Question

Asus ROG STRIX GL702VS Wont turn on

So I have a gl702vs-gc033t and last time I turned it on it failed to load past the first loading screen so I opened the bottom after unplugging the device and holding the power button for 30 seconds how ever as I opened it I got a bit to close to the motherboard board and sparks shot up from the motherboard and now all the laptop will do is show the power light for a split second then it does nothing and the light goes out. I am wondering if the laptop would be repairable and what I could of possibly of done?

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Asus ROG STRIX GL702VS Wont turn on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Asus ROG STRIX GL702VS Wont turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like a hardware failure.

Is it worth trying a new CMOS battery? I ask because I am now running into clients that want assurance it is or is not a 50 cent part. If the client won't try this we tell them it's the motherboard (which it usually is and will include a new 50 cent battery.)

- Collapse -
CMOS battery

For some reason I didn’t think this could stop the laptop booting entirely to the point of not a single thing other than a light powering on how ever I shall get a replacement just incase

- Collapse -
This is typical.

I always like to try the cheapest thing it could be but am running into owners that don't want to risk the 50 cents to a dollar. I haven't figured out why this is yet.

- Collapse -
Did it work?

I'm having the same exact issue with my unit, did you experience some symptoms prior to your pc not booting up or did jt just straight not boot up one day?

- Collapse -
Folk may or may not return.

The CMOS battery in it's CR2032 form in under 50 cents here in bulk. You can imagine folk wonder when folk don't want to try that and ask for others to confirm when it's such a cheap part.

As to the straight up not boot one day that is about half the typical PC failures we see at the shop. The other half knew the machine was having issues and one day it stopped forcing them to look into repair.

CNET Forums

Forum Info