Laptops forum

General discussion

ASUS - Worst laptop service

by JMKG61 / February 1, 2011 2:17 AM PST

ASUS boasts the best service in the business, on their site, and over the hold tape on their service line. Their service basically doesn't exist, and their warranties are all but worthless. I bought one of their laptops at Best Buy, based on this claim. The power supply went bad in the first year. It took 3 months to get them to replace it. First they said my serial number didn't exist. I sent them copies of the SN from the machine, box, and the original purchase receipt. Then they told me I had to go back to Best Buy (who insisted I had to go to ASUS). Countless hours over many weeks. Could not even BUY a universal supply to replace it, because none of them work on ASUS laptops. A few months later, the display went. I'm several months into this process again. They outsource their toll-free support to the Carribean, where they are clearly trained to frustrate you until you just give up and go away. They refuse to even tell you where ASUS is located. (I found out which State AG to file a complaint with by going to Investor Relations on their website, and looking up their address on their annual shareholders report.) Although the model I bought clearly states on their website is included in their 2-year warranty on all laptops, they claim this warranty does not apply if you buy it at Best Buy. Complained to the CA State AG, and eventually got an e-mail with an RMA# to send it in. Weeks later, no reply from ASUS to even acknowlege they received the laptop. UPS tracking said it got there within 2 days. Finally got someone on ASUS support line, only to be told to call back in 3-4 weeks to see if anything had happened. This is clearly not an isolated incident, as it happened twice on the same unit, several months apart. Claims for great service, and industry-leading warranties are worthless. I unfortunately bought one of their EEE netbooks and an all-in-one desktop after buying the laptop, and before my first experience with their support. Less than a year later, the netbook is a paperweight. I'm not even bothering to try to get service on that one. Who else has had a similar experience? If you own an ASUS that's supposedly under the 2-year warranty period, call their support number and see what happens. Who else has had a similar experience? Would love to hear.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS - Worst laptop service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS - Worst laptop service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.