Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Asus Bios update HELP!!!!

by hcstreetriding / September 7, 2006 8:16 AM PDT

I built my own pc and used a ASUS P5nd2 SLI mobo. the asus update program that comes with it doesnt work though, big help, and im unsure on how to do the Bios update with the instructions from the ASUS website. I was wandering if anyone could put those instructions in newbish so that i can understand how to do it. Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Asus Bios update HELP!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Asus Bios update HELP!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Asus Bios update
by Bob__B / September 7, 2006 9:43 AM PDT

Unless your really sure you need the new bios....DON'T GO THERE.

I flashed a bios on a device....the device didn't work quite as expected....the maker provided no way to flash back....scrap....I was a little miffed.

Nutshell.
Create a bootable floppy.
D/l and put the flash util on the floppy.
D/l and put the bios file on the floppy.

Boot the floppy.
Run the flash util.
When it ask for the bios file point it at the one on the floppy.

Read and reread and reread all the info at the asus site and any help file that might come with the flash util.....you may only get one shot at this so don't get it wrong.

Collapse -
re
by hcstreetriding / September 8, 2006 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Asus Bios update

Thanx bob b. i dunno if ill try it or not cuz i need my processor to work. so if the flash doesnt work then ill just get a new mobo. any gaming mobos that support pentium D processors that u know of that are good quality?

Collapse -
I second Bob B's reply...
by VAPCMD / September 7, 2006 4:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
re
by hcstreetriding / September 8, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

thanx VAPCMD. i dunno if ill try it or not, i was thinking about just gettin a new mobo anyways so i might try it and if it breaks then ok ill get one and if it works then right on.

Collapse -
Give it a try without the BIOS update....then if you really
by VAPCMD / September 8, 2006 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: re

need it ... then you don't have a choice.

It's not that difficult and I've done many, many times. But once it failed on a friend's PC and that was a pain. Had to order a new BIOS chip from the MB mfg. It was all OK afterwards but it was a painful wait.

If you run into a problem...drop us a note. We'll do our best to walk you through it.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re
by hcstreetriding / September 8, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

thanx bud, ill work on it and post how it goes neways. im going to try it tonight or tmr.

Collapse -
re: worked finebut no improvement
by hcstreetriding / September 12, 2006 9:11 AM PDT

i used the ez flash utility that was built in and it worked fine,despite the incorrect instructions on the web site, however it didnt help my computer and im still left with the same problem because of "chipset limitations" as asus puts it.

Collapse -
Hmmm....you didn't mention 'the problem' before. You'll
by VAPCMD / September 12, 2006 9:17 AM PDT

have to be a lot more specific if you want help.

Exactly what MB, CPU, RAM, video and PSU do you have and 'what's the problem'?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re: the problem
by hcstreetriding / September 12, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

sorry i typed it once and forgot to post it, but i have a p5nd2 sli mobo and an intel pentium D 820 processor and the processor will only run in single core mode. very agrivating. basically what i have been told is that i can only get it to work by getting a new mobo or getting a new processor. i have the money for neither.

Collapse -
Is this your processor ?
by VAPCMD / September 13, 2006 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: re: the problem

Is this your processor ?

* Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80551PG2800FN - Retail

64 bit Support: Yes
FSB: 800MHz
Hyper-Threading Support: No
L1 Cache: 24KB+32KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB
Multi-Core: Dual-Core
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Pentium D
Virtualization Technology Support: No
Vista Ready: Yes
* Model #: BX80551PG2800FN
* Item #: N82E16819116213
* ** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
* [117 Reviews]
* Move To Wish List

If not....run CPUZ and give us the CPU info

What happens if you try this ???
hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up Task Manager you will see a tab that says PERFORMANCE. You should see 2 graphs (one for each core). If this is the case, then your dual cores are enabled within Windows. Keep in mind that *optimal* performance will be yielded from multi-threaded applications.

