PC Hardware forum

Question

ASUS HD7970 DurectCUII problem

by abzorbal / January 6, 2014 4:20 AM PST

Hey guys,

I just bought the ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII, but i can't get it to work...
I have a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Power Supply, with only one 8pin - 8pin PCI express power cable.
I bought 2x 8pin male to male cables on ebay, which theoretically should work, but they don't.
I've tried everything, but only the original cable that i got with the Power Supply lights up in green, the cable i bought from ebay lights up in red, i noticed that on one side of the original cable, there are 2 of the small cables connected to one pin. So i've tried to do the same thing with the new cables i bought (risky), and it didn't work.
I'm totally out of ideas right now.
I asked in every computer store in the area nearby and nobody has a cable like this.
I thought to buy a new power supply, but im not sure which one would be the best for this video card.

more specs:
Motherboard: Sabertooth x79
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB DDR3 RAM
Power: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS HD7970 DurectCUII problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS HD7970 DurectCUII problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: cables
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 4:23 AM PST

If it doesn't come with all necessary cables (that's what I read in your post), and the shop where you bought doesn't sell the additional material needed, why not return it and buy something that is complete?

Kees

Collapse -
cables
by abzorbal / January 6, 2014 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re: cables

I bought the Power Supply some time ago, in a different country, so i can't really return it right now. I guess my best bet would be to buy a new power supply, i just don't know which one would be the best for this card.

Collapse -
Answer
Link to...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Link
by abzorbal / January 6, 2014 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Link to...
Collapse -
I can't answer. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Link

I looked for exact specs on the power supply ports and came up empty. This doesn't mean they are wrong, it only means I can't check their work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Power cable
by Bob__B / January 7, 2014 12:28 AM PST
Collapse -
No cables
by abzorbal / January 7, 2014 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: Power cable

I had no cables in the Video Card box.

Collapse -
Oops!
by Bob__B / January 7, 2014 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: No cables

Just noticed.
Your psu has 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin outputs.
So even if you had the y cable it would not do you any good.

Options.
Try the adapter from Pcpc.
Iffy....since the 6 pin ...now converted to 8 pin... and the 8 pin and sata are all connected to rail 2.

Get a psu with the proper output ports.

Collapse -
Is this your PSU ?
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2014 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: No cables
Collapse -
PSU
by abzorbal / January 8, 2014 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: Is this your PSU ?

I'm just gonna buy a new PSU...

What would be the best replacement?
Will there be a difference in the size?
The one i have now is 86x150x160mm, just want to make sure it's gonna fit my housing.

Collapse -
Here's one you could consider....
by VAPCMD / January 10, 2014 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: PSU
Collapse -
by abzorbal / January 10, 2014 3:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Ok....should be good. Let us know how it works out.
by VAPCMD / January 10, 2014 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: ...

It should give you the power you need with some reserve, enough efficiency to avoid wasting electricity and direct wiring vs modular to minimize potential connection problems. I used to recommend Corsair PSUs without reservation or hesitation but over the last few years their QC seems to have fallen with DOAs, early failures, support issues, rebate issues, etc., etc., reported by users. Perhaps their new "RM" series will have fewer out-of-the box and early failures. I've got several Corsair PSUs including an early TX850W that's served me faithfully for years and I don't see PSU as items where user error is a major contributor to their failure.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?