Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Astromenda

by michhala / September 26, 2014 7:29 PM PDT

I am devastated by this hijacker....Two installed themselves on my computer when I was updating CCleaner and I did not give permission.I got rid of one of them, I think, but cannot make the removal directions work for Astromenda. I got as far as uninstalling the program. Am home sick and need help. Can anyone suggest a phone tech who could walk me through it?

Miki
Windows 7 Home
Internet Explorer 11

michhala has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Astromenda
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Astromenda
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by michhala

Collapse -
CCleaner: Now and in the future..
by Carol~ Moderator / September 28, 2014 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Astromenda

Hi Miki,

I'm so very sorry to hear what you've been going through ... medically and otherwise. Sad

• Before going any further, I thought I'd first let you know what I do to insure a "clean" install. Piriform offers a Standard, Portable and Slim build. The latter is what I use. It comes without any toolbars or third-party software.

The link for the Slim build can be found at the bottom of the download page where you see Builds. In the updates thread, it's the same as the link for the "Portable and Installer".

Important Note: The Slim version is not posted on the Builds page until a few days after the new version of CCleaner is released. If you don't care to wait, you can always download the Standard build, making sure to uncheck any unwanted offers.

Where did Astromenda and Advance Elite come from?

Only a guess on my part ....

I try to make sure the download links in the update threads are free of any PUP's. For example, I included the following warning underneath the download link, when CCleaner updated in July:

'The above link directs you to a page for both free and paid versions. If downloading the FREE version, select Piriform.com from the list of 3 download sites.'

When testing the download, I found Download.com was one of the 3 sites. Hence, the warning. I didn't see it again when I tested it in August. Quite frankly, I didn't test it this month. I took for granted (something I shouldn't have done) they pulled Download.com from their list of sites. Is it possible you were re-directed elsewhere?

My guess is you're not going to rest easy until your system is clean. If you're not up to doing it yourself, you might want to consider posting at BleepingComputer where they will walk you through the removal process.

Best of luck on all fronts..
Carol

Collapse -
Carol
by michhala / October 8, 2014 5:51 PM PDT

I appreciate your post -- thank you so much. There must be some misunderstanding re the hijackers still being on my machine -- I cleaned my computer back in the early part of this thread on September 27. All it took was removing both Advanced Elite and Astromenda from my Programs and Features and doing a few adjustments on IE 11 browser. My computer has behaved perfectly since then.

I have not yet updated CCleaner, but when I do, I will follow your carefully planned instructions, which I think I already do -- I have been using CCleaner for many years and never had a problem.....but it only takes one time to do damage Happy

Thsnk you for being there.....Miki

Collapse -
Miki
by Carol~ Moderator / October 9, 2014 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Carol

Hi Miki,

Maybe not a misunderstanding. Those who (inadvertently) installed this type of adware, weren't as lucky as you. Some need to run additional tools. At this point I'd add .. count your blessings! Happy

As far as CCleaner is concerned ...

I noted in my post the Slim Build comes without any toolbars or 3rd party software. The Builds page doesn't add the download link until days after a new version is released. The Slim build can now be found here.

I'm going to assume you haven't updated CCleaner yet. I hadn't updated to CCleaner v 4.18.4844 until just now. I thought you might want to know what to expect with CCleaner's new Active Monitoring Feature.

Piriform states:

'In this release, we've added one of our most requested features to the free version- Active System Monitoring. While not as powerful as the Professional version, CCleaner Free can now monitor your system in the background and detect when to Clean based on space that can be saved.'

I had NO desire to have CCleaner running at startup. It's why I disabled Active Monitoring. If you wish to do the same, you will see a small window (lower right) which looks like this. Close (x) the window which states "CCleaner is now monitoring your computer..".

If done correctly, the only time you will see their icon (in the tray) is when you open CCleaner.

IF you DO want Active System Monitoring download the Slim Build from the Builds page and follow the prompts. For additional information see Changing monitoring settings (CCleaner Free).

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Astromenda
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 7:59 PM PDT

- You say you uninstalled it. Then it's done, isn't it?
- What removal instructions exactly?
- Didn't MBAM or your antivirus do the job?

Did you update ccleaner from their own site (piriform.com)? That should be clean. Or did you get it from some shady download site (like download.com)? Never use those sites, if possible.

Kees

Collapse -
Astromenda
by michhala / September 27, 2014 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Astromenda

Kees -- uninstalling program is only first step to eliminating hijacker Astromenda. Norton Internet Security does not pick up. I was upating my CCleaner free from Piriform as usual and as I have done for many years. I understand this hijacker attaches itsef to free programs.

Miki

Collapse -
Re: first step
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 9:01 PM PDT

So you need to do more steps, but you don't tell which steps and why you're stuck at what points.

Being sick, although a good reason to be unable to do quite a lot of things, isn't a good excuse for not being able to follow clear written instructions. Maybe it would be even more difficult for you to follow spoken instructions (by a remote tech on the phone).

