HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Assuming anyone remembers The French Lieutenant's Woman

by Ziks511 / July 3, 2011 2:07 PM PDT

at least the film. Jeremy Irons while preparing on screen for the role discusses the prevalence of prostitution in the unequal society of Britain during the 19th Century.

There are a number of free Newspapers here, two of which include full colour sections at the back with ads for Massage Parlours, Spas, and Independents. The last one I looked through last week on the subway had 15 1/2 pages of women, and 1 1/2 of men, 2 more pages of phone numbers to call, and a page of hiring ads.

I'd bet there are the same thing available in every city of any size in the US. If you don't think the new increasing availability of prostitutes isn't related to unequal income distribution then you're on another planet.

People do what they have to to get by. If a girl has half a shape and few marketable skills should she ch0ose $50 a half hour times 8 or 10 customers in an 8 hour day, or $8.00 behind a cash register for 8 hours.

All because of income inequity for which SEites are willing to fight to the death. Is there a serious incidence of Brain injury at SE that none of this get's through.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Assuming anyone remembers The French Lieutenant's Woman
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Assuming anyone remembers The French Lieutenant's Woman
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what a twist
by James Denison / July 3, 2011 2:19 PM PDT

Trying to blame prostitution on conservatives.

Collapse -
(NT) You mean the maligned virgin?
by James Denison / July 3, 2011 2:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Coughing here....
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 5:36 PM PDT

>>If you don't think the new increasing availability of prostitutes isn't related to unequal income distribution then you're on another planet<<

If you believe that there is an increasing availabity because of unequal income distribution, can you explain to me why there is actually an increase in kidnappings of girls being sold in slave trade and actually being brought INTO our country across the Mexican border? There shouldn't be any NEED for that according to you because our OWN women are willing to work on the streets because of the unequal pay distribution in 'normal' jobs.

Also....how much of that money do you think actually ends up in the woman's pocket instead of in her pimp's pocket or the 'slave owner's'???

There has ALWAYS been a pay inequity between women and men, and it has nothing to do with liberal or conversatives...it's been because of MEN who, still too often, don't believe that women are worth more than men. It's just not as obvious publicly in this country as it is in others. Even with laws being passed to kinda-sorta 'fix that', the beat goes on without much notice or fanfair.

Collapse -
I assume this is a typo
by Roger NC / July 4, 2011 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Coughing here....
...because of MEN who, still too often, don't believe that women are worth more than men.

I'm sure you meant as much. Mischief
Collapse -
Yeah, you can assume that second option LOL
by TONI H / July 4, 2011 1:47 AM PDT

OR, you can also assume that I forgot to add the last few words of 'more than men in certain circumstances, even if it's the same job'.

Collapse -
I wouldn't try to derive too much from that

I could also postulate that an increase in the amount of advertizing for "working women" (and men) could signify that there's been a decrease in demand....thus requiring extra effort and expenditures to find work. From that notion, I could postulate one of two things. It could signify an improvement in morality...or it could signify that those so inclined to "entertain" themselves in this fashion have found themselves to be cash poor. If that's the case, should we consider that additional funding should be found to bail out this industry also?...or maybe government should own a piece of it? Devil

Collapse -
Don't you think that
by Roger NC / July 4, 2011 1:16 AM PDT
Is there a serious incidence of Brain injury at SE that none of this get's through.

is an unreasonable and directly insulting remark? You're insulting everyone that disagrees with you. I admit that's not very unusual here from numerous sources, but that doesn't change insult.
Collapse -
I accept that. It was a stupid and contentious remark and I
by Ziks511 / July 4, 2011 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't you think that

should like to take it back. Thank you, Roger.

Rob

Collapse -
You seem to make a few of those
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 8:34 PM PDT

Like Troll, mind boggling ignorance, for example.

I have a philosophy. I stole it from ancient Rome." When in Rome to as the Romans do".

Actually it seems that is attributed to Saint Ambrose, around the 4th century AD, but there you go, never heard of him.

I've amended it for my own use of course. "When in some forum hosted by the US, and frequented mostly by Americans, try not to continuously insult them". Of course being a simple pathetic person myself I don't always get it right, but openly flaming and inciting is something I do try to avoid.

It's a shame you don't subscribe to the same principles.

I see no reason for your top post, so I am locking this thread.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.