Resolved Question

ASUS N705 Laptop 6bit?

Hello!
I have bought an ASUS N705 laptop that was suggested to me on this website. It looks good, altought I am before a SYPDER5 pro calibration process so the colors are not "fixed" yet. However if I go to the Monitor Settings and Special Display Settings, it gives me an information that the Color Depth of my screen is only 6bit instead of 8bit. Is that normal?

Discussion is locked

Ryuuzaki88 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer
Follow
Reply to: ASUS N705 Laptop 6bit?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ASUS N705 Laptop 6bit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Sounds right.
- Collapse -
I see

I was a bit confused because this laptop's screen is quite darker than my previous one's, or my second monitor connected to it. (It got eye-care though so probably that is why) I'll see how it looks after telling Spyder 5 to calibrate it using the second monitor as reference Silly

- Collapse -
We have an Asus Vivo 17 inch here.

17 inch and its brightness does drop when the eye care evening mode is on. I think that's correct behavior since few laptops adjust brightness as the room gets brighter or darker. Some smart phones have a dynamic brightness (mine does) and that helps combat a screen from getting too bright or too dim. Not perfect but it really helps.

All that said, with the eye care off it seems nice, bright and colors seem fine. I bet with eye care on it won't calibrate.

- Collapse -
Eye care, Splendid..

Yeah...I am looking around in this topic and have no idea how to turn eye care off. I see there is a software called "Splendid" for Asus which contains an option to change eye-care, but when I download it and try to install, I get an error saying "Could not find ICM file". My laptop should support this,as when I go to it's page it says it contains "Splendid technology..."

- Collapse -
It may be a while

Till I get on that Asus to look around but here the machine arrived with it preinstalled and working.

There are many that tell me they went to download a thing but got it from the wrong model page.

Also if we install color calibration software we may break Splendid or such as a new color management system is now installed. This has led to to some folk getting upset. It's like our Antivirus. We install just one.

- Collapse -
Preinstalls, but no Splendid, no other Eyecare option...

I have received this laptop with windows 10 preinstalled it but no such software as Splendid can be found, nor any option to turn off or modify any eyecare kind of thing. The laptop has a sticker that says "Eye Care 30% blue light reduction" but that is all. Splendid might not goes with this model because one version I downloaded had a directory full of ICM profiles for all kinds of models, but not for mine. If that is the case I have no idea how to manage Eyecare if even possible. Therefore, installing Spyder 5 Pro will leave it as the one and only color management system to work, so it should be good. I'll see but calibrating the screen is only good if it is done in pitch black which I can only do if I have time to stay awake for the night which will only be on the weekend...

- Collapse -
We have another model.
- Collapse -
Performs nice, just dark..

compared to the BenQ monitor I have a calibrated ICM profile with, for sure. And I do not know if it is dark because of Eyecare, or just otherwise. Still finding no such option to turn off Eyecare, anywhere...

I know for a fact it is too dark though, as when I compare photoes, opening them on the laptop's screen and also on the BenQ monitor's screen, details are lost in dark areas on the laptop's screen, that can be easily seen on the monitor's. I think this will be solved by calibration, though which fixes the contrast.

Post was last edited on June 26, 2019 7:32 AM PDT

- Collapse -
Lower quality?

I am trying to calibrate the laptop now, and the customer support of Datacolor seems to disagree on the quality being the same if the output is 6bit:

"your laptop's color/image/video quality is much lower than normal standard displays. 6bit color depth means that you can see 64 different shades only. The video cards mostly, flicker color that is normally between of two of your bigger color steps"

Does it mean than, that the laptop's quality is after all lower? Because I am not sure it was worth the purchase than :S

- Collapse -
Remember there are purists.

That won't accept dithering. 6 bit would be 64 shades of say the three primary colors but then you have to dismiss dithering. Which I don't and the display would be unacceptable to EVERYONE if it didn't dither.

- Collapse -
Not sure I get that...

I get that the dithering makes it display all the colors, but is that something that makes it so that my laptop's "color/image/video quality is much lower than normal standard displays"? I do not really see it like lower in quality but if that is the reason I cannot calibrate it's colors close to the other display's, and that it is much darker, that's bad news :S

- Collapse -
In your case

This model is unacceptable and the maker has not addressed a concern (eyecare?) You will have to return it and try again.

This time use Notebookcheck to check out the nits (brightness) of this and your next laptop to see if it can meet your goals.

-> Back to me. I've had 6 bit displays and can't see the issue. They seem bright enough to me but I don't have your exact model to check. My wife's Vivobook is however stunning for the bucks and bright enough to be used in a bright room without complaints about too dim.

- Collapse -
Individual brightness...

is not the problem, just the compare to the second monitor right next to it. Returning and buying a new one would be too much of a pain for now, and there might still be solutions to make it look better. As long as I have my second monitor, I have a preference to how things would look like. A little bit annoying, that there is another detail I only now learned to consider while buying laptops, I did not know there are some with this kind of a "limit" these days...

- Collapse -
Here's something I've found over the years.

Displays rarely match unless same make and model. The color and brightness gamut differs and outside of an Apple laptop and Apple cinema displays I never found displays to match except where we had a desktop and two or more of the same displays.

Even here I use the laptop and a monitor and it took time over weeks to arrive as at acceptable match. I think most folk today won't do that work.

- Collapse -
I managed though

to match a Dell laptop with a BenQ gaming monitor. The screens were almost identical, looking at them while they were side-to-side.(Not completely identical, but the brightness was around the same and the colors were like very slightly more towards yellow on the laptop's screen). I did that with Spyder 5, which is unable, seems like, to do the same for this laptop. I'll try again this weekend though...

- Collapse -
I used old school here.

While I use a color calibration system at the office here at home I eyeballed it and tinkered with the settings and eventually it was close enough.

- Collapse -
Cannot get that right...

Never can that right myself with the eye, the software/tool does it much better as I can... So I guess this is as close as I can get unless I can do something about the brightness difference. I'll try...

- Collapse -
Actually...

Fiddling with Windows 10-s built in calibration by the color profile menus, I have found out something strange. Raising the Gamma of the laptop's screen makes it's picture look much more like the second monitor's(also looks correct by the preference images it provides, if I raise the gamma it does what it tells me it should to fix the picture- like, no inner spot must be seen inside the big spot thing, you should have seen that if you tried to calibrate your monitors yourself). So the laptop's problem is not the low brightness but low gamma? Do you know how could that be?
The only problem now is that when I calibrate with Windows Calibration, it automatically turns the ICC profile back to the Laptop's original from my calibrated one, and so I can only raise the gamma to that, and lose the Sypder 5 calibration. Do you know a way I could apply windows calibration upon the Spyder 5 created ICC profile?

- Collapse -
As to the last question, no.

I don't tinker that deeply in ICC profiles. While I have some decade plus work in this area my routine is to use the calibration tools and if they don't get there go old school manual until I either get there, close enough or that other issue I covered above where you don't have same make/model/technology displays.

- Collapse -
All right...

I'll try figuring out if there is, but the results I have are already satisfying in terms of having very similar level of brightness and similar colors on the two screens.

- Collapse -
Any place..

You could point me to, to ask about this though? Another forum, or something?

- Collapse -
I crafted a google for that.

CNET Forums

Forum Info