But given what Andromenda is (a browser hijacker) I'd just reset your browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, you didn't tell, so I can't tell how) to defaults and start all over with customising it to your needs, like you did in the past.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees
by michhala / September 28, 2014 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: first step

Kees wrote: "Being sick, although a good reason to be unable to do quite a lot of things, isn't a good excuse for not being able to follow clear written instructions. Maybe it would be even more difficult for you to follow spoken instructions (by a remote tech on the phone)."

Not nice, Kees... Having said that, it seems I managed to eliminate the hijackers after all.

Miki

Collapse -
Sorry.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Kees

Didn't mean to insult you.

Good to read you managed to solve your issues, even being ill. Great job.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you, Kees
by michhala / September 29, 2014 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

You have most often been the first to respond to my posts and always very kind....I appreciate that.

Miki

Collapse -
Answer
Hi Miki.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 26, 2014 9:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Dafydd
by michhala / September 27, 2014 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Miki.

Thank you again for your reply. The link you are suggesting is what I am working from.....problem is I am sick right now and cannot handle it.

Miki

Collapse -
Hope you feel better soon.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Dafydd

Dafydd.

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you, Dafydd
by michhala / September 27, 2014 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
1 pint too many ?
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Dafydd
Devil

Digger
Collapse -
oops
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 pint too many ?

I read it wrong and thought Dafydd was sick....Sorry , Get well soon

Digger

Collapse -
(NT) No problem :)
by michhala / September 27, 2014 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: oops
Collapse -
Oh, so you didn't mind if I was sick.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

I'd swear at you in Welsh if we had any swear words.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sorry Mate LOL
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 9:33 AM PDT
Silly
Collapse -
Try the same question tomorrow after my sunday pint.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Mate LOL

I won't argue then.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Might have one myself tomorrow
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 9:56 AM PDT

During the Bears/Packers game Cool

Digger

Collapse -
Neck 'em down ewe.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 10:03 AM PDT

Go Bears!

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Am on chemotherapy....not alcohol :)
by michhala / September 27, 2014 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 pint too many ?

Right now I have been trying to get back my original IE page to "always blank" and could not make that work.So I did the default and it brought up Bing which I do not want.I need someone to work on it remotely or come to house.

Miki

Collapse -
Not a good idea
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 3:06 AM PDT

to download stuff when your'e sick. You just feel crappy and don't pay attention to what should be un-checked. I downloaded Ccleaner yesterday from the Piriform site and received a clean download as I un-checked the offers for unwanted free software.

I spent 12 hours yesterday clearing all the malware and restoring a computer to a usable state and creating new back ups.

Digger

Collapse -
Digger, I was very careful
by michhala / September 27, 2014 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a good idea

I did not check off anything wrong on CCleaner Free update -- I am very careful about such things....have been doing it for years. The update somehow was interferred with.....I was updating to 4.18 and it installed the same as I already had which was 4.17.4808.

As if things are not bad enough, I cannot retrieve my "always blank" IE Homepage through Internet Options....I am only able to get the default one, which is Bing and which I do not want.

Glad your computer is OK now.

Miki

Collapse -
I booted my Windows computer
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 4:11 AM PDT

opened Internet Options and for my Homepage I typed in " About:Blank " and selected it.

I than, while still in internet options, selected the Tabs button and in the area that says " When a new tab is open " , I choose A blank page . And now every tab is a blank page ...

Give it a go ...

Digger

Collapse -
Bless you, Digger
by michhala / September 27, 2014 6:55 AM PDT

It worked -- actually I had done everything right EXCEPT I did not "select" the "About:Blank" when I opened Internet Options, and I would not have thought of it if you had not suggested it. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel better already.....now it feels like I have come home to what is familiar.

I am a bit fearful to do update to 4.18 CCleaner Free again. When I downloaded CCleaner Free with the Astromenda, if there were any free offers, I would not have checked them.....do you have the paid version and did you get ver 4.18 when you did your clean download yesterday?.

Thank you, again.....so appreciate and very grateful to have my "blank page" back.

Collapse -
I just downloaded
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Bless you, Digger

the free version from Piriform and un-checked the bundled offers That were pre-checked.

Glad everything worked out.
Heal Up soon
Digger

Collapse -
Digger -- will wait a day or two......
by michhala / September 27, 2014 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I just downloaded

.....and try downloading CCleaner Free again....problem was that it never gave me the new version 4.18 I was supposed to get.......insted it twice installed my older version of 4.17, and it once installed 4.11.

Thank you for your replies......they are much appreciated.

Miki

Collapse -
Uninstall
by itsdigger / September 27, 2014 7:54 AM PDT

Uninstall the older version first and do a fresh install of Ccleaner . Don't update it , install it..
Let us know how it turns out...
Best of luck
Digger

Collapse -
(NT) Will do, Digger...thank you
by michhala / September 27, 2014 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?