Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Asus laptop suddenly won't turn on

by Arem24 / August 4, 2014 7:48 AM PDT

Attempted to boot up my Asus laptop this afternoon and it just stays a black screen.

Three lights in the front are green when it is plugged in, one is a lightbulb, another is a battery, and the last looks like a circular trash can.

Nothing is making any noise so I don't think the hard drive is engaging.

The laptop sits on a desk so it's not as though it could have fallen for the screen to break.

Anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I've done a bit of troubleshooting, unplugged it etc. but I'm a little lost.

Thank you.

Arem24 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus laptop suddenly won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus laptop suddenly won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
ASUS X553m
by Dannis072 / July 24, 2016 10:36 AM PDT

Help Please
My ASUS X553 does not boot. Both LEDs, green and red doesn't switch on. There is no sound at all , furn or harddrive.

Collapse -
If the usual is not working
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2016 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: ASUS X553m

(see what's in this thread) then it's really gone.

Good to see you found this post.

Collapse -
Same problem
by mannapinto / September 7, 2016 7:40 PM PDT

Hi my laptop is asus x200m about 2-3yrs old. It suddenly wont start up even if i press the power button but displays the green light on. I cannot do the usual fix because my battery cant be removed. (Integrated battery) what to do? Pls help thanks.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
asus Laptop power on problem
by Usman870 / September 29, 2016 11:29 AM PDT

Hello,
I have the same problem when I push the power button the yellow light blink and again disappear and nothing happen more I try three time but it doesn't work.
Can you please give me another tip what should i do?

Collapse -
Try what was noted in this thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2016 11:40 AM PDT

If that doesn't play out I see other ideas, including getting repair estimates.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Arem24

Collapse -
Keep unplugging.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2014 7:51 AM PDT

One of the lesser known resets is to unplug, remove the battery and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Release and apply power (forget the battery for a moment.)

I don't see model number or age so I can't check into other posts about your model or if it has a CMOS battery.
Bob

Post was last edited on December 30, 2015 7:23 AM PST

Collapse -
Thanks
by Arem24 / August 4, 2014 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep unplugging.

Thanks, I tried that to remove any residual charge for about 30 seconds but no luck. I'll try again later tonight.

Collapse -
That's not about residual charge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2014 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Also, can you supply the age and full model number so I can see what we are looking at?

There's another battery in some of these.
Bob

Collapse -
Sure
by Arem24 / August 4, 2014 8:09 AM PDT

Sure, I'll be home in about an hour and I'll check it out then and get back to you. Thanks.

Collapse -
Black screen, no power
by Rocks4Lunch / March 14, 2015 2:45 AM PDT

This worked! Removed the battery, unplugged the laptop and waited about a minute. The laptop powered up normally without re-installing the battery. Thanks for info!! My wife is back on Facebook and I can watch basketball lol.

Collapse -
Score.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2015 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Black screen, no power

Thanks for the report. It's one of those trick shots that "once you know."
Bob

Collapse -
Can I put my battery back in now?
by mj1957 / November 15, 2015 1:29 PM PST

Hi, this worked for me, as I had the same problem. My question now, is can I put my battery back in?

Collapse -
Asus K55VM wont start
by SkAasif / March 1, 2016 12:46 AM PST

Hi, I have same issue with my Asus K55VM laptop. I tried the solution you suggested but didnt work. Highly appreciate any other suggestion you have!

When I plug the laptop on charging, I see the charging indicator near keyboard.
Waiting for reply!
Thanks

Collapse -
Whats the cause?
by BellaRoad / September 14, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

This technique seemed to work but anytime I power my laptop completely off I need to perform these steps again. It just seemed to get a little more tricky each time and now it simply will not power on correctly. Blank screen. I even left it unplugged oven night. I also tried different RAM and hard drive. Nothing I do will let me get it running again. Do we know whats causing the issue, it seems to be a normal problem for these ASUS. I have the Q400A i7-3632QM. I can disassemble it to the motherboard if I need to, I just do not want to have to pay someone to do something if I can take care of it. It just seems like this thread is old enough that maybe we figured out a real solution to the problem. Thanks

Collapse -
Asus Laptop Won't Turn On
by Uther8_07 / October 9, 2016 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Whats the cause?

