General discussion

AsusA8N-SLI Deluxe MotherBoard and HDD

I am buying an Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard. The MB says it supports 4x SATA2, sx ATA-133, 4x SATA RAID 0/0+1

I am also getting a 200GB Maxtor SATA HDD with it. I wanted to use my older ATA-133 Drives since it will support them (according to the specs). So I just have a couple questions.

Are there any disadvantages to using the older disk drives with the MB? They will be used for backups and for storing music (but not for program files or my OS).

Will I still be able to use a DVD RW and DVD reader drive if I use 2 ATA drives on that controller as well?

thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AsusA8N-SLI Deluxe MotherBoard and HDD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AsusA8N-SLI Deluxe MotherBoard and HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Certainly.

If you are going to put Win XP on the SATA drive, as the boot drive, be sure to read how to install the SATA drivers on during the XP install [using the F6 button]. It varies slightly mfr to mfr.

- Collapse -
You can convert your Old IDE Hard Drive to...

a SATA drive using an adapter, see link below:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=202+0258&dept=&search=&child=

You will need to set the jumper on the Hard Drive to a Slave on the Second Drive (Old Hard Drive) and connect it to the SATA Slave port.
Note: You may have to set up a RAID configuration or make a change in the Bios program for the drive to work correctly.
Also you may want to E-mail ASUS about the best way to install the drive. Link below has ASUS support:

http://usa.asus.com/contact/contactindex.htm

CNET Forums

Forum Info