General discussion

Asus N71Jq vs. HP dv8t Quad for a college student!

Hey guys,

I'm torn between two laptops for college, and I thought maybe I'd turn here for some help.

First, let me introduce the idea a little. No matter what with the laptop, I intend on getting the LoJack Anti-theft service and a TV tuner. On the HP, these come bundled, but these would be bought separately with the ASUS.

Here's the first laptop:

Asus N71Jq-A1

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=213725109
http://amzn.to/cx8NvP

(both same laptop, buy.com is slightly cheaper, amazon has the better description though)

Pro: Larger HDD (640G vs 500G), Blu-Ray, Good brand
Con: Smaller Screen (17.3" vs 18.4"), More expensive (~$1497.98 after LoJack and TV Tuner), 6 Cell battery

And here's the second HP laptop I customized:

http://bit.ly/c04lO0

Pro: Larger Screen, cheaper, built-in TV Tuner, 8 Cell battery, discounted LoJack
Con: I have been hearing HP computers are not as well-built as they used to be.

I'm not too good with the graphics card comparison, is the ATI 5470 (ASUS) comparable to Nvidia GeForce 230M (HP)?

Long story short, they're both pretty close, but the real deciding factor will probably be: Which company is to be more trusted, ASUS or HP? I've bought HP before, and I've personally never had an issue. However, I've been hearing that their hardware is more likely to fail within a 3-year span. ASUS, on the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about. Any suggestions out there?

Also, I was considering getting an additional warranty from SquareTrade on the ASUS or extended HP warranty. Both would cost me about $300 (for plans including accidental damage, important for college) for 3 years. If anyone has any experience with either SquareTrade or HP warranties & service, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Asus N71Jq vs. HP dv8t Quad for a college student!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Asus N71Jq vs. HP dv8t Quad for a college student!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's not a laptop.

We have the i7 based dv7 and the same applies to the dv8t. That unit would fail if one would put it in a backpack and carry it all around daily. It is a desktop replacement to be put on a desk and replace a desktop.

Many can't wrap their head around this and then complain the laptop doesn't last very long.

The Asus is slightly better but you are still looking at a big laptop that is not suitable for average college student use patterns.

If you go with such big laptops with no battery time worth writing about and 300 cycle batteries which means dead batteries if the owner uses it as a portable then what to write if the owner doesn't figure it out?
Bob

- Collapse -
Smaller is better?

So you're saying I should get a 15" instead? I liked the bigger ones because the keyboard is nicer, but if I'm going to have more issues, I guess I can live without it.

Considering HP and ASUS also offer similar laptops in a smaller format, which brand would you recommend more? ASUS is slightly more expensive (and comes with USB 3.0). I just don't want a laptop that is going to start having issues in 2-3 years.

- Collapse -
2 or 3 years.

Look at the battery cycle rating. It is 300 in most cases. Students that didn't know this use the battery and in 18 months or maybe into 2 years they find there are problems. Many don't know and act surprised when you want to replace the (expensive?) battery. They want to swap a shop battery in which we used to do until a sad incident.

Ok there are no 4 year laptops. Look around and you see the first 2 or 3 years are often fine with troubles in 3 or 4 years.

Why is that? Simple usage and near daily transport take their toll. If laptops and other gear just sat on a desk then you get much longer life spans.

Yes, look at the top of this forum for laptop choosers and think about batteries cycles and 4 year warranties.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info