Laptops forum

General discussion

Asus Netbooks and Linux

by penguin386 / April 26, 2010 2:24 AM PDT

Why did Asus stop selling Linux netbooks? I recently picked up an Asus 1005HAB at Best Buy for $299. It came with Windows 7 Starter edition. They were sold out of the XP model for $279. Too bad. It runs really slow. I tried upgrading the RAM with a Crucial brand 2gb SODIMM to speed it up. It was a piece of cake to install. It helped the speed a little, but not much.

What really helped the speed was installing Linux. I tried several versions of Linux, but had problems with the Atheros Wireless adapter. When I booted from the new Ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition live CD, it saw my network adapter and wireless network right away. This was the ONLY version of Linux that recoginzed it.

Here is what I did to install a dual boot with Windows 7 Starter and Ubuntu 10.04 Linux:

I used the Windows 7 Disc Manager 'Shrink Partition' feature to reduce the size of the Windows 7 partition from 160gb to 120gb.

I downloaded the free Ubuntu 10.04 release candidate ISO file and burned it to a Live CD. Then I booted from the CD.

I ran the Install program from the CD

During the install, I took the 'custom partition' option and created a new EXT4 partition using the free space.

Then I installed Ubuntu 10.04 Linux in the free space.

When I rebooted, both Ubuntu and Windows 7 showed up in the Grub boot menu.

I tested it and both Windows 7 and Ubuntu booted just fine from the boot menu. Then I did several boot speed tests, timing from the Grub menu to the login screen. Here are the results:

Windows 7 Starter - 42 seconds
Ubuntu 10.04 Linux - 13 seconds

My test results show that Ubuntu 10.04 Linux boots 3 times faster than Windows 7 Starter on EXACTLY the same hardware.

I also tried Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix and had the same results. I never did like the Netbook Remix versions of Linux though. I'm sticking with the Desktop version of Ubuntu 10.04. The final release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be released this week. Check it out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus Netbooks and Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus Netbooks and Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's easy to answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

Look at the consumers. Most can't use linux. Many can't set up the wifi, email and such in Linux so back to Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Asus Netbooks and Linux
by Conroysimon / May 10, 2010 11:25 PM PDT

Linux is a complicated OS.and
It's not a user friendly OS.

Collapse -
Say it ain't so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 12:04 AM PDT

What I should have written is that setup on one OS finds support while on the other finds variations to a fault. Not that I can't use one or the other but one may have wifi setups I've never seen before.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!