Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Assuming its permissible to address this subject, I'm really

by Ziks511 / November 19, 2006 8:39 AM PST

enjoying then new more pleasant discourse and civility at SE. And for those who saying "Yeah, sure." the answer is, Yes, I did get caught posting a joke from the Daily Show which was not deemed postable. I'm happy to make the sacrifice for a more pleasant environment.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Assuming its permissible to address this subject, I'm really
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Assuming its permissible to address this subject, I'm really
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Permission to discuss and be civil is always granted
by Steven Haninger / November 19, 2006 10:00 AM PST

or at least I should hope. New subject material would be good too. The old, I feel, is long ago stale and tasteless. BTW, just dug out some old Green Linnet CDs that got lost in the pile and am listening to "ad vielle que pourra" as well as some Galician music tonight. No one here at SE with the possible exception of yourself will have a clue what this sounds like. Music is a nice retreat and there's no end to what can be discovered. Still, I cannot find an instrument I can play. Mostly they end up as wall decorations. I think I still have room for a bombarde in the rec room...maybe will give that a try next. Happy

Collapse -
What a SNOB
by ice_bear_joe / November 19, 2006 10:17 AM PST

No one here at SE with the possible exception of yourself will have a clue what this sounds like.

Collapse -
Snobbery, like beauty, is in the eye or ear of the beholder
by Ziks511 / November 19, 2006 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: What a SNOB

and reflects only on the hearer or viewer. Being able to share something good with someone who may appreciate it is a good thing (I got that from Martha Stewart, who is Polish not Scottish, and normally doesn't impinge on my radar).

Rob

Collapse -
Exactly correct about
by Steven Haninger / November 19, 2006 8:22 PM PST
"Being able to share something good with someone who may appreciate it is a good thing " and running into another person who has also found an appreciation for the same is a discovery in itself. How many times have you sat with a stranger struggling to be polite enough to strike up some sort of conversation when suddenly you hit on some obscure common interest. What a delight I find that to be. Suddenly the awkwardness is gone and it becomes harder to find a place to end rather than start.
Collapse -
My sincere apologies
by Steven Haninger / November 19, 2006 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: What a SNOB

if you are offended. It's never been my intention to do so and my phrasing could have been better. One of my problems is that I don't know what it feels like to be personally offended. I am either so naive that I don't recognize attempts to offend me or blessed with the ability to shrug them off. As such, I may speak out of turn but with no attempt to project any malice. I acknowledge your comments.

Collapse -
Wonderful !!! Green Linnet was and I hope still is a terrif
by Ziks511 / November 19, 2006 10:49 AM PST

-ic Label, and I'm a sucker for Galician Celtic music. I have only about a dozen Green Linnet albums, and my favorite Gallician group is Miladoiro whose album O berro seco is transfixing.

It's not snobbery to rejoice in something that gives you and perhaps others enormous pleasure, whether it is widely known or not. Pleasure is where you find it and is subject neither to criticism or dispute unless it involves whips and an unwilling object. Glad you found them Steve and are still enjoying them. I'm still hoping to 1. retreive the sad remains of my Rock and Roll collection (Anthologies and Import items) from the friend who has been (I hope) keeping them for me, and to convert most of it to MP3's on a computer, because most of it is unavailable in any format any more.

De gustibus non disputandum: There is no arguing about taste. Which quotation should provoke another accusation of snobbery when it is merely derived from a wider pool of knowledge.

Rob

Collapse -
Whatever
by ice_bear_joe / November 19, 2006 11:33 AM PST

but this is what i found to be very SNOBBISH and i quote.

"No one here at SE with the possible exception of yourself will have a clue what this sounds like."

Collapse -
That is because
by Cindi Haynes / November 19, 2006 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Whatever

Steven and Rob have discussed their shared musical interests before, and no one else at Speakeasy listens to or has heard much of that genre of music. At least no one spoke up about it.

They are not excluding you, they are appreciating the fact that someone else enjoys the same thing without having to explain it.

