Question

ASUS any good?

I'm looking to get a new laptop and I have been eyeing some of the ASUS computers. I mainly just surf the net and save pictures/music to my computer. I don't game and watch very few movies on it. Is the ASUS brand a good brand?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: ASUS any good?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ASUS any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I have to go with no.

APPLE is a good "brand." Your question was to the "brand" and not about the laptop you were looking at.

They do make a lot of models and some are made better than others. If you look at their 300 buck model then you could come away thinking they make junk. Or you could look at there ROG models and think otherwise.

Don't confuse a good "brand" with good "products."
Bob

- Collapse -
To clarify

I'm looking for a brand that makes a good product. I don't plan on spending thousands of dollars on a laptop. My budget is under $700.

- Collapse -
Then I fear the news is grim.

Every maker has had a no-so-great model. Picking by brand is no assurance the device they made will be "good."

At 700 bucks, I suggest you look at the top 100 at amazon.com and you'll get into the mainstream of what folk like and are buying the most. Then you can check out user reviews on those models at newegg.com and amazon.

Here's the starter link:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Laptop/zgbs/pc/565108

Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

I'll check out the link. Thank you!

- Collapse -
PC Magazine ...

does a "Best Budget aptop write-up every month.

Here is a link to this months:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385602,00.asp?obref=obinsite

If you do ANY multi-tasking steer clear of any Intel Atom processor laptops and also ensure that it has a DVD reader/writer as it will be needed somewhere along the line.

Of course if you are just saving photos and not doing a lot of photo editing and just listen to music but don't make music you might be happy with the cheap value laptops that Walmart sells as they generally do the job and have the advantage of not costing much to replace. Even a high end ;aptop can have problems and the problem can be compounded with a service department that isn't big on service - replacing one involves a much greater expense.

CNET Forums