General discussion

ASUS Eee PC 1201T questions

Hi,
i just bought a Eee PC 1201T and was wondering a couple of things

1) why does it come without an OS? is their a reason for this? could the drivers be un available for windows? or could Asus be trying to pass more savings on to the coustmer? (another interesting thing is why it doesn't show op on their website)

2) how can you you install windows 7 without an optical drive? i have read some of the articles on how to do this but i have been unsuccessful. i know you must format the USB drive a special way using the command prompt but i am not sure about the rest.

Thanks,
Brian

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ASUS Eee PC 1201T questions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ASUS Eee PC 1201T questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
These are your choices.

To cut costs, the responsibility to make the restore media is up to you. And to cut costs there is no CD/DVD drive. YOU have to decide if you will buy such now or later.

Nothing new here but I'm encountering folk that feel entitled to restore media and DVDRW drives for odd reasons like "it should have come with it."
Bob

- Collapse -
thats not what i was asking

i was asking why the netbook in question didn't come with an operating system. i can make restore media at a later time. my main concern is how to INSTALL the operating system on the netbook without a CD/DVD drive.

- Collapse -
This is a good question.

To install the OS we get a CD/DVD drive and use the restore media.

But many feel this is not the answer. I can't understand why it is not.
Bob

- Collapse -
cant you just

install the operating system from a usb hdd or flash drive?

- Collapse -
Never bothered.

Since we have a working install method why would we change that?

You could try to create a new way then you could share how you did that.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info