General discussion

Asus boot delay

Asus A8V Deluxe mb
Latest BIOS

Am getting a 30 second delay black screen from time IDE check screen exits until xp starts.

I reset the BIOS by pulling power plug, removing battery and resetting jumpers as per book. Still getting same delay.

Machine runs fine after booting.

BTW, there is no such delay if I boot from cd.

Any ideas as to where I should begin?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Asus boot delay
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Asus boot delay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Maybe tthe clue is that CD boot?

Try the CMOS boot order to be the hard disk first.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks Bob. Glad to see you're still helping in the forums. Been awhile since I was here.

I'm beginning to think there may be an incorrect RAID setting, even though I'm not using raid. The VIA raid driver is installed, and I can access RAID through BIOS, but for some reason I can't change any settings.

I'll get back to you if I find whats happening with the RAID controller.

- Collapse -
One other though

Some boards have a delay meant for external devices such as USB drives to spin up so they can be detected. Look for this.

- Collapse -
Thanbks

Hadn't thought of that! I'll give it a look, and if I find anything wrong there, I'll get back to you.

- Collapse -
usb delay

Tried every BIOS setting for usb delay, and none made a difference.

Thanks for the idea.

I'm going to flash back to my original mb shipping BIOS and see if that corrects the problem.

Again, thanks.

- Collapse -
One more place to look

If you are using XP, it's possible you have the delay set there. Look in the advanced section of your startup/recovery options. You can view the boot loader by hitting the "Edit" button. See if it mentions a delay time.

- Collapse -
Delay

Thanks again Steven.

Everything there compares to my other machine, but I changed the settings around, but to no avail. However, your post got me to thinking that maybe some other software is messing with things. I am using "XP Smoker", so I am going to do an uninstall there and see what happens.

Have a good one.
Ken

CNET Forums

Forum Info