done with shotcrete and rebar as a complete integrated shell.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/why-build-a-concrete-dome

http://www.meet-mr-concrete.com/concrete-dome-homes.html

Airform has created an inflatable structure that blows up like a balloon to create an egg shell form that is well known to resist wind due to its shape.A rounded shape does not create a barrier as flat walls do. High winds are able to circulate around the shape without trying to force its way through.Made of PVC-coated nylon or polyester fabric, Airform forms an extreme one piece shell, ready to be finished with concrete inside and out.Shotcrete is the method of applying concrete to concrete dome homes that seals off cracks on the interior and forms a great looking surface.

http://www.safedomes.com/id31.html

A church building that survived a big tornado.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/minimal-tornado-damage-at-faith-chapel"

The tornado cut a path through the back portion of Faith Chapel's property, and had we not chosen to go with the Monolithic dome structure, there is no doubt that the amount of damage would have been much more significant. Pretty much all of the non-dome structures on and around our campus in the tornado's path were either severely damaged or completely destroyed. The domes sustained minimal damage, which was for the most part cosmetic.

http://ecosustainablevillage.com.ip01-web23.net/dome_homes.htm

Google concrete dome homes and tornados

CNET Forums