Desktops forum

General discussion

ASUS A7V8X-X computer just turned off and won't start

by campe / December 8, 2003 2:23 AM PST

I have an ASUS A7V8X-X with an AMD 1.4Gz that just zapped off while editing a document, and now it won't turn on. At first I thought it was a bad power supply so I replaced it with another from my kid's PC and still won't turn on. When powered up, the fan trys to kick start and then nothing. The little LED light inside the MB turns on with power. I disconneted the HD, CDs and Floppy so just the MB is powered and still nothing. The MB is just 2 months old.

Is the MB bad or could it be something else? Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ASUS A7V8X-X computer just turned off and won't start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ASUS A7V8X-X computer just turned off and won't start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:ASUS A7V8X-X computer just turned off and won't start
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2003 2:38 AM PST

I would remove the CPU and see if it powers up. The CPUs do a meltdown and this is a common problem.

Video on demand if you want to watch it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:ASUS A7V8X-X computer just turned off and won't start
by campe / December 8, 2003 2:43 AM PST

What's funny is, it doesn't even hit the bios, no tests, and no beeps. How would I know if it powers upwithout CPU ? Should I plug a fan in?

I was just reading up on bad capacitors. I need to check to see if any are "blown".

Collapse -
Right now, no fans...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2003 2:48 AM PST

It's much like the old melted CPU syndrome. You remove the CPU and see if the unit powers up. No beeps are expected, just fans and maybe some LEDs.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Right now, no fans...
by Imnowhere / December 10, 2003 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Right now, no fans...

I have the exact same problem, but i have an ASUS a7v133. I tried taking out the cpu but it doesn't make a difference. Is there anything else that could cause this problem.

Collapse -
Strip it down...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 9:25 PM PST

To the least number of parts to power up...

Just two...

Motherboard and Power Supply Unit (PSU.)

If that doesn't power up, one of the two units left is dead.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Strip it down...
by Imnowhere / December 11, 2003 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: Strip it down...

My guess it's the power supply because when i wrote the problem to Asus they replyed me that the light on the MB doesn't mean the power suplly is adequate. Anyway i tried to strip it down and still nothing.
Thanks for the help though.

Collapse -
"Memory Anyone"
by nworley / December 17, 2003 6:44 AM PST

I have an A7N8X-Deluxe and an A7N8X-VM and both boards will try to boot up with out memory, but can't of course. The fans on the CPU spin, but I have to have memory for it to post and boot. If you have one strip of memory then that strip may have become unseated or the memory may have been blown. "The Fans try to kickstart" I presume that you are talking about the power supply? If so then that indicates a bad power supply, or one that is being shorted to ground. In this case it could be the motherboard, possibly a capacitor shorted to ground. If you mean the CPU fan then the same thing. If the motherboard is only a few months old then I believe that they are warranted for one year by the manufacturer ASUS.

Norm

Collapse -
Re:ASUS A7V8X-X computer just turned off and won't start
by rocks3906 / December 21, 2003 2:42 PM PST

I to am working on fixing an Asus Socket A A7V8 motherboard. It would restart with no warning or error messages. Now it wont boot. All the fans come on even the cpu fans, but i cant open the cdrom door.

Collapse -
That CDROM DOOR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2003 11:20 PM PST

Remove the WIDE IDE cable. If power is proper (+12V and +5V) the drive will open and close on a good drive. It would be a good idea to try the manual eject if the button fails, but CDROM units can be tested to some degree without a computer...

Bob

Collapse -
ASUS A7V8X-MX SE won't start
by nikthebest2 / January 3, 2011 5:41 PM PST
In reply to: That CDROM DOOR.

i received a mobo and only the fans and the led turns on, the cpu get hot really quickly because i put my hand on the heatsink.... but all those little square chip next to the cpu where there are those connection ports get hot instantly when you press the pwoer button.... i got a brand new cpu, ram...... i have wasted 100$ on this machine Sad .....

Collapse -
7 years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2011 12:54 AM PST

I'm unsure how this old discussion applies.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.