Question

Asus G771JW VS MSI GE72-2QE ?

I want to buy a gaming notebook and I end up choosing between these two so I would like to know your opinion about them Happy thanks

These are the specs of each one :

ASUS G771JW-T7061H

Intel Core i7 4720HQ Haswell
17.3 "LED 1920x1080 WV
RAM 12GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960mm 4GB
SSD 128GB + HDD 1000GB 7200
Blu-Ray
WiFi ac
Bluetooth 4.0
3D FHD webcam
USB 3.0
HDMI
mini DisplayPort
Widia
Leap Motion
Windows 8.1 64-bit

MSI GE72 2QE-248CZ Apache Pro

Intel Core i7 5700HQ Broadwell
17.3" LED 1920x1080 PLS
RAM 8GB DDR3L
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5
M.2 SSD 128GB + HDD 1TB 7200
DVD/RW
WiFi 802.11 ac
Killer LAN
Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI
mini DisplayPort
USB 3.0
webcam
Dynaudio speakers + subwoofer
keyboard SteelSeries
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Asus G771JW VS MSI GE72-2QE ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Asus G771JW VS MSI GE72-2QE ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: comparison

Your post will become clearer if you:
a) remove the things that are the same in these 2 laptops (like HDMI and WiFi and SSD/HDD) and move it to a "Both laptops have the same" section.
b) either remove or add the things that in these lists are unique for one. For example, it now seems the first one has no speakers at all.
c) make clear the difference between these models. For example: what is a SteelSeries keyboard and why is it better (or worse) than the unnamed keyboard of the Asus?

Finally, tell what you find important in your future laptop. For example, is a 3D webcam important for you, or would you be nearly as happy with a 2D one?

Kees

- Collapse -
comparison

Thank you,
I appreciate your help with he post.
It was really helpfull I will take it to account.

Things I really find important are good performence for games, mobility, cooling, noice and all other things that are expected from gaming laptops. And I do not mind if the camera is 3D or 2D.

- Collapse -
Answer
If I were to bet

This is about gaming. You know it's not a CPU issue at this point I'll start with how I compare notebook GPUs. I google this.

Notebookcheck 960m
Notebookcheck 965m

Now I can see if that matters. The CPU is driving a single GPU so it won't matter for gaming as we read:
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

In parting neither would be a good choice for students. You find students lament 17 models the next year.

- Collapse -
Games, mobility.

You can see if the 960/965 matters with the search I supplied you.

Mobility? Students lament 17 inch models for mobility. I can't guess your situation but for now, 17 inch models are for desktop replacements. As to cooling, you always add a laptop cooling pad, even if a passive one.

CNET Forums