HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

Question

Asus Motherboard M5A99X EVO won't boot. No signal on monitor

by KR0G / June 20, 2012 5:04 AM PDT

I just finished building my pc and everything works; power switch, fans, LEDs, you name it. I connected the monitor to the graphics card using HDMI to DVI respectively, and I get no signal on the monitor. The CPU LED is also constantly on red. I'm 100% certain the CPU is put in right. It is an AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz. Is the BIOS on the motherboard compatible with the cpu? Do I need a new motherboard? The motherboard and cpu are both socket AM3+.

I'm also using an SSD, which I know is working because of the LED inside.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus Motherboard M5A99X EVO won't boot. No signal on monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus Motherboard M5A99X EVO won't boot. No signal on monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by KR0G / June 20, 2012 5:06 AM PDT

I tried it on a different monitor as well, using DVI to DVI.

Collapse -
Answer
No SSD needed for video display.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 5:23 AM PDT

I can't tell but it sounds like you put it all together rather than using the bare minimum parts to get a beep or a display.

Start smaller. If no display, remove parts to get just a beep. LED's mean nothing. You learn this after a few rounds.

Collapse -
What I have...
by KR0G / June 20, 2012 1:04 PM PDT

I have the motherboard, processors, power supply, memory, ssd, optical drive, and graphics card installed in the case. What should I remove?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: What I have...

But I guess it was unclear. We start as small as possible. All I need is 4 parts to get a beep. PSU, CPU+HSF and the Speaker. No beeps and I'm looking at the bad or badly configured parts.
Bob

Collapse -
by KR0G / June 21, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

And what does the beep signify?

Collapse -
That the CPU ran a little code from the BIOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

It's a shame you didn't reveal the test result. If we move this slowly I may have to write to take it to a shop. Love to help you along, but let's move a little faster.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.