I bought my Asus X750JN laptop new in 2014, and it never worked right from Day 1, but I thought I could live with it. 17.3", core i7-4700HQ quad + nVidia 840M. Constant power on and wake from sleep issues. Won't power on, about 75% of the time. The worst thing is, it has an internal battery, and it's a royal pain to take this $900 POS apart - very tedious, involved process. It literally was getting to the point that every time I had to turn the thing on (or wake it), I'd have to take it completely apart down to the motherboard, to remove and re-install the battery, along with re-seating (or swapping) the RAM sticks in their slots, and removing/re-seating the CMOS battery, just to get the damn thing to turn on. I've almost thrown the whole thing in the trash, several times.

Almost no support from Asus, even when it was in warranty. When I'd call for support, I always got the same rude run-around / blow-off. And when I'd post to Asus support forums (or to review the product, like on Amazon), Asus' little minions would cut/paste the same boilerplate response: "We're sorry you had such a bad experience...did you try unplugging it and removing the battery (can't remove it, unless you take the damn thing apart, which I mentioned over and over again)...." "...hold down the power button for 30 seconds.... (blah, blah, blah)..." Every customer gets the same pointless, useless treatment.

I have concluded that Asus does not know how to design a battery charging / power circuit to save their life. Even with this horrendous design defect across multiple product lines, they let 'em ship out the door. Unbelievable.

My final solution was to leave the battery out completely and run the POS on an APC UPS (600VA) ...which is fine, because I've now consigned this miserable Asus POS to running the World Community Grid client 24/7/365...which it now does just fine, no thanks to Asus. I've adjusted the Power Plan in Windows 10 so the CPU is always around 47°C - 53°, with rare spikes to 60°C.

I will never again buy any Asus products.

Collapse -
So BOINC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2016 6:46 AM PDT

Frankly laptops are a poor choice for server work. Yes they do in a pinch but you are learning first hand why we don't do this.

As fallout you've developed a bad taste for this maker but if you repeat the same setup with other make laptops I fear you'll repeat, die and repeat.

Not sure how many will learn that for servers we deploy on server capable machines. There are toughbooks but why would I do that?

Collapse -
Yeah..."So BOINC?"
by Uther8_07 / October 9, 2016 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: So BOINC?

I didn't start running the World Community Grid (BOINC) on this Asus POS before this nightmare power problem reared its ugly head.....only afterwards, once I stabilized the POS (by leaving the battery out) and putting it on UPS. It's been running for 3 months solid, 24/7 without incident (again, no thanks to Asus). I have the CPU locked at 2.2 GHz max, via Windows 10 x64 Power Plan. Turbo Boost to 3.4 GHz (1 core) is disabled.

According to intel ARK, the i7-4700HQ's Tj(max) is 100° C. Running it 24/7/365 with rare spikes to 60°C should be fine. I blow out any dust at least twice a month, (and get the crud off the CPU fan blades). Only real concern is risking solder points melting. No way will I attempt to re-flow the board. I'll just chuck the whole thing. At this point, I really don't care.

Asus laptops and customer support still suck.

Collapse -
That's how most learn about this area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2016 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah..."So BOINC?"

Batteries are short lived here still. If I use the battery daily, I can see it fail in just a year and there's nothing wrong with that. It's only rated to 300 cycles.

Here's the thing. A consumer often doesn't want to know about this. They'll call it *rap and flame on and out. After they lose the 2nd or later PC then they wise up. Expensive way to learn.

Collapse -
That's how most learn about this area (etc.)
by Uther8_07 / October 9, 2016 10:43 AM PDT

You're preaching to the choir, cupcake.

Collapse -
Answer
Forgot the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2014 9:31 AM PDT

KEEP UNPLUGGING. This sounds like the power adapter is unplugged at the wall. Then the battery runs down and this happens. Go ahead and unplug it all and see if there is power at the mains (wall socket.) Try the full reset again.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried
by Arem24 / August 5, 2014 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot the usual.

I've tried it like 3-4 times, I left the laptop unplugged overnight with the battery out and will retry the power depletion method again later today.

Collapse -
Unfortunately
by Arem24 / August 5, 2014 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot the usual.

Unfortunately I attempted twice again this morning and it still didn't work.

Collapse -
One more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately

I hinted the model number and age would let me look around at the machine a little without being there but that was not to be found here.

