Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Asus Pundit-R getting blue screen with Vista Ultimate

I have a Asus Pundit-R barebones system. It has a Intel P4 chip with HT technology. The systems runs fast and smooth. I can give further specs if needed on the system to help you ascertain why I'm getting a blue screen. But I'm running Vista Ultimate on a system that was definitely not originally designed for it but runs it quite well. All except the blue screen issue I get about once every two or three days. I never lose data but fear I could eventually but either way I would like it fixed. That being said some facts on the blue screen are as listed from the Windows Solution that pops up after the unexpected shut down and restart.

Problem event name - BlueScreen
OS Version - 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID - 1033

BCCode - a
BCP1 - 000000D8
BCP2 - 00000002
BCP3 - 00000001
BCP4 - 81BADFF9
OS Version - 6_0_6001
Service Pack - 1_0
Product - 256_1

Files that help describe the problem
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070309-01.dmp
C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-98343-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Phil\Appdata\Local\Temp\WER3658.tmp.version.txt

Hopefully this information helps. If you need further hardware information since the blue screen says something about a hardware failure before it boots down I can give it to you. I have considered just installing XP instead of Vista. It is obviously more stable, but I have two laptops that run Vista and thought it might be easier to sync them up and swap files and so forth over the network this way. Thanks for any and all suggestions. Like I said if you look at this and just think I need to go to XP thats ok, just was wondering if theres something I can correct first without going that route. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus Pundit-R getting blue screen with Vista Ultimate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus Pundit-R getting blue screen with Vista Ultimate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This looks like a common heat failure.

In reply to: Asus Pundit-R getting blue screen with Vista Ultimate

Collapse -
Sounds about right

In reply to: This looks like a common heat failure.

The fans are pretty clean and the system interior speaking is about dustless as possible. That being said I'm not sure if you knew or not but the machine is a micro-atx machine. So things are packed in really tight. I did get the rounded IDE cabling though which helped a lot with airflow, but it is still quite packed and jammed in there. I have two PCI slots and filled one with a gigalan card since the drivers for the onboard one still needed to be installed. I have considered uninstalling that and using the built in one now that the drivers are all installed. I'm even thinking of taking out the built in 5.25 dvd-rw drive and putting a hard drive bracket for a 3.5 drive in there. Partially so I can be rid of the external hard drive i have now and partially to help with air flow. Plus I rarely use the drive except to occasionally put media onto or occasionally install software. But 90 percent of software these days is available by download in case you lose the disc. So I figure i'll run a usb adapter when necessary. Both of these things could help with air flow since it would give more space with the PCI card and also get rid of IDE cable and replace it with a sata one with the drive replacement. I figure if I do that and blow out the fans one more time this should help. I'm not sure what you're referring to with the heatsink though, please tell me more, thanks.

Collapse -
Links about

In reply to: Sounds about right

Collapse -
Alternatives

In reply to: Links about

I've considered the cooling solution but havent gone that route yet since removing an additional lan card, and taking out the 5.25 inch drive and putting a hard drive in it seems to have helped with air flow and space. Not to mention it eliminated an IDE cable. That and I need to put a PCI video card in there. While that will make some extra heat it will also draw all the processing power off of the main processor and itll be at the back so itll be easy to draw out the heat. So i think it should be fine. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to do the arctic silver if I get any more issues.

Collapse -
Again

In reply to: Links about

I have yet to get the video card but thought I'd post that it did happen again. First time in atleast a week or more though. Notable though that it did it when I put the casing on, but never when I had the casing off and the guts were exposed. Thought that interesting but could be coincidence. I'm not sold on the heat thing though, because after it blue screened I immediately went up and felt by the fan and processor and hard drive and so on and nothing was hot. The room is a comfortable 60 degrees with mild humidity, so unless some humidity or moisture is causing it I'm not sure its heat. Also heres some updated info on what Microsoft told me about the error

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 18
BCP1: 83824E38
BCP2: 84B857A8
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: FFFFFFFF
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini071909-01.dmp
C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-81687-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Temp\WER205F.tmp.version.txt

Thought I'd post this although I'm still wondering if not taxing the prcessor by installing an additional video card would help. But I kind of doubt it. It usually fails when I've been watching video for awhile. But sometimes its random. Also this processor is a 3.2 HT P4 processor, more than capable for general computing and playing normal video even for long durations. I'm thinking I have a hardware issue or incompatibility somewhere. But I'm still curious about some pointers if you have any, thanks.

Collapse -
What you need to know.

In reply to: Again

Parts can be heat sensitive without being overly hot. That is, it used to work when it was warmed with the cover on but not now.

Your writings are typical of heat issues and I've learned to give owners plenty of time to explore drivers and more since that's what it takes.

Good luck and leave the cover off for now.
Bob

Collapse -
Heat Issue

In reply to: What you need to know.

I'm not saying it isn't a heat issue, just was wondering if the further information would solidify your response or make you change it. Secondly you didn't answer the part about installing a video card. I currently have onboard graphics that is more or less run by the processor and onboard memory. Do you think buying a additional video card would take the pressure off of the processor and onboard graphics and alleviate the blue screen problem? Logically I would say yes since the graphics card would then do the majority of the processing for video and the sort leaving the processor with a lighter load and less susceptible to heat. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Heat Issue

I was unclear. I've learned to give owners with such stories time to think about the failure. The fix has never been to add more cards but to replace the board that is failing.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.