Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

Asus Essentio CG5290-BP007 corretion

by satrain18 / August 5, 2009 2:29 AM PDT

To the CNET editors:

"Even though Asus has taken a lean-and-mean approach to gaming performance, it doesn't quite provide the larger picture upgrade path of the Dell system, which is already fairly limited. Neither desktop is SLI or Crossfire capable, so adding a second graphics card it out."

This is not true. The Essentio CG5290-BP007 uses the ASUS Rampage II GENE Republic of Gamers motherboard (http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/asus-rampage-ii-gene/4507-3049_7-33542739.html?tag=mncol;psum). It has two PCI-E X16 slots with both CrossFireX and SLI support. all you need to do is buy a second video card and a more powerful power supply and you're all set.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Something not told by all makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 2:35 AM PDT

They ofter change the motherboard if a cheaper substitute is found that meets the specs of the published specs. So while the model you have to dissect had that board what keeps them from changing it?

Collapse -
Not entirely true
by satrain18 / August 5, 2009 3:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
addendum
by satrain18 / August 5, 2009 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not entirely true
Collapse -
I did read that link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Not entirely true

And could not find SLI listed as a feature. So what makes them keep SLI or any other feature that would be on the motherboard or such?

That is, would you be upset if they changed boards and keep the specifications but no longer used that board?

Collapse -
SLI/CrossFire On-Demand
by satrain18 / August 5, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I did read that link.

Did you miss the "Pair X58 with SLI? / CrossFireX? in SFF system" or the "SLI/CrossFire On-Demand" part?

Collapse -
I don't see it on the product link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 7:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
DOES HAVE SLI CROSSFIRE
by necrostrife / August 29, 2009 8:44 AM PDT

We sell these at my job, I've cracked the case open, while it doesn't have the best cable management it does have two PCI-E slots with plenty of room for a second card.

It comes with a a nice slim NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 graphics card with green cammo, not sure if its Nvidia or asus, probably the latter.

overall not to bad for the price.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!