Desktops forum

General discussion

ASUS A8N-E UPGRADE HELP REQUIRED

by vilavb / April 14, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

Hi,

I own a ASUS A8N-E motherboard with 1 GB RAM, a 120 GB Hard Disk, an AMD 3200+ Athlon 64 processor and a PowerColor ATi 128MB X300 PCI-Express graphic card, running Windows XP SP2

Problem 1) - I recently purchased another 1 GB RAM module. However there seems to be no performance gain in applications like Adobe After Effects or Alias Maya.

Problem 2) Is it a good idea to upgrade my graphics card? Will this result in any performance improvement in After Effects or Maya?

Problem 3) If I do buy a new graphics card can i use the old one as well. The A8N-E motherboard manual speaks of a Universal PCI-E slot that can accomodate another PCI-E card (like a graphics card). Is this possible?

Many Thanks

Vilav

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS A8N-E UPGRADE HELP REQUIRED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS A8N-E UPGRADE HELP REQUIRED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 10:35 PM PDT

The big performance gains for XP occurs at steps from...

64MB to 128MB
128MB to 256MB or 512MB

And then it starts to not pay off much from 512MB to 1GB and from 1 to 2GB you barely notice the step up.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by vilavb / April 14, 2008 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds proper.

Hey there R. Proffitt

Thanks for your prompt response.

Is there anything that can be done about the rest of the problems?

vilav

Collapse -
Just my thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Problem 2) Is it a good idea to upgrade my graphics card? Will this result in any performance improvement in After Effects or Maya?

For those? No. But your choice as such cards give better gains to "games."

Problem 3) If I do buy a new graphics card can i use the old one as well. The A8N-E motherboard manual speaks of a Universal PCI-E slot that can accomodate another PCI-E card (like a graphics card). Is this possible?

I'll write no. The A8N-E has just one PCI-E slot. To get dual displays you'll have to try an older PCI card or a newer dual display PCI-E card.

Bob

Collapse -
upgrade for after effects and maya
by ramarc / April 15, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

1) the extra gig should help after effects but you'll probably have to change its configuration a bit. read these two articles:
http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives/adobe_after_effects_and_ram_previews.php
http://news.vertustech.com/Photoshop-Tutorials/re-758_Using-more-than-2GB-of-RAM-in-After-Effects.aspx

bump your image cache size up to 65% and your max memory usage down to 110%. this will force after effects to recalc its memory strategy based on your new ram.

maya 8+ also has a memory autoconfiguration tool. it too may need to be re-run to take advantage of your extra ram.

2) a better graphics card will improve maya performance if you turn hardware rendering on. maya can use a graphics card to assist in rendering shadows, anti-aliasing, reflectivity, and transparency. read your docs on how to do so; you may need to set the MAYA_ENABLE_HWR_CG_PROGRAMS and MAYA_HWR_CG_FRAGMENT_PROFILE environment variables.

3) if you do get a video card and can't afford/don't want a professional open gl card (quadro or fire gl), nvidia geforce cards are generally considered better choices than ati radeons for open gl use.

the x300 is an old card. new cards will have dual monitor support, so keeping the x300 isn't buying you anything unless you want 3 or more monitors. also, if you upgrade to a geforce card (like a 9600gt), you should definitely remove the x300 and uninstall its drivers completely.

Collapse -
great
by vilavb / April 16, 2008 3:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
a good graphics card will need the x16 slot
by ramarc / April 17, 2008 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: great

x4 slots are good for hard drive controllers and such, but a fast graphics card will require an x16 slot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.