TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

at Costco. MX-42X3 was made in June of 2005 info!

This is the newest Maxent out, please post what you like or don't about it, so we all can learn.

Costco has a 300 off coupon good for like a week, 1,999 before coupon.

Call tech support today, the site for this TV is www.maxentusa.com

Left mess., and to my surprise the guy called me back, and said this is their newest TV out. He spoke well of it, and said they put a lot of work into making a nice one. I tried to buy 3 of them, and got 1 before they closed, the rest were up in the racks. Gonna go try and get 2 more tomorrow. Used the 300 off coupon.

Here is some info I found on another site, guys, check it out.

FYI For those questioning the Maxent name, the MX-42X3 uses the same OEM Samsung PDP panel used by many other OEMs in their high end plasma products . The PDP in this Maxent is the Samsung S42AX-XB02 which is the successor to the popular S42AX-XB01 found in the Toshiba 42HP83, 42HP84, Panasonic TH 42PHD7UY, and the Philips Ambilight 42PF9966/37 among others.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: at Costco. MX-42X3 was made in June of 2005 info!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: at Costco. MX-42X3 was made in June of 2005 info!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more on the MX-42X3

In reply to: at Costco. MX-42X3 was made in June of 2005 info!

I found this on another site, and am posting here for all to read.

Date Posted: Aug/08/2005 10:40 PM
Posted By: kneel
I just picked this up at the Costco at Pentagon City in Arlington, VA. I had quite a hard time getting someone to help me load the thing on my cart (weighs 100 pounds)then an even harder time finding the 300 off coupon (most of the cashiers were clueless to the deal for some reason), then another hard time getting the huge thing in my 2001 Integra, but my work paid off.

The contrast, color, and brightness are great. Picture quality is awesome. Everyone who complained about the quality must have been looking at the one at best buy, which appears to be similar but has very different specs. Contrast on the costco one is 3000:1 while the best buy one is 1000:1 and brightness is 1000 lumens versus 750 at best buy... at 300 dollars more.

After hooking up my svideo cable to the xbox, I popped in a 720p game (MVP Baseball 2004) and it looked amazing. Halo looked great as well. Did the same on my Gamecube and Pikmin looked nice and clear. Have not tried PS2 yet.

VGA input was fine.

Played a few DVDs on the set through my Toshiba RS-TX20 DVD/Tivo. Lord of the rings was amazing, as was Resident Evil. The text on the opening credits looked a little pixelated on Blade but the rest of the movie looked fine.

Scaler could probably be better... Regular tv looks pretty much like crap, but I suppose that is the fault of the source and not the TV. When more channels are available in high-def, maybe I'll pick up a digital cable/hd receiver.

Remote is a little cheap, but once you get the monitor set up, you shouldnt need it anyway.

Only thing I don't like so far is that if youre using component inputs you can't use the zoom modes, it only does 4:3 or 16:9. This keeps me from being able to use "panorama" when watching TV through my Tivo.

Overall, I think it was quite worth its money and I am pretty darn happy, as I really only wanted the TV for DVDs and video games.

Collapse -
MX-42X3 was made in June of 2005 info!

I was at Costco last night and looked at this. It is a HD monitor ONLY it has NO TV TUNERS at all, so keep this in mind it your thinking about buying one.
The demo was feed a Dish Network HD signal so it looked good. It is 1080i capable, A Dish Network 811 HD reciver that has a OTA HD tuner built in would work great with this unit. John

Collapse -
Making a decision

I need help in making a decision on which plasma to buy from Costco. They are running the special on Maxtent 42" $300 off and they have the Panasonic 42". I know the Maxtent is HDTV and the Panasonic is EDTV but I will not be subscribing to HDTV any time soon and from what I understand the lower resolution Panasonic will look better using my Direct TV hookup as opposed to the higher resolution capabilities on the Maxtent.
Any info in helpng me make my decision will be most helpful.

W

Collapse -
Hold It On The False Information

In reply to: Making a decision

I don't blame the poster (just passing on what they heard) but there is a lot of bad info going around on who makes which panels.

Panasonic makes their own panels as well as those in the Toshiba's . Samsung does not make panels for any of the major Japanese brands. I have heard the rumor that Maxent uses Panny glass but not from any reliable source. If I was a Maxent marketing guy, that is exactly what I would whisper into the people's ears at the dealer's store.

In my opinion the EDTV Panasonic is a better buy than the HDTV Maxent. The Panny has better PQ with both SD TV signals and also DVD's. The Panny will have a PQ equal to the Maxent in most cases from 8-10 feet or more. Most people cannont tell the difference between the top quality EDTV and the medium quality HDTV. In fact, when I audtioned the same pair on a quality OTA HD signal the EDTV I bought, JVC (NEC glass) was equal to or slightly superior to the HDTV sets and all of the HDTV and LCD and projection sets.

There is more to PQ than specs, it's called quality and is especially applicable in plasmas. The brightness specs are useless because there is no common standard industry spec for brightness. That's why you see HTIB systems that claim they are a 800 watt system (baloney)! Each brand can put anything they want in that brightness category. I have not seen a plasma or LCD set that was not adequately bright for all but the brightest of rooms.

RR6

Collapse -
<The PDP in this Maxent is the Samsung S42AX-XB02...>

<The PDP in this Maxent is the Samsung S42AX-XB02...>

actually, the panel in the MX-42X3 is a Panasonic..

Collapse -
pdp

Hi, can you tell me where you got the info as to what pdp is used in the toshiba 42ap83, 42ap84, and 42pf9976/37. The reason i ask is i have replacement screens samsung s42ax-xb01and I am looking to buy sets with bad screens. Thanks John

Collapse -
pdp

In reply to: pdp

Please tell me you found out which tv uses the samsung s42ax-xb02. I have actually found that there are several models using the screen but i would like to find one that uses the samsung power supply that is already on my screen. the toshiba 42hp83 uses the screen but has alot of toshiba stuff added to it. have you found a specific tv to use the panel in?

Collapse -
Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the forementioned

HDTV sets. I'd want something with more promise.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.