Computer Help forum

Question

Asus ROG GL752vw sdd problem?

Hello.Two months ago I bought a laptop Asus ROg Gl752vw and a SSD ADATA Premier SP550, the problem is that when I turn on my pc the SSD is not recognized in bios, but if i restart my pc the ssd works very well. I updated my bios to last version with no effect to the problem.If someone can help me I will be very grateful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus ROG GL752vw sdd problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus ROG GL752vw sdd problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've seen this.

In reply to: Asus ROG GL752vw sdd problem?

Not that laptop but other PCs.

Things I check and change.
1. The machine's BIOS SHALL BE CURRENT!
2. I check the SSD maker for firmware updates.
3. I unplug and plug in the SSD.
4. I try another brand.

Collapse -
Answer
Just for yuks

After you do the things Robert said change the bios battery.

Collapse -
I forgot a thing. chkyuk.

In reply to: Just for yuks

Grif reminded me about using CHKDSK on the boot drive. Write back if you are unsure on its use.

Collapse -
Bios

In reply to: I forgot a thing. chkyuk.

Does the bios care if the file system is corrupt or if there is any file system?
Just for the purpose of recognizing the unit.

Collapse -
Yes it does.

In reply to: Bios

While the BIOS may show a drive, that's just one of many steps to get a good full OS booted up. Along the way the file system must be clean.

Collapse -
Bios

In reply to: Yes it does.

Not talking about booting an OS that comes later.

I would not think the bios gives a hoot about the file system for the purpose of recognizing a disk.

Collapse -
BIOS can matter.

In reply to: Bios

Over the years I have seen very odd things. It's entirely possible that a badly corrupt file system (I'll include the boot and partition areas too) could affect the drive reporting in.

I did list what I'd do to work the issue at the top post.

Collapse -
Are you sure?

In reply to: I forgot a thing. chkyuk.

Are you sure chkdsk can be the solution, becouse in what have I read about chkdsk they say it can be used to solve hard disk bad problems or files but my disk is clear is formated and it has only one partition now and even if I delete the partition and leaved it like unformated the same error persists.

Collapse -
Why is there any partition at all?

In reply to: Are you sure?

If you partition then try to install Windows it fails gloriously.

There are other things I try and I see I did cover that above. Should I repeat the list one by one in separate replies to you? There's a lot of things to try and there are free ones and not so free steps.

Collapse -
CHKDSK is my only hope

In reply to: Why is there any partition at all?

I tried to do all the things you suggested, except the last one with the new brand (because I can't afford it right now) and it didn't work. The only thing I can do right now is to use CHKDSK and I will come back to you with the result.

Collapse -
Sorry but I didn't write everything.

In reply to: CHKDSK is my only hope

If you are wiping the drive and starting over we need to do a surface scan (hold on, keep reading as there is no surface in SSDs) to get the SSD electronics to read all areas and KICK in the sector sparing and more.

When you chkdsk in that condition where are are doing the LAST HURRAH to save a drive we know we are near the end. But hey, this is the free exits and ideas so we accept them as BEST TRY and not a fix.

Ready? Look up CHKDSK commands and in there is the full surface scan.
If you have more time, look up the FORMAT command and it has the full format which unless Microsoft changed something will force a full read/write of the entire drive.

Collapse -
I sense the force in this one.

In reply to: CHKDSK is my only hope

"May the force be with you."

Collapse -
Answer
WAG here

1st off, ADATA isn't a premiere brand, its more of a me too type, like real low-level Chinese stuff.

Next, as already stated to you by Robert all those steps required to be at the best level possible should already be done. While SSD is common now, the point some users forget, that's still a huge chunk of RAM(SSD) being loaded and it takes time. In other words during boot alot is going on a 1-chance to cycle thru is being done. If not sync'ed it pukes. I find if as you state this happens, just live with it. Nothing is going to change that other than a better SSD brand. As a reboot or "hot boot" seems to correct the problem and it boots as if nothing is wrong. That's likely the case, however i lean on poor SSD quality or level of manufacture, even if it states it can do this and that. Your laptop is by itself a top-end PC, thus the SSD maybe a minor bottle-neck, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.