Time for a shop or just another laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Asus K42 Laptop with black screen, No HDD, No BIOS screen
by Dhanushka_Liyanage / September 14, 2015 1:48 PM PDT

Hi Guys,

I know that original post is very old. But I believe there can be so many people around facing difficulties with same issue.

I had similar problem with Asus K43Jr model. There was only black screen after power on. HDD worked only for few seconds and HDD LED went off. Power LED stays on and fan spun at full speed. No BIOS or Asus logo at least.

My suspicion was about gpu. Because I checked by disconnecting LCD connector and connected external monitor, It didn't work. And also CPU fan worked endlessly giving a hint that motherboard was working.

1. I dismantled the laptop completely and separated motherboard from other components.
2. Removed heat sink and fan assembly.
3. Removed processor.
4. Located GPU (ATI mobility Radeon chip)
5. Isolated this chip by covering other electronic components by using alufoil with capton tapes.
6. Heated GPU using hot air gun by monitoring the temperature.
7. Needed to heat it up to 220deg celcius and maintain it for 1-2min. (Read temp profile for chip for more accurate info)
8. Left it cool down upto room temp.
9. Assembled back all laptop again.

Power up...And got everything running again.... GrinGrinGrinGrin

Hope this help someone who need some info.

Collapse -
Answer
Asus laptop has power but won't open
by wtfgolfing / December 30, 2015 4:36 AM PST

We had similar problem with our 3 year old Asus laptop upgraded from Windows to Windows 10. We were having speed and other issues with it so had taken it to a computer repair shop but they said they couldn't get it working properly and figured the motherboard was bad. As a last ditch effort I did a Windows 10 reset as per following link: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013063/. I chose the option that retained Windows 10 and retained our files. A restore to factory condition would have put us back to Windows 8 which we really didn't want. At least an hour into the reloading and reconfiguration everything stalled and all I had was a backlit blank screen. I tried various ways to get it going again, including turning off and back on several times but to no avail. Finally, in desperation, I again turned on the power but immediately began pressing the F8 key in 1 second intervals and, lo and behold, the Asus icon showed up and reconfiguration resumed and the computer became operable again. The computer is now working much faster and better than it has for a long time.
I hope this is of some help to someone.

Collapse -
Asus K55VM
by LIZBIT_PT / April 19, 2016 1:38 PM PDT

HI.
This Model Asus K55VM have tis problem, have thousands of complains over internet about this model. But, in our service we have repair dozens, this is a hardware fault, doue the origen of fault I think this is a bad motherboard manufacturer. Is defect with solder joints, but not on a BGA chip, this is bad for Asus... but they won't assume this.

Collapse -
Answer
ASUS A43S LAPTOP WONT BOOT WITHOUT BATTERY
by FLAMISH EL / June 2, 2016 5:46 PM PDT

I just replace my laptop with new motherboard 2 weeks ago.,and it seem the problem is happening again.

When i turn on the laptop (with only plugged with AC adapter), nothings happen even there's no indicator lights on. But when i attach the battery (without attach to AC adapter), the laptop is turn on normally. Then i tried plug the power adapter back to the laptop, it seem that it doesn't charge the battery. Most weirdly, i pull out the battery (still plugged to the AC adapter), the laptop is running fine.

Really waiting for reply! Thx.

Collapse -
For best replies do not bury questions in old posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2016 6:06 PM PDT

Removing or putting in a battery while the AC is connected can damage boards. I'd take to the repair center what they want to try next.

Collapse -
ASUS A43S LAPTOP WONT BOOT WITHOUT BATTERY - Design Defect
by Uther8_07 / October 10, 2016 7:47 AM PDT

I realize this is a very late reply to your post...

Nevertheless -

With these obvious Asus design defects in the power / charging circuit of their laptops, the *ONLY* way to reliably run these POS laptops is to *remove the battery and leave it out*. Which kind of defeats the mobility-focus of the laptop, but oh well.

Asus couldn't care less. Just sell the cr*p, and leave their customers twisting in the wind.

I've never seen anything like it. Bunch of Pacific rim bandits... Asus is a huge scam... a clearing house for poor design, and cheap, defective Asian chips & ASICS, all soldered and clumped together, then sold as "finished products".

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop
by Ladygigi46 / August 3, 2016 6:25 AM PDT

My laptop came on the shut off. And now it will not come back on the lights do not light up

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?