Cindi

Collapse -
Thanks Cindy for your lucid explanation of our little quirk
by Ziks511 / November 19, 2006 3:44 PM PST
In reply to: That is because

Green Linnet is an American label for American, English, Scottish, Irish, French, and other European originated forms of folk music. I used to play guitar, and travelled to folk festivals all over the US, and a few in Canada as well, though I never played clubs in England because I was intimidated by the quality of musicians there. Bob Dylan mentions Martin Carthy on the back of his second album circa 1963.

When I saw him in 1968 he totally overwhelmed me, and for weeks after I considered abandoning the guitar altogether, because besides having a superb voice, he is a lethally good guitarist. Fortunately, while playing on the street, I ran into a group of people who introduced me to Davy Graham, another acoustic genius, who gave me some lessons and told me not to be an idiot comparing myself to anyone, but to find my own style and to hell with all the rest.

I still listen, but my fingers are not what they once were owing to nearly 25 years of insufficient practicing, though I can turn out a recognizable Angie (Davy Graham wrote it, not Paul Simon) or Alice's Restaurant, or a few of the ragtime tunes I used to play (Scott Joplin's Pineapple Rag, and Maple Leaf Rag) but I really wish I had a recording of what I sounded like at my peak.

I remember filling in for someone at Fox Hollow, and much of the audience got up to leave when they saw I wasn't the anticipated entertainment, though I managed to stop the mass exodus and retained about 60% of the audience, and received a very nice reception overall and some nice personal comments afterwards.

That's the background for you Ice Bear.

Rob

Collapse -
if you do put your albums on your computer
by jonah jones / November 19, 2006 12:06 PM PST

or CDs, convert to wav and not mp3...

if your ears can still hear the difference, you'll appreciate the difference -mp3s lose something in the process

visit a good audio forum and ask about "lossless compression"

jonah "still listens to alan stivell" jones

Wink

Collapse -
You probably remember my post about seeing him with his
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2006 8:01 PM PST

electric band and blowing them off the stage with a full set of unamplified Highland pipes. There was a special on PBS about 4 months ago which I recorded on PVR, including endless pledge breaks, that had a very bald Alan Stivel playing mostly flageolet (a penny whistle with a conical bore bigger at the top than the bottom) made of wood, and conducting a really good large folk orchestra. Unfortunately I failed to transcribe it to tape before returning the conventional box for the High Def version, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for the DVD.

My son, the boy genius, has already been after me about that, and reccommends a minimum of 192 kbps as an MP3 file, but I may well take your advice and use WAV files. I can always shrink them for use, but these are going to be the masters. I'm also looking for good cleaning up software to remove pops and clicks and hiss where my rather heavy usage may have caused some deterioration. I have been through 3 copies of La Renaissance de la Harpe Celtique before getting a CD of it, and I'm making a copy of an obscure follow up to it with a 16th Century drawing of a city in sepia and brown on the cover. Title will come to me just as I post this, of course. I have to send it to my friend the vicar in London, and to you of course Jonah.

Thanks for the heads up and reinforcement of my son's suggestion.

Rob

Collapse -
I do too, Rob.
by Cindi Haynes / November 19, 2006 11:52 AM PST

And it's only slightly more difficult to be nice than it is to be mean, but well worth the effort, I say! Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
I know that to some I came on like Atilla the Hun,but mostly
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2006 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: I do too, Rob.

it was reaction to what I saw posted. I should have known better, I should have been restrained, I should have known when to turn away and sleep on a scathing reply, but I was weak. The current regime makes that much easier, and I hope I come across as more the person I really am, than that person who was perpetually in a snit about something he'd just read.

As I have said so many times in the past, I'm sorry for my short fuse, and I will do my best to be a positive contributor from now on.

Thanks Cindy, you're a love.

Rob

PS. There was an English post-punk folk band called "Atilla the Stockbroker". Best title I've seen in years.

Collapse -
"don't fight it, rob, it's no use
by WOODS-HICK / November 19, 2006 2:21 PM PST

Sooner or later, you'll have to go to sleep. while you're asleep, they'll absorb your minds, your memories and you're reborn into an untroubled world...Tomorrow you'll be one of us...There's no need for love...Love. Desire. Ambition. Faith. Without them, life is so simple, believe me."

SE seed & feed catalog

you may enjoy more comfort here. pillow?

warm milk and cookies here

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.