Collapse -
RE: is this ur processor
by hcstreetriding / September 14, 2006 5:25 AM PDT

that is the exact processor, and when i do control alt delete it shows single core mode only, that was how i knew for sure that it wasnt running right, and also in the POST at start up it should show blahh blahh 2.8 ghz, 2.8ghz. representing the cores but it only shows blahh blahh 2.8ghz. the reason that Asus gives for it not being able to run it is "chipset limitation" however it will run all, ALL, of the other processors in the Pentium D series, just not this one. major bummer. it doesnt say that in the specs either. it only tells you when u actually buy it and then read the fine print in the book. i thought about trying to return it but ended getting caught up in games and not worrying about it. do you think they, ASUS, might refund or replace for a new one, which i could sell, if i called? thanx!!

Collapse -
Given the CPU Section of the MB manual page XI says:
by VAPCMD / September 14, 2006 2:34 PM PDT

"Note: Due to chipset limitation, the Intel Pentium D 820 works only in the single core mode) I don't see where you can blame ASUS .... looks as if you didn't do your homework before buying. You bought some decent components but mismatched the CPU and MB and really missed on the PSU . . . not sure what you were thinking there.

Next time you buy, get your list of parts and post it for comment ... make/mfg/model #. At least you'll get some extra eyes on the parts you plan to buy and maybe avoid the mistakes you made on this one. If you still want dual core .. you could move up to another processor without breaking the bank.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re
by hcstreetriding / September 15, 2006 1:14 PM PDT

how did u find that manual online? i just looked at the website specs, i figure that "supports pentium D processors" meant that it fully supported pentium D processors, not usually, or supports most pentium D processors. o well. but if you would tell me how to find that it would be very helpful so that i can see in the future how much is true and how much is only kinda true. thanx.

Collapse -
Not sure I follow the question...I went to the ASUS website
by VAPCMD / September 16, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

and looked at the MB manual ... specifically the introductory section on the MB features .... CPU.
CPU support link also has info.

Here's the link .. all you ever wanted to know about the product you bought...incl CPU support.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5ND2-SLI

If you're gonna buy this stuff, better get better at finding and reading about it . . . . preferrably before you buy.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re
by hcstreetriding / September 16, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

did you download the manual from the download page? thats the only one i can find with that info.

Collapse -
Yup....just downloaded and read the manual
by VAPCMD / September 16, 2006 8:58 AM PDT

"re
did you download the manual from the download page? thats the only one i can find with that info."

Collapse -
re:
by hcstreetriding / September 16, 2006 12:14 PM PDT

alright thanx. im going to go look at some other mobos... and read the manuals so that i dont screw up nemore. thanx for the help, im going to see if there are some about laptops and leaving them plugged in VS using battery and then recharghing when low. if i cant find something ill make a forum. give me a shout on that one lol. Thanx for the info, and the criticism.

Collapse -
Reply to your last message...
by VAPCMD / September 16, 2006 1:28 PM PDT

THE REAL LESSON IS if you're bulding your own ... you've got to check the DOCs BEFORE you buy or suffer the consequences...$, lost time, headaches and general frustration. Based on my experience it's too easy especially since YOU can see the product OVERVIEW, the SPECIFICATIONs and the MANUAL before you place your order for the product.

Good Luck

VAPCMD

Collapse -
HEY HELP
by hcstreetriding / September 16, 2006 2:05 PM PDT

ok so i found a mobo that i think i like. i read the maual. all for the Pentium D 820 processor looks good as far as i can tell. however there seems to be some trouble with memory!!! The mother board is the Asus P5NSLI

my build is:
Intel Pentium D 820
BFG Nvidia 7600 GT OC
two, 1 Gb sticks of Corsair ddr2 533mhz memory(this is really what i am asking about)
550 watt Nspire psu
us robotics pci modem

is this going to work?? and should i post this as a new discussion? thanx

Collapse -
Answer to HEY HELP....it'son the ASUS WEBSITE...that's
by VAPCMD / September 16, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

the only place to find it. What's it say ???????

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?