Laptops forum

General discussion

ASUS Notebooks: Poor quality control. BEWARE

by TheMammoth731 / September 30, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

Alright. I bought an ASUS g50vt-X1 in march of last year. About 3 weeks ago, randomly it shut off on me while I was sitting at a desk writing a paper for class. It wouldn't boot, I couldn't get to even the BIOS screen, just black screen with all the LED's on.

Of course, this is a whopping 6 months after the warranty expired, so now I'm feeling mighty pissed that my 1000 dollar laptop could be toast. So, I send it out to get repaired at a local certified repair shop, and lo and behold: Dead RAM slot (only 1 died, other works if I take out the dead one, so my "gaming rig" is not a "word processing rig").

Imagine that. A RAM slot died. I have 10 year old computers I've beaten to all hell and nothing failed. A gaming laptop that I took care of like it was glass? Dead RAM slot.

ASUS uses CHEAP parts, refuses to support their products, and screws those living in the US by dropping their warranty to a year in the US (while it's 2-3 anywhere else). It is UNACCEPTABLE. I will never purchase another product from ASUS, and I urge you all to beware when you're buying your own laptop or computer part, as ASUS is not a quality company, and you will likely regret your purchase.

You've been warned. Don't fall into the same trap I did and sink tons of money into a piece of crap.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS Notebooks: Poor quality control. BEWARE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS Notebooks: Poor quality control. BEWARE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually the warnings have been given here for years about.
by rproffitt2 / September 30, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

About what? "Gaming laptops" and shorter lifespans. I see this to have the 9800 chipset and it should have run hot. This translates directly to reduced lifespans but folk even when warned still are upset when the product fails out of warranty.

My estimate is about half life of the normal laptop. Yours is a bit early but could be due to other issues. I find most laptop owners unaware of the yearly cleaning and in the case of gaming laptops, 2 to 4 times a year to avoid heat disasters.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob didn't read, obviously
by TheMammoth731 / September 30, 2010 9:32 AM PDT

If this had ANYTHING to do with the GPU or the CPU, i would agree with you.

But it doesn't. This has to do with a RAM slot. My GPU and CPU work fine. Also as far as cleaning and "heat disasters," I maintained this machine and opened the back to clear out dust with a can of compressed air (used properly) quite a few times. I'm no newbie at this, Bob.

The CPU and GPU, the things I would EXPECT to go on a gaming rig, are perfectly fine, while a RAM slot, something that should never fail in a properly built motherboard, died.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by rproffitt2 / September 30, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

I hear you but the extra heat has everything to do with a failed connector. Here's why.

A few years ago the industry moved to lead free (Pb) boards. If you research this you learn this has caused issues with solder fractures and early board failures. The gaming laptops suffer early failures due to this because of the extra heat produced.

Sadly this is not an Asus exclusive. The average laptop life span is about 4 years. Gaming laptops usually fail in half that time.

To age a laptop faster, you only need to do a few more things. Take it with you daily from home to work and back (or be a student) and game on it.

I know this doesn't help you out but it is normal for gaming laptops to suffer early deaths. To avoid all this pain I suggest avoiding gaming laptops unless there is no other choice.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by MorbiousStone1 / December 8, 2015 6:14 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Asus has always had terrible customer service and workmanship so many failed pieces of hardware they will send you back other failed used returns Always!!! all you have to do is read reviews freaking biostar the cheapest you can get has less RMA % hahaha lies lies lies Asus QC is like chinese knock off junk quality when you buy Asus its like you bought an imitation boot of good hardware hahaha

Collapse -
Asus is still over priced Junk
by MorbiousStone1 / December 8, 2015 6:07 PM PST

As long as i can remember Asus has peddled itself as some Top quality brand their not i know so many people over the years returning 2&3 times top tier/price asus parts be it a video card or motherboard and to top it off get sent a diffrent defective used return during RMA Asus has lots of features and some of the lowest quality parts and workmenship i think they used to be dells oem parts company when dells used to fry left and right....... before they went out on their own thats what i heard.... Asus = Garbage i thought it fitting to post on an old thread to show they have actually gotten much worse!!

Collapse -
Update and then closing this old thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2015 6:23 PM PST

Due to way too many dust filled laptops my advice has changed.

-> Perform the canned air cleaning on laptops on the 1st of every month.

It appears that 2 to 4 times a year isn't enough.

Please start a new thread given the age of this discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?