Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Asus Netbook Won't Boot 0xc000000f

by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 9, 2011 11:06 PM PST

Asus Aspire One Windows 7 Starter.
Hi all,
my grandaughter (9) brought her netbook to me because it wouldn't boot. The message was,
Windows failed to start etc insert discs etc there are none, status 0xc000000f.
The boot selection failed because a required device is not accessible.
So I tried the repair my computer option no go.
Can't F8 into any mode so I hit Alt+F10 at boot and got to recovery console.
This failed at 44% with an error code 0x45d.
(winapplyimage cannot apply image)

Now back to the status 0xc000000f code.
I have checked boot order ok. Linux won't run just a quick flash on the screen.

I am not a newbie but not a tech, so any ideas? Mbr corrupt? Failing disc? Missing file?
TIA for any help.

Dafydd has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus Netbook Won't Boot 0xc000000f
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus Netbook Won't Boot 0xc000000f
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
DId you mean Acer Aspire One
by TWB404 / December 10, 2011 1:23 AM PST

When I do a search on Aspire One all I find are ones made by Acer. Wiki has a page dedicated to it but there are so many different models it would help if you could lets us know which one you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_one

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Dafydd

Collapse -
Boot issues
by pgc3 / December 10, 2011 1:06 AM PST

Look into making a Linux boot disk (using a thumb drive) from what you have said it sounds as if the OS may have been compromised and needs to be reinstalled. Since netbooks don't have a drive you would have to use either an external drive or thumb drive to do installations. Take a look at procedures for using the Linux boot process, this is something that might work, you may wind up having to contact the manufacturer to get their version of the OS to do a reinstall. I am not familiar with how ASUS sets their systems up and how proprietary they might be.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Boot issues

Sorry about the title it is an Acer. I have put Linux on a thumbdrive changed the boot order to usb drive but all I get is a quick flash of Syslinux and then a blinking cursor top left.

Collapse -
Sounds bad
by TWB404 / December 10, 2011 2:19 AM PST

At this point I think your looking at a hardware failure of some sort. If you can get into the BIOS to change the boot order but can not boot from the thumb drive makes me think it has turned into a brick. If we had the model number maybe we could look up more on it.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds bad

I think it's an Acer Aspire One Happy. The label underneath is rubbed and I can't see the model number.
Like you, I don't hold out much hope. I could get a disk image from Acer quite cheap but no point if it's shot.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 5:16 AM PST

Ait + F10 at boot got me to the recovery console again where it went to 62% this time. error code 0x45d
WIMApplyImage cannot apply image. the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Any clues?

Collapse -
I think it is a brick
by TWB404 / December 10, 2011 6:30 AM PST

Two clues. First one is that it fails during the restore, second is that it will not run Linux from a thumb drive. We use Linux Live CD to determine bad hard drives and to try to recover data. The fact that Linux will not run points to a hard failure in memory, CPU and or video. Then again, as I use to tell other techs, I have it narrowed down to a blown fuse or something else. lol I do not which Linux program you tried but you can use the link below to try another if you wish.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

The universal USB installer will allow you to run a Linux live CD or diagnostic software from a thumb drive.. It only allows one program to be loaded at a time on the thumb drive. I prefer YUMI because I can load multiple Linux programs and boot to the one I need. Each has a list of the programs you can load on the thumb drive.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: I think it is a brick

Here's the thing. Every time I use the restore console it goes higher. I just had the restore to 100%
and updating system went to 99% and hung.

Collapse -
That's thing about S.M.A.R.T. drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 7:09 AM PST

As the drive gets used, it may be fixing it self (not really). HOW? Today's drives have spare sectors and possible tracks. I don't want to write about this in depth but reading all the above, KEEP TRYING and IT SOUNDS LIKE A BUM DRIVE.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 7:30 AM PST

Thank you Bob, you were spot on it just died. I would like to thank everybody for thier help and wish you all happy holidays.

Collapse -
Don't toss it yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 7:37 AM PST
Collapse -
You never mention the Linux distro ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 10, 2011 1:03 PM PST

you have tried.

Because netbook processors and other components tend to differ considerably from a standard AMD or Intel PC you should look around for a Linuz distro OPTIMIZED for the Acer Aspire One.

You might try eeebuntu - http://www.getaurora.com/release/eeebuntu
Ubuntu for netbooks - http://www.ubunut.com/netbook
Ping-Eee OS - http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/07/ping-eee-os-in-acer-aspire-one-netbook.html
or
Mint 11 works with live persistent usb but runs slow.

Mint 9 runs flawlessly from live persistent usb.

Puppy Linux runs great from live persistent usb.

Pinguy Mini runs well from live boot usb.

Fuduntu runs great from live boot usb.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 1:29 AM PST

Hi Bob and Edward,
I have used Linux but don't really understand Distro. I have not looked at your links yet, this being Sunday and that involves a pint at lunchtime here (U.K.)
I will research Distro and study your links in order to gain more insight into this. I would like to thank you for your valuable input and will get back to you when I have a little more knowledge.
Regards.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Won't Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 2:10 AM PST

Hi Bob and Edward,
I get where you're coming from on this having read your links. Bob you say junk the drive and run it off usb
with Linux. Edward, you gave me some great links regarding Linux. I was worried because my grandaughter needs Open Office for school, but I researched that and it's fine. I see no problem with this, but some people just can't get away from Windows.
I put Linux on my stepdaughters laptop but she didn't like it and paid good money for a new drive and a reinstall of Windows. this has been great advice and I thank you very much. I will press on with this and keep you posted.
Regards.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Wont Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 2:48 AM PST

Hi Guys,
I tried all suggestions but Linux wont load. I get a brief flash and then the screen goes black with a flashing cursor top left.

Collapse -
I can't tell from here what's up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 3:04 AM PST

If this was here I know to unplug the failed drive and then to try one of my working USB live sticks or from my USB DVDRW and a LIVE CD/DVD.

But the story and picture is dim here.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer Net Book Wont Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 3:55 AM PST

Hi Bob,
I haven't tried running Linux with the hard drive unplugged. Would this make a difference?
I have a working live usb stick. Thanks for your patience.

Collapse -
It has so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 3:56 AM PST

Best of luck! (which just increased)

Collapse -
acer Netbook Wont Boot.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 13, 2011 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: It has so far.

That did the trick Bob, thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Nice save!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2011 2:13 AM PST

In parting some find some sticks are faster than others. Of course a new HDD could fix